Notices

Am I settling myself up for a fall?

Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I settling myself up for a fall?

So I'm 5 weeks sober tomorrow. Things have been going great. I've started a new job and I've started running again. I'm losing weight, sleeping well and generally feeling pretty good. I haven't thought about drinking in the last couple off weeks.
I guess I'm thinking that things seem too easy at the moment. I've been down this road several times already and last time I thought I'd be able to drink again. Yeah right! and of course the problems started again.
I guess I'm thinking that I'll end up lapsing because I'm becoming too flippant about my drink problem.
How do I arm myself against thinking in a few months time it will be ok to drink again? I've read so many other threads where people are really struggling and I really don't want to come across cocky because things are going well. I know too well that it may not be so great in a week's time.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

But this time you are aware of complacency. You weren't last time. Things are going well, you are getting fitter and stronger every day. Be proud of that and don't go looking for problems that haven't arisen yet because you never know, they may never happen!!
If you do feel that urge to drink again then you can draw on your own experience of how it ended before.
Think that first drink through to the end and the disappointment and regret you will inevitably feel.
In the meantime, celebrate how well you're doing. Be proud. You deserve it x
Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Alfie...For me...I had to commit myself to a recovery program and work it. Just like I committed myself to a life of drinking. Working the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous gave me the tools I need to deal with unexpected things that life throws at me...The fellowship of AA gives me the support that I need to remind myself I am never alone in this. I never had any luck doing this alone. Now I'm living without alcohol. It's a free gift...And I accepted it. Be careful you don't get complacent with your sobriety...I see more people get into trouble when things are going well...Be vigilant.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why risk feeling so good.
John.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Becoming/being complacent was my biggest and hardest lesson that I learned the most from.

It would be my downfall, hands down. My sobriety has been too hard won.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found reading here, especially my own old posts, always reminded that I would never be ok to drink again, Alfie.

Remember why you feel so good and why life is fantastic right now - you removed a toxic element

D