Notices

relapse is killing me

Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Two things that have worked for me.

One is Rational Recovery. Check out this thread in another forum here. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...iscussion.html

Another thing that has helped with me is I started running again. I find it is a lot easier to go towards a good place (running) that it is to walk away from a bad place (drinking).

Tell everyone about your running, how far, how often, how good or bad you are. Next time some one says about going someplace to drink it's easy to say no thanks, I'm training for a run. Most folks will be understanding because everyone knows what fanatics runners are.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

How to say no to a friend? Just say no. A friend will understand and accept your decision. Sounds like you're making a lame excuse to say yes. Either you're ready to stop making excuses and give up drinking for real or you're not. Search yourself and see if you're really ready to do whatever it takes to get sober. If you're not then that's fine. Just keep trying and keep faith that one day you really will be ready.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Everything to gain...and nothing to lose!

Originally Posted by amit0861 View Post
thanks guys for your support ...i have tried all kinds of things except AA
That shouldtell you something, amit.

Relapse is just part of recovery.
On the contrary...relapse is not a prerequisite for recovery. Many people become sober and stay sober without ever suffering a relapse. I drank again after doing my 90 meetings in 90 days. Thank God, my daughter and sister got me right back into rehab. I realized I was still in denial and hadn't fully commited to recovery. Fortunately, that was over thirty years ago. It's much easier to stay sober than to come back from relapse...especially if the relapses are repetitive. They can wear you out...the strength to maintain continuous sobriety can be found in the rooms of AA. SR helps when you aren't able to attend meetings. The combination of AA meetings and SR is awesome!!!