Notices

Today started so well....

Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just to let you all know that you are soooo right! (LOL - although you already knew that!)

Today was so much better and tonight has not been so bad. I woke up this morning with what felt like a hangover and a splitting headache which I thought was incredibly unfair, and I did catch myself thinking 'well I may as well had a drink!'.. however, although I felt under-the-weather all day and still do, I feel so much more positive and very proud that I have not taken that first drink!

@RevivingOphelia - it is great to finally have so many people understand were I am coming from, and glad we are all in it together, the after work time is the worst so I have decided to change my routine and do things that I wouldn't normal do after work, like work a bit later.. read a book or have a bath, when my leg injury is better I will go back to the gym - Oh, and yes Come Dine With Me is great, got to be easily one of the best shows at the moment ;-)

@Hevyn - thank you for your kind words, the support on here from everyone has been great, and as I am getting stronger I hope to be able to offer others the same support x

Hope you have all had a great day! x
Old 04-24-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good news, Time - very glad for you The headache thing is very normal in the early days. I had what felt like a hangover several times (complete with cotton mouth) but that all stopped after a few days.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early sobriety can really be rough at times. But the reward for not drinking is peace of mind and better health. Have a plan of some things to do when the urge strikes so you can get thru it without caving in. And every time you get thru it you get stronger. After about six months or so I hardly ever got cravings to drink. I got used to living, really living, and enjoy it so much I'll never go back to the old ways again.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
instant

Learning to surf the urges and understanding triggers was really useful for me. I learnt most of that at SMART but I am sure there is other sources out there.

It can be done. Urges can be unpleasant but they have a rhythm, finite end and are reasonably predictable in terms of what will bring them on.

They disappear with continued sobriety.

Getting sober is worth the trouble.