Notices

noticing booze a lot lately

Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

noticing booze a lot lately

Seems like the last few days i've really been noticing alcohol. Maybe it's just been the last couple of days that i've been back in Alabama. I haven't been here while i full blown sobriety so what i seem to really be noticing are the old sneaks and standbys that i had while faking sobriety the last couple of times i was here. I'm not tempted to drink but my eyes are constantly drawn to the small boxed wine, the six pack, the package store...i'm out of my comfort zone of home in Milwaukee (ironic, no?). I think i'll be stronger when i leave here but it's caught me a little off guard and has made me a little testy. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's common for most of us - just remember you're a non drinker now

D
Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a test Grits.....Just don't drink and you'll pass it. Try and catch a meeting there....Could be interesting.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Heh...i feel like a character in a cartoon...like the bottles are a fresh, steaming pie sitting on a window sill and the steam is wafting into my nose like fingers beckoning me towards it and i levitate off the ground over to it. Fortunatly, i only get to the point where the steam hits my nose then i wave it off and walk away. It's damn tempting but not for me.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm going to a meeting Monday at the latest, Sapling. I tried to catch one Friday but the website failed to mention that the meeting i was headed to was only on the LAST Friday of the month.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you're doing great. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't pick up. It's that simple.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Now imagine they are a big steaming pile of.........poop!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Heh...it's a simple thing that's the hardest thing i've ever done, lol! I'm cool. Not gonna drink and gonna work on straping my blinders back on. I've had a change in latatude, not a change in attitude.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I said it was simple....I didn't say it was easy....Are you having fun Grits?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Having a great time. Spending the night at my MIL's beach house, ate seafood (oysters, crab claws, gumbo, shrimp) for lunch and dinner, bought 3 pairs of shoes a dress and a shirt...i'm being spoiled rotten. Who the hell needs booze? Lol!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think you are experiencing something people refer to as “triggers”. This simply refers to associations between addictive behavior (acquiring and using an addictive substance) and a situation or emotion. Back in badger territory you have broken a lot of the associations to the habit of drinking. Now, returning to Dixie, all those old associations are everywhere. There are so many that they can be overwhelming. My experience is that this tends to quiet down progressively as I spend more time in old haunts. The first 24 hours seem to be the worst…. for me at least. Beware though, they can be very powerful and sneak up on you without any warning. Extra meetings are in order. Take care.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

It wasn't you that was noticing the alcohol, it was your mind playing that nasty trick on you. There is a part of you that sees alcohol as essential to survival, and these thoughts are the result of that part getting a more than a little panicky here.
But so what, right? You don't drink.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Having a great time. Spending the night at my MIL's beach house, ate seafood (oysters, crab claws, gumbo, shrimp) for lunch and dinner, bought 3 pairs of shoes a dress and a shirt...i'm being spoiled rotten. Who the hell needs booze? Lol!
Sounds pretty good to me. And you'll even be able to remember it....What a fricken bonus!....You're making me hungry Grits.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I need an extra stomach for all this good food, Sapling.