Notices

Today started so well....

Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today started so well....

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a great weekend, it was my first sober weekend in years (I haven't had a drink since thursday night) and I must admit, apart from a bit of a wobble on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon, it felt good!

I woke up this morning feeling full of optimism and really looking forward to the day.. and this feeling lasted until I got home at 5.30pm...

my usual routine on a Monday is to have a drink or 6 on a monday night, after such a stressful hectic day I always felt that I had earned it (stupid thinking I now know) But tonight, as I sat there watching 'come dine with me' the temptation to go and get a bottle of wine was huge.. and although I haven't it is all I can think of and that is now making me feel so low.

Thought if I popped in and shared it might make things not seem so bad, hope you don't mind xx thank you x
Old 04-23-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya, my monday night would have consisted of the same, you aint alone and its so difficult to keep pushing the toughts away..but keep at it, your doin real good :-)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello TimeTo,

That is very normal in early sobriety - the cravings...you need to just ride it out. Sit there and think through your feelings. Sapling was the one that mentioned mindfulness to me (along with a handful of other SR peoples) and it has helped me and I think it might help you if you want to google it and give it a go.
Definitely something to consider.
Congratulations on your sobriety.
I went through my first sober weekends (in a long time) as well. Weekends are my problem...so I got through that fine, of course I craved, but instead of buying booze or drinking that nasty poison, I made me some tea. Maybe try doing that? Or go out to a corner store and buy a bunch of tasty different drinks like Arizona Tea's and such...the blueberry green tea is sooo good (and low in calories!).

Of course we don't mind either, vent away and post as much as you want.
You can make it to the next day and when you wake up, you WILL feel fantastic!!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seasidegirllau View Post
Hiya, my monday night would have consisted of the same, you aint alone and its so difficult to keep pushing the toughts away..but keep at it, your doin real good :-)
Thank you Sea, so are you xx glad you had a great weekend, I envy you being by the sea that is one of my favourite places to be x
Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's what this site is for....Come and talk it out before you head out to buy a bottle of wine...Not after....You'll get the encouragement you need here.....To do the right thing. Those Teas sound pretty good.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Baylis I will give it a google :-)

At the weekend I mentioned to my ex that I had decided that I wasn't going to be drinking alcohol, and within the hour I had one bottle of what must be every soft drink and tea/coffe type you could find in tesco's LOL.. think he was pleased with the news! I have been trying them all out and they are very nice.. it's just then these stupid thoughts keep coming in my head and it is almost like I am having a constant arguement with myself.. it is beginning to get very tiring. Thanks again x
Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so pleased that I have Sapling.. I was so close about an hour ago.. thank you guys xx
Old 04-23-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you are still sober~!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's normal...As days go by those thoughts get less...What are you doing for recovery?...You should find an AA meeting that starts when you get out of work...Be a great way to get you through that time and ready for your night.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Londons pretty cool to :-) both the sea and the city will be even better through sober eyes hey...keep at it hun :-)))
Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am trying to do it on my own Sapling, by the time I finish work I have to rush to pick up my daughter and she is not old enough yet to leave on her own.

I am working on it though, I have found that there is an AA group not far from me, now just working out how to get a regular babysitter without saying where I am going, not ready to tell parents etc yet and ex is very unreliable... Also must admit the thought of walking into the meeting scares me to death! (I am very shy and also the thought of meeting someone I know and then them telling someone else that they saw me and this getting back to my family or worse my daughters friends is really putting me off)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ooops.. sorry computer glip.. didn't mean to post twice.. how do you delete if that happens?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seasidegirllau View Post
Londons pretty cool to :-) both the sea and the city will be even better through sober eyes hey...keep at it hun :-)))
I am actually in a market town on the outskirts of London.. but it is a lovely town x
Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can edit a post for up to 15 mins after posting, but only a mod or admin can completely delete a post - I did that for you

I'm glad you got through that rough time too - it's hard in the beginning but in my experience it gets easier...keep working on your recovery and reaching out for help TTGAL
Old 04-23-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimeToGetALife View Post
I am trying to do it on my own Sapling, by the time I finish work I have to rush to pick up my daughter and she is not old enough yet to leave on her own.

I am working on it though, I have found that there is an AA group not far from me, now just working out how to get a regular babysitter without saying where I am going, not ready to tell parents etc yet and ex is very unreliable... Also must admit the thought of walking into the meeting scares me to death! (I am very shy and also the thought of meeting someone I know and then them telling someone else that they saw me and this getting back to my family or worse my daughters friends is really putting me off)
Everybody is scared for their first meeting...I was. Maybe some day...At least you know one is there.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There you go! I know that it is hard...that those thoughts keep coming back and you feel like you are in a mini argument...(or maybe even a big argument) with yourself.
I think that tonight I am going to get myself some soft drinks as well...I never drink pop at all...but it is better then wine.
Of course I crave.
Last night as I was making dinner (and Saturdays and Sundays are usually the nights I pound 'em back and have the most "intellectual" conversations with people...which usually end up in arguments or heated debates which offend others) and I thought to myself that I would loooove to just sit there and have some glasses of wine while making dinner and just relax.
It was 5pm.
I then realized that if I did that...that I would only feel that euphoric feeling after 1-3 drinks...after that I would become sluggish, tired, lazy...dinner would take longer and longer to make because I would put the stove on super low...the boyfriend would start getting hungry and eventually I would make the dinner and the next day when I woke up with a hangover I wouldn't even remember eating it.
Sad.

I remember eating my delicious dinner last night...then I had some tea, did my hair, took a bath and checked out SR and went to bed sober...
Woke up to remembering everything...no hangover...and the boyfriend not being pissed off at me because we got into another argument.

At the end of the day, what I am trying to say, is that the craving doesn't last long. Ride it out. You won't regret it.
It is better then feeling like ****.
And you will be so proud of yourself that you have another sober day under your belt.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

LOL Baylis, its like you just descibed my usual weekends!! When written out like that it doesn't look like such a good or relaxing time does it..

I think I am going to do what you did last night... I am going to have a nice bath and then maybe a hot chocolate and read a book or watch a bit of TV in bed... and yes, I can then notch up yet another day sober, that makes me smile :-) xxx thank you x
Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No problemo!

I hope you have a fabulous evening and if you ever want to chat then PM me!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Time - You're doing great. As everyone said, what you're feeling is normal in early recovery. Every day will find you a little stronger and more confident.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Mondays are THE hardest for me...today, no exception, so I am feeling for you.

AND, I am in Canada and, at this moment, watching come Dine With Me (cdn. version); however, at this point, the craving has passed. It is the time period of 3-4 pm (right after work) that is the hardest for me to get through...after that, I'm usually ok.

Love that show!

Best to you and way to go on getting through the Monday night cravings!