Notices

Pls help & advise

Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pls help & advise

Hey everyone,

Took a while for me to actually join this site but it looks like u guys give good advice!! So basically, i experienced my husband having an alcohol withdrawal seizure 2 years ago. I ended up with PTSD after witnessing it and was on valium and xanax. Off all meds now but i started drinking every night to try to control the anxiety. My husband left me just under a year ago and is now living with another girl. I am alone with 1 child who i love very much. I am now drinking every single day without fail. It started with a few glass of wine every night and has now progressed to me drinking all day every day. I want to stop by tapering but im not sure if its safe or not because im living alone with a child...Is there anyone i could talk to please? I want so badly to stop because i know its making my anxiety worse and i really dont want to end up an alcoholic like my ex husband.

Many thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Wotta:
Have you called your local AA number? Is your doctor aware of your situation?

Bob R
Old 04-22-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wotta,
Others will be along soon. You may be an alcoholic yourself.
That's ok. We do recover. You are probably winding yourself up more about withdrawals as you have witnessed one.
You need to stop ASAP. Go to your doctor and tell them what's going on.
Do you have family/friends that can support you a little now? Call them. You would be surprised, they may be relieved to hear you say you need help.
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a group that support and help people to quit drinking and stay quit, that is very widespread. If you call their number locally, they will talk with you and might be able to bring you to some meetings.
Welcome to Sober recovery.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Wotta - It's great to have you here. I'm sorry for your situation, but glad you are taking action.

I started out with just a drink or two to calm my nerves - and ended up drinking 24/7 just like you are. I had no control once the first drink went down - so I had no choice but to stop all together. All my attempts at being a social drinker failed. After joining SR I found the courage to change - reading the stories here gave me hope. I wasn't alone any more.

Checking with a doctor if possible is the safest way to de-tox - and you already know that first hand. Please let us know how you're doing - we care about you and want to help you through this.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome WottaDowner

I agree with the others - the safest and most responsible way to detox is to see a Dr - preferably someone who knows about addiction.

Tapering simply prolonged the agony for me - if I could control how much I drank I wouldn't have had the need to taper.

Suffice to say it simply didn't work for me the many many times I tried it.

I'd see a Dr and be safe

D
Old 04-22-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi , you've got such a lot to live and be sober for. Asking for help from your Dr has got to be a good way to start. All the best.
John.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WottaDowner View Post
It started with a few glass of wine every night and has now progressed to me drinking all day every day.
Welcome WottaDowner...Good name...Sounds like a major part of my life. Don't get caught up right now with whether you are an alcoholic or not...Your reason above is enough to stop for good. First thing is to detox safely....As already said...Consult your doctor...Be truthful about what you are drinking and come up with a plan to proceed with that. The anxiety you'll have just from witnessing what you did would be enough to avoid trying this alone. Once you are safely cleaned up it might be a good idea to look into a recovery program...There are ways out of this...And you can do it. I'm glad you found this site....Stay close and know you aren't alone....I'm glad you are here.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies. I am mentally addicted to alcohol but if is top for the day i dont get any physical withdrawl at all - only mental. The anxiety is killing me and i am so busy at the moment that it is getting in theway.

I havent told my doctor because i dont want it on my records. No one knows that i drink so much. I know that I would be able to stop if i tapered because i only drink to avoid what i percive to be a withdrawl seizure occurring. My husband told me that he had no physical withdrawl at all and then 3 days later he had the seizure - is this possible?

I know ill be able to stop if i am reassured that i wont have a seizure. I have only been drinking during the day for about 3 weeks so im hoping its ok to just cut down and stop.

I dont enjoy drinking alcohol and I need to stop but basically all i want is a bit of reassurance. I am petrified that something is going to happen to me and this is what is stopping me from quitting.

I cant visit the doctor - its not an option at the moment.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My husband told me that he had no physical withdrawl at all and then 3 days later he had the seizure - is this possible?

