Notices

Idea's for different drinks...

Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Japanese Green Tea sounds delicious. Wonder where I could get my hands on some.
I love green tea.
And it's healthy for ya too!

I am having quite the hankering for Starbucks. :/
Non-fat vanilla latte...yumm...
Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Coffee (black), tea (black), and water (w/lemon). I keep it simple.

Oh the occasional smoothie is a good thing, too.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Jasmine tea
Pomegranate & blueberry juice
green smoothies
purple smoothies
red smoothies...

I just finished a yummy purple one:
Spinach
Banana
frozen strawberries
lots of frozen blueberries
hemp protein powder
coconut milk
nutmeg

I bought a vitamix which is a little more than 60 but so worth it. You can find other good recipes if you look up juice feasting. I try to keep a balance between fruit and veg in my smoothies so I don't do a blood sugar roller coaster. Another really really good one is carrot juice, beet juice, fresh ginger, orange, and bell peppers. Sometimes some cayenne if I'm feeling brave
Old 04-23-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Here's my smoothie recipe, since I see ProblemDrinker shared one:

1 apple, peeled, cored and cut in segments
1 banana
1 cup yogurt
1 cup mixed frozen berries
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp Chia seeds (chock full of fiber and omega 3's)
pinch of kosher salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup orange juice, depending on desired consistency
and a handful or two of kale, when it's around.

Makes 2 servings. It would be healthier if you eliminate the sugar and honey, but I like it pretty sweet.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

in the day chai tea with honey and at night a sleepy tea with honey...i actually have to have them both...i highly recommend them
Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Tons of hot tea!! All kinds.

The Crystal Lights and lemonade stuff remind me too much of my old vodka drinks.

No sodas.

BIG fan of green smoothies too!!

My favorite:

1 cup water
1 banana
Frozen blueberries
frozen strawberries
two giant handfuls of fresh spinach
whey protein powder

I use an emulsion blender on a stick. It works just fine. I have had to buy a new one after a year or so, but they are cheap.

I think its tea time now!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Fdm

I may try the green smoothie recipe. Thanks for posting!

I do have a breakfast smoothie every day that is a banana, frozen blueberries, 2 scoops 100% whey milk chocolate flavored protein powder, ground cinnamon and vanilla soy milk.

It gets me through to lunch fine. Sometimes I change out blueberries for raspberries and/or blackberries with a bit of added Georgia mountain honey.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Even more great recipes. I am excited to try these out.
And an emulsion blender instead of a blender is a great idea!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
cafe con leche....mmmmmm

I use cuban coffee and brew it in a stovetop cafetera, almost scald the milk in the microwave til it gets that skin across the top. Milk goes into the mug 3/4 full, sugar to taste, then add the coffee to taste...nothing like it!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Check out my sig. If ya have the money, go buy a juicer and juice all your own veggies and fruits and roots. I have Aloe Vera juice with apples and ginger and its very soothing to GI tract (which us alcoholics pummelled on a daily basis with inflammation).

You can make simple juices like all watermelon, all carrot, all apple, ect.

Somewhat mixed ones like apple/carrot/ginger/lemon

or my mega juice with 2 beets, 2 apples, 2 lemons, 2 handfuls of spinach and kale, thumb of ginger, 6-8 carrots, 1/2 cucumber, some cinnamon.

I want to grab some vanilla extract and try making and orange creamsicle with oranges, carrots, ginger and some of that extract.

Also, If I am down by the pool and people are drinking, I enjoyed LaCroix sparkling water to hold me over. I prefer the lemon, lime, orange and coconut flavors.

I avoid sodas as they are generally lousy for you to begin with, but if you are out somewhere and are craving alcohol, soda is 100000x better.

I also do enjoy coffee and tea.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Fdm

Originally Posted by loudog430 View Post
Check out my sig. If ya have the money, go buy a juicer and juice all your own veggies and fruits and roots. I have Aloe Vera juice with apples and ginger and its very soothing to GI tract (which us alcoholics pummelled on a daily basis with inflammation).

You can make simple juices like all watermelon, all carrot, all apple, ect.

Somewhat mixed ones like apple/carrot/ginger/lemon

or my mega juice with 2 beets, 2 apples, 2 lemons, 2 handfuls of spinach and kale, thumb of ginger, 6-8 carrots, 1/2 cucumber, some cinnamon.

I want to grab some vanilla extract and try making and orange creamsicle with oranges, carrots, ginger and some of that extract.

Also, If I am down by the pool and people are drinking, I enjoyed LaCroix sparkling water to hold me over. I prefer the lemon, lime, orange and coconut flavors.

I avoid sodas as they are generally lousy for you to begin with, but if you are out somewhere and are craving alcohol, soda is 100000x better.

I also do enjoy coffee and tea.

