Notices

thinking about starting an unusual meeting...

Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Question thinking about starting an unusual meeting...

So i like to go to sci-fi, fantasy, comic, gaming conventions (think ComicCon, DragonCon, stuff like that but i go to smaller ones) and there is typically lots of drinking and parties late at night. Actually, i was head of registration for several years at a convention in my hometown of Mobile, AL and i was a very heavy drinker during that con and well known for it. I don't want to give up on that fun party scene but i do want to participate in a sober way so i've been mulling an idea around in my idea. I've been thinking about hosting a night panel about sobriety during conventions. I don't want it to be a wet towel kind of panel but one about how to enjoy the night time activities while maintaining sobriety. I know participating in the night parties is a lot like a recovering alcoholic going out for a night on the town with drinking friends but it's a part of my life that i want to modify but not give up. I want to get a lot more sobriety time under my belt before i attempt something like this but i wanted to get the opinions of some of my SR friends in the early stages of my planning. Is this too risky or would i be bringing a real problem and possible compromise to light? I even heard today of another convention going friend of mine who realized that he has a drinking problem and is addressing it. I just think it would be nice to be able to go party with my con friends in a safer way. Any opinions?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I was even thinking about offering people who come to the panel a smiley face sticker or something like that that they could stick on their membership badge so that if they go to a room party (where the alcohol is served) the bartender would know not to offer alcohol and have nonalcoholic drinks avaliable. All voluntary, of course.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I think it's a great idea, but I think you're right, you probably need to wait until you get some more sober time before you try to start something like that yourself. If I remember right, you're involved in AA, no? Perhaps trying to organize some nightly AA meetings at your next convention would be a great way to test the waters.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

The only reason i don't want to run it as an AA meeting is that there's no way it will be Anonymous. Us con people are such gum flappers! Also, the spirituality aspect may turn away some people and i want it to be as generic as possible, i figure that after i get 6 months under my belt and have run a few AA meetings i'll look into organizing con meetings.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
I don't want to give up on that fun party scene
Why are you associating "fun part scene" with alcohol? At least that's what it's sounding like to me. I've had a lot of fun and I've made a lot of people laugh while being sober than being drunk and dumb.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love the idea. We're always bitching that we had to leave our old lives behind, and this is away of reconnecting with yours, but in a hugely I'm sober, who's in? way.

As well as confidence in your sobriety I imagine you'd probably want some experience in leading that kind of function - that's the bit I'd find difficult.

If this was happening in England I'd be in. Oh h*ll yeah. To know there was going to be a non-affiliated bunch of people committed to being sober there would make a big difference. No more "I want to, but I'm scared of worried about..."

I like the smiley face too. It's almost our symbol, you know? Welcome to SR We know your struggle heh heh.

Okay, I should point out that I have a temperature at the moment. But I think this is cool...

xxx
Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd go for it, when you feel capable. Heck, they have AA meetings at Burning Man and that's a festival at least partly dedicated to "expanded conscousness".

Even if only a couple people show up, you could have a great experience. One of the favorite meetings I've ever attended was at an Alkathon on Thansgiving Day. Only four people were there, for that hour, but we had a terrific meeting. I made three very good friends that day.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

They have AA at Burning Man? That's amazing.

In this country we have St John's Ambulance who are like unpaid volunteer medical staff who attend literally every event in the country over about 50 people in case of accidents. They're amazing. I love the idea of you founding a Displaced - So You Know You're Not Alone kinda foundation. A friend at every party.

Do it dude. This is really catching my imagination...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Ah, but a man's reach chould exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If there's any message boards for these conventions you could post looking to meet up with friends of Bill W.. Years ago I used to go to cigar events and met quite of few people in recovery. We'd knock back a lot of coffee while others drank their single malt scotches. I've found most events are what I make of them.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it's a great idea, although i have to admit that topic seems a little binary. A few scenarios come to mind - everybody who goes is recovered; then isn't everybody going to kumbaya "not drinking". You have a split of folks, well half will say drinking bad, other half will say drinking good. You get a bunch of drinkers, chugging while singing its virtues. Maybe go all out and host a meeting AA style; or flip it on its head, and throw a panel and/or party about "anything but drink"?