Notices

Last night, tonight.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Last night, tonight.

Hi all, I hve spent the last 4 days reading threads posted on SR and it has inspired me to face up to my demons and and quit my alcohell. Tonight is my last night on the source having not had many sober nights since leaving the military 6 years ago. If Im truthfull, I am dreading it. I wonder how I will get to sleep tomorrow night, how I will fill the void of drinking and fearfull my life could crumble! In every other sense of the word im strong. Im strong at work, im strong on the football field but what people who know me dont know is I drink toooooooooo much every night, regret it in the morning but at 7pm every night the process starts again. I pray I am strong enough to leave this cycle behind me.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello HOOKS:
I found sobriety in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. Good luck with your chosen program.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hooks - welcome to the family! Yes you are strong enough. Keep reading and posting - you'll find a lot of encouragement and hope from people who've gone through the same thing. It's scary to leave behind an old habit - but it sounds like it's no longer doing anything but making you miserable.

You can have a new life, Hooks - we're here to help. Be proud of your decision.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Hooks Really, there's nothing to dread...you may have your ups and downs in recovery but it will all be better than the hell you are leaving behind x
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hooks

I know it's daunting...there's a lot of what ifs - but there's a lot of support here too. You're not alone.

I believe everyone can do this - everyone has hope

Good to have you with us
D
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Have you spoken to a doctor for advice?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just keep on trying if you have a set back start again !
Focus and plan things for those difficult times.
Come here often support is the key the difficulties are overcome , it's not always easy but far from impossible.
John.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same here Hooks, I was dreading the following day wkithout Alchohol, (Alchohell, I like that word). It was'nt too bad. I have had a few slip-ups along the way, but slowly I am getting there. I am at Day 5 today, and feel the worst is behind me. I am feeling calmer and in a good place. It's nice to drive into work without a hangover and to look people in their faces without diverting my own becouse I'm hungover and look terrible!
Long may it last!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

to SR hooks.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HOOKS View Post
If Im truthfull, I am dreading it. I wonder how I will get to sleep tomorrow night, how I will fill the void of drinking and fearfull my life could crumble!
Welcome Hooks....I know exactly what it's like to have your life crumble....And it didn't come from when I stopped drinking. Talk to your doctor about detoxing safely...Be honest with him..Talk to him about your sleep concerns....Find a recovery program that you think might work for you....And work it. It takes some effort....But it can be done. I did it.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family. I too wondered what I'd do if I couldn't drink. It turns out I can do anything I used to do, and do it better sober too.

It can be rough at first but it's worth the effort to stay sober. I wake up happy and go to sleep grateful. I'm finally enjoying my life.

You can too.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi Hooks! Welcome and I applaud your decision to quit. If you think you are strong on the football field now, just wait until all that booze is out of your system and you realize your full potential. You will surely be a force to be reckoned with! Hang in...you can do this.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah you might not sleep too well for a couple of nights but you'll feel so much better without relying on alcohol. Your life won't crumble without it, it will only get better!

Good luck to you!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alright mucka! sounds like we may have a similar story, ex army myself, left in 07 as a recce sgt after 10 years and went completely off the rails trying to resettle back into civvi st, sadly this happens to many of us when we leave, for a few reasons..(ptsd etc) and its only getting worse, did you know that on any given night there are over 1000 ex soldiers living rough/drinking n drugging on the streets of london alone? sad eh...n god knows how many more there are in other towns/cities throughout the UK!
anyway, i know your probably feeling pretty chin strapped now, we've all been there mate, dig deep n griz out that first week, ya might not get much sleep but it does pass, plus i'm sure you, like me.. will be no stranger to sleep deprivation, its a similar lack of wob as being in the field for a week on a battle ex...soldier on n get it done, it'll soon pass i promise ya, a bit of dry squaddy humour always helps too
pm'd you my number, gimme a shout anytime mate, ifya struggling or even if ya just need a chat with someone who speaks the same lingo/similar background etc, i'll help ya as much as i can n let you know what i did to overcome alcoholism and the core issues of resettling back into civvi st, i had alot of help from the British legion/SSAFA and AA so ya might wanna look into those too at some point, but for the time being just griz out that first week, you can do it pal, i'll be thinking of ya, let us know how your getting on
out to you..
Johnny