Can you use a nice blender for your drinks? I have a nice one that chews up my fruit well. Also, where do you buy your fruits and veggies? How is your budget like on this?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fdm View Post
Can you use a nice blender for your drinks? I have a nice one that chews up my fruit well. Also, where do you buy your fruits and veggies? How is your budget like on this?
A blender won't separate the juice from the fibrous tissue of the fruits and veggies. If you have a good juice, you literally will see, even a sweet potato disappear, and whole juice comes out, w little solid matter. I do not suggest trying to blend a sweet potato. My juicer was $150.00.

It can be expensive, but what I find is finding a cheap "base" ingredient for the juices.

Example: Blueberries are expensive at up to $3-4 for maybe 2 handfuls. You are not going to get much juice from that.

On the other hand, I can buy carrots 1/2 lb of carrots for under a $1. I use carrots as a base, then add little things like spinach, peppers, berries, w/e I feel would be good. Its a lot of trial and error too.

You can probably juice for $20 a day. Of course, I make one here and there, while enjoying fruits and veggies in my diet anyway. Or I at least try to.

The Juice Spot - Austin TX - 512-832-5533 I go here a lot and they have a good menu that shows what they juice, so its a good start.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Cafe con leche sounds delicious Soberlicious! (Ha! That rhymed! Lol.)

Loudog430 - thanks for sharing!
Spending money on a juicer and some fruit and veg will be way cheaper for me then when I bought booze on a weekly basis (would spend $210 a week).

For your drink of choice, is there anything I can sub beets with?
I only ask because I think I am allergic (I had a reaction a little while ago)...I would chance it and try again but not early in my sobriety as I am paranoid about anything that makes me feel wonky or off.
Other than that, thanks for the tips and I will definitely look into this!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
Cafe con leche sounds delicious Soberlicious! (Ha! That rhymed! Lol.)

Loudog430 - thanks for sharing!
Spending money on a juicer and some fruit and veg will be way cheaper for me then when I bought booze on a weekly basis (would spend $210 a week).

For your drink of choice, is there anything I can sub beets with?
I only ask because I think I am allergic (I had a reaction a little while ago)...I would chance it and try again but not early in my sobriety as I am paranoid about anything that makes me feel wonky or off.
Other than that, thanks for the tips and I will definitely look into this!
Beets seem pretty unique in my experience. So I am not sure. I am apparently allergic to certain nuts and fruits, but I heard the skin test isn't as reliable. A pharmacist told me you can have you blood sent to a lab to be tested for allergic reactions to certain foods. I think it was about $100 w/o insurance.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fdm View Post
Yeah definitely - I use part of an old pillowcase to strain juices. A real juicer is definitely easier but not necessary at all. Just don't use a fabric softener or a dryer sheet when you wash & dry whatever you use to strain, lol. My husband and I shop at costco so it's not very much to get a ton of fruit and veggies. A lot of stuff is organic too. In the summer some of what we use comes from the garden. I don't think we spend much more than we did shopping at the supermarket and you get a lot more which you need for juicing. Since I started paying attention to the nutrition we were getting & juicing both of us have felt better than we have in years. Plus you really do get the "glow!" We don't exist on juice alone but we do consume quite a lot of it. The rest of what we eat is vegan and I try to keep it raw as much as possible without going too crazy. It's made such a difference!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

For a wonderfully refreshing cool drink, I love iced black tea with mint. Yogi Tea makes a kind called "Refreshing Mint Revitalize" that is delicious. I just dump 4 tea bags in a pitcher and steep in the refrigerator fr a few hours. I also like Tazo lemon mate, and I've also tried several jasmine/green tea blends that are yummy.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Double post

Last edited by mayabee; 04-23-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
These posts are great! I want a juicer now lol
Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Fdm

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
Yeah definitely - I use part of an old pillowcase to strain juices. A real juicer is definitely easier but not necessary at all. Just don't use a fabric softener or a dryer sheet when you wash & dry whatever you use to strain, lol. My husband and I shop at costco so it's not very much to get a ton of fruit and veggies. A lot of stuff is organic too. In the summer some of what we use comes from the garden. I don't think we spend much more than we did shopping at the supermarket and you get a lot more which you need for juicing. Since I started paying attention to the nutrition we were getting & juicing both of us have felt better than we have in years. Plus you really do get the "glow!" We don't exist on juice alone but we do consume quite a lot of it. The rest of what we eat is vegan and I try to keep it raw as much as possible without going too crazy. It's made such a difference!
It's amazing what natural food diets will do for you, huh?

I'm almost fully following the Primal plan. My energy is much better sans carbs and my skin and digestive system is much better too.

We were not meant to eat preservative laden foods. The food pyramid is wrong. Once you get that, you will see positive results.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
3 Tbsp Chia seeds (chock full of fiber and omega 3's)
Love chia seeds. I take 1 Tbsp every day. To anyone unfamiliar with chia, it is one of the superfoods that can really deliver a giant punch of healthy with just a small amount each day. I make this the night before, put in the fridge. Then wake up at 6am, take it out of the fridge, sit on my deck, listen to the birds and chug this thing down. I have amazing energy through the work day and don't get hungry for lunch til about 11am.

1 Tbsp chia seeds
1 C water
some lime juice
some honey
That's it. Chug.