Notices

14 days sober, tips for anybody new

Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb 14 days sober, tips for anybody new

Hello,
I will spare you my story ( although you can read previous posts ) . I had a really hard time finding ( and accepting ) help in the beginning. The fact that you are here and reading this is GREAT ! What I will mainly talk about is some tips that have helped me so far. Everybody is different so don't get discouraged if it doesn't work for you.
The first couple days I was really anxious, and all I could think about was beer. I thought maybe I was just making a big deal about it and that's why I got so upset.
Tip 1. STAY BUSY I had to do anything , the more constructive the better although if you have to play video games or something like that .... cool .
Tip 2. Control your environment, If your friends drink / use . Stay away ! This may be the hardest part. I know they are fun to be around but remember why you wanted to stop in the first place.
Tip 3. Drink water , and I mean POUND IT! Everytime you feel the urge to drink / use pound as much water as you can till you almost feel sick, that helped me quite a bit.
Tip 4. Reward yourself ! Create something wonderful you will do for yourself after one week , 2 weeks, 30 days , 1 DAY ! YOU DESERVE IT!!
Tip 5. Get help , you are already doing it. I tried AA and it wasn't for me very discouraging ( you cant do it without help , you are powerless ) it felt really discouraging for me. The key words are " for me " its great for alot of folks. I found this website : just google " bullets for my best " it will be the first link that appears . That did it for me . I'm a man and I like to feel empowered and in control. It was a little overwhelming to hear " not again ever never again not once " and perhaps I reworded it to " not for the next 60 days and then see how you feel " . But im 2 weeks sober and that's something . Please click bullets for my beast especially if you are a guy it's great.

Goodluck , I have alot to learn and a long ways to go. If I can help please PM me and I would love to talk. Hang in there.

Last edited by Dee74; 04-22-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: removed commericial link
Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scott231 View Post

I'm a man and I like to feel empowered and in control.
So do I...But alcohol kicked my ass....I'm powerless over it. I had to surrender to win. Best of luck to you....Do what you have to do to stop...Congrats on two weeks!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congrats on 14 days. Stick with it, life just gets better.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
So it goes

Plans are good, well done!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

There are days I still have to break-out my one gallon tea jug, brew it up and DRINK.
It really does help with the compulsion, also reminds me of just how often I used to urinate while downing beers.
There are a good deal of sober RR\AVRT folks here, I've used a mix of methods\plans, best wishes.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
So it goes

Scolova
Still love drinking tea, it has been my friend during detox. I have found that tea goes well with so much food (with Indian and Chinese it should be drunk rather than wine or beer)
but there is such a great karma in tea, it makes me feel at peace with the world (and I can safely drive after 2 or 3 cups, even if I do have to stop off at motorway services to have a pee!)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chocolate helps too.

When your body is craving a drink early in recovery it is actually carving the sugar in alcohol.

Chocolate helps. And tastes good.

Zube