Notices

Letter to Myself

Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letter to Myself

I have been pretty active on this site for awhile, yet I still make the same ole mistake. I have tried to stay sober without AA, but I am giving a go. I went to a meeting a month ago, and it was a pleasant experience. i wish I could go this week, but I am working 14 hour shifts all week. I am going to attempt to get Friday off so I can go back to the place I went before (there's an awesome taco stand right outside it, for post-meeting snacking).

Anyways, the weekend seems to be my heel. So I am writing myself a letter. Do any one yall do this? For even reasons beyond sobriety. i was thinking about sharing it, but decided against that idea.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did & do write pep talks to myself. So when I start to feel down, overwhelmed, I can remind myself where I've been & where I need to be.

If you think it will help you, do it.

I keep a list of uplifting, thought provoking quotes also.
It helps me. Sorry you had a bad week.
I work in the medical field & see horrific things that are traumatizing. It is hard to deal with sometimes. You feel their pain.

But don't punish yourself. That's where I use the serenity prayer.
We can not control the world & life can be cruel & unfair.
But it's in letting go of what we can't control & focusing on what we can, that we find
peace.
Do whatever you have to do to stay sober
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lou, good thing bout this place is you can say whatever you want, if somethings gonna help you..post it, share it...we all fighting the same battle :-) im in the medical feild too..well known that due to the pressures and intensity of the job escapism is a big problem..usually in the form of alcohol!! You go join that group if you can get the time off..and have a Taco for me..bet the Tacos in the U.S beat the ones in the U.K big style!! xx
Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heya louddog Have you tried planning out the times you know you're going to be weak? What time of day do you have the most trouble with? What do you find yourself thinking/doing when thoughts of drinking come up? It may sound kind of silly, but maybe try to practice getting through those times. What kind of things would you think/remember to talk yourself down? You know what kind of logic will make sense to you during your weak moments. Make sure it's in place. Doing that has helped me a lot.

Originally Posted by Seasidegirllau View Post
bet the Tacos in the U.S beat the ones in the U.K big style!!
Yeah, lol. My husband is from the UK. We have you beat in tacos but he is always complaining that he can't find a good curry here. I have no clue how to produce one. I made something that I thought was naan one night and he gave me this look like, 'are you serious?' haha! (I should add that he quickly put that look away and ate his "naan" like a good spouse)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find as weird as it is that if I go and have a great workout (especially from resistance training), I go out and drink. Im guessing its due to the fact I feel great after the workout, and my ego is inflated, thus I think I can "handle alcohol." NOPE! That is what usually happens come the weekend =( I will try to strategize for that event.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm only one beer away,
from joining AA.

loudog430 ... you are one sick puppy !!

Stay close to those meetings.. that's where the magic happens.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm only one beer away,
from joining AA.

I've always liked this in your sig loudog....I'm glad to see you're getting close. It takes more than a meeting every now and then for this to work...The solution is in the steps...I love meetings but the steps are what keep me sober...They are also the design I live by. As far as the letter goes...They had us do that in rehab...But we had to write a letter to our addiction and tell it how it was destroying our lives...Get angry at it...Call it any names you want...Be truthful about what it did to you. I liked that exercise and got a lot out of it. Any thing you can do to not drink today is worth a shot...I hope you can get to some meetings...I love a good taco. Have you read the Big Book yet Loudog? The Doctors Opinion and the first 103 pages will cover the 12 steps...Take a look at it and best of luck to you.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lou( not loud ) you can do this!!!
You have before and you will get there. Im always here if you need to talk.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

l

Last edited by ARTEMIS; 04-23-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I used to write letters to other people without mailing them. I found that it helped me sort out my feelings about people or learn how to talk to them about an issue.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I say write another and mail it to yourself, as a reminder!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ARTEMIS View Post
Lou( not loud )
Oh wow, duh. Sorry lou