I guess the answer to your question is....Yes. As far as your reason for not seeing a doctor goes...Sounds more like fear is what is stopping you.....And I think it's the best option you have. Good luck to you...However you do it.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but noone here can reassure you one way or the other about seizures WD.

It would be irresponsible of us here to do that because none of us know you, your circumstances or your clinical history, and none of us are Drs.

I had a bad last unassisted detox - I wish I'd seen a Dr.
Nothings as important as your health, IMO.

D
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am mentally addicted to alcohol but if is top for the day i dont get any physical withdrawl at all - only mental. The anxiety is killing me and i am so busy at the moment that it is getting in theway.

I havent told my doctor because i dont want it on my records. No one knows that i drink so much. I know that I would be able to stop if i tapered because i only drink to avoid what i percive to be a withdrawl seizure occurring. My husband told me that he had no physical withdrawl at all and then 3 days later he had the seizure - is this possible?

I know ill be able to stop if i am reassured that i wont have a seizure. I have only been drinking during the day for about 3 weeks so im hoping its ok to just cut down and stop.

I dont enjoy drinking alcohol and I need to stop but basically all i want is a bit of reassurance. I am petrified that something is going to happen to me and this is what is stopping me from quitting.

Are you attending AA meetings?
It sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place ... AA seems like the likely solution to your current dilemma.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome WD, sorry to hear you're in a tough place right now and I'm glad you're here. My two cents is to see a Dr. The safety and well-being of your child is too important to try going this alone. For me, AA has provided invaluable support, there are so many others just like us who are getting better every day and just jumping at the chance to help the newcomer. Best wishes to you!!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hey girly.... 12 step fellowships is the way to go!!! Keep going going and going and don't leave until the miracle happens!! Neat on!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I joined a while ago and never posted. I am in a similar situation as wottadowner. Fortunately I did not witness my ex-husband having a seizure.

I went to my doctor when I had insurance (since unemployed and none) and she told me to quit drinking, but not all at once. That was it. I was truthful with her about the amount of drinking I was doing (all day/night) and she did do a blood test which showed that my liver enzymes were elevated...fatty liver. So then thats when she told me to quit (not all at once) and come back and get another blood test, couldn't afford to go back with no insurance.

What else can a doctor do to help in quitting? I could possibly scrape up some money to go to a low-income clinic, but I don't want to waste my money as I really only have enough to keep a roof over my head and the lights on..if I'm just going to hear the same thing. What are the medical treatments they can provide? I also have a social phobia and am to afraid to go to an AA meeting, situations where I don't know anyone like that give me panic attacks.

Thank you. I hope I posted this correctly.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Another question :)

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has replied, i really appreciate it. Cutepooka, im really sorry to hear about your situation - its hard.

I basically just wanted to ask another question - i am mentally addicted to alcohol - drinking during the day is a very recent thing for me. I want to as how can i stop the drinking during the day....For example, if i usually have a drink at 11am but i persist and dont have a drink until 7pm everyday, is this dangerous?

It is almost like i do not want to drink but my mind tells me that something bad will happen to me if i dont.

I feel i can successfully taper off the alcohol if it was limited to the evenings so I am looking for suggestions and advice about instantly cutting out the drinking during the day.

Thank you
Old 04-25-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'd recommend cutting it out completely. You said...

I havent told my doctor because i dont want it on my records.

This is plain nuts...Forget about your records...They won't be published anywhere. This is your life you are talking about. I think when you get to the point where you are trying to figure out how you can eliminate your daytime drinking...It's time to hang it up.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi WD

I think, if you're worried about withdrawals, the best thing to do is to see a Dr.
None of us here know how much you drink or what your general health is or your clinical history.

Noone here can guarantee you what might happen one way or the other.

Tapering is really the tortuous way to go tho - it's often an exercise in futility, and yes it can be dangerous for some of us.

Why not go for it completely WD - why not take the bit between your teeth, see your Dr and make a plan to cut out the booze entirely now?

D