Notices

two days in...

Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

two days in...

So I have two days sober...and tonight on my way home I bought a bottle of vodka...it almost speaks to me, giving me reasons to drink. I try and remember all the reasons I need to stop, but I can't seem to be able to control the rationalizing...well just this one time more, or I should slow down first, or I will stop Monday. I try and distract myself, but I am so used to drinking until I pass out, that now I am up all night and can't seem to find anything to keep myself occupied. I don't think I am strong enough to resist it...just wanted to tell someone.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Shaken

It is great that you are posting here and I really hope you get through this moment. I have been in that place so many times and I can only tell you what has worked for me. For me my strength came from the first and second step of AA; to admit that we are powerless over alcohol and came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. Until I took that step, realizing that I don't have to do this on my own, that I can hand this disease over to God as I understand him/her/it, no matter what I tired it did not work out. For me it has been 91 days since my last drink and like you I do not have the strength to resist, I have no control, but my Power does and trusting in that has got me this far. I hope you find your solution and stay on this site, it has meant the world of difference to me to learn from the people here and get support from others going through the same.

Take care of yourself and keep posting, L
Old 04-22-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Limbo...I couldn't do this alone. I was hopeless and helpless....Being around people like me and working the 12 steps of AA saved and changed my life....Do some reading...I recommend the The Doctors Opinion and the first 103 pages of the Big Book...See if you see yourself in there...I know I did.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous

Enjoy it....And welcome to SR. You can stop by here any time...Congrats on day two...Don't drink for today.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Mate,
Phone AA, talk to someone. It will pass but you have to take some action if you can. Read what Sapling suggested.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shaken

I was like that for a lot of years...support really helped to turn that around for me...you'll find a lot of that here and a few ideas too.

There's face to face support too - there's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

Whatever way you go, it takes a lot of effort...I had to make a lot of changes, but I got my life back - isn't it worth a shot?

D