Notices

worried...

Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

worried...

i had my first drink in a while last week and last night and today the right hand side under my rib cage feels tender; i've got rid of what's left of the bottle of wine i'd started and i've bought some milk thistle extract from the chemist [active ingredient per tablet 120mg silymarin] as i heard it might help boost liver function im not sure..?
my last LFT's came back normal a couple of months ago but i read somewhere you can have normal LFT'S even when the liver is failing, is this true?
im really frightened
im going to see doc next week for something else but i may bring it forward as im so worried
im not yellow, nor do i have any late signs but i was nauseous last night immediately after drinking and i felt uncomfortable v soon after drinking in that right hand region so i stopped immediately and kept on soft drinks
i had 1/2 to maybe 3/4 of the bottle of wine [70cl]
i only have myself to blame
hopefully my gp can put my mind at rest
feedback appreciated even if its to tell me what i already know! or suspect..
Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

when i press on that area it is still tender and its now just after seven in the evening here in uk, it was uncomfortable this morning, at times when i breathed in i could feel something andi thought [and indeed hoped!]it might be wind
could my liver be inflamed? i havent had a drink since christmas and then last weekend i had a bottle of white wine and then last night 1/2 to maybe 3/4 of a bottle of white wine, and then i became uncomfortable and i wasnt enjoying it so i stopped
Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take milk thistle and I've been taking it for years but if you keep drinking alcohol it doesn't matter how much you take. I only stopped drinking a few months ago and I'll keep taking milk thistle for life.

Good for you for seeing your doctor and see what they say about the herb? A lot of questions you have only your doctor can answer and I hope he answers them fully for you.

My LFT's were always slightly elevated and I was advised to cut down drinking but I knew in myself I had to stop altogether. I couldn't control my drinking and you with a liver that feels tender is not good is it? You might have to stop altogether too.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been experiencing the same thing for the last year or so. I went to the doctor last year and he gave me a basic examination...basically pressing on the area and then and X ray - he didn't see anything of concern. He didn't think anything was seriously wrong but at that time I didn't tell him about my drinking. A couple of months later I went to him for the specific purpose of quitting drinking and I told him how much I drank and when and he suggested that my drinking could definitley have caused the discomfort. I would STRONGLY suggest that you bring up your drinking to your Dr. - Your Dr. will most likely refer you to some good resources and possibly prescribe you something if he or she feels you really want to quit.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by defttank View Post
I've been experiencing the same thing for the last year or so. I went to the doctor last year and he gave me a basic examination...basically pressing on the area and then and X ray - he didn't see anything of concern. He didn't think anything was seriously wrong but at that time I didn't tell him about my drinking. A couple of months later I went to him for the specific purpose of quitting drinking and I told him how much I drank and when and he suggested that my drinking could definitley have caused the discomfort. I would STRONGLY suggest that you bring up your drinking to your Dr. - Your Dr. will most likely refer you to some good resources and possibly prescribe you something if he or she feels you really want to quit.
my LFT's were normal the last time they were tested, surely they would have been abnormal??
or can you have normal LFT's AND a failing liver?
i'll ring the surgery on monday and bring the appt forward

thanks again
Old 04-21-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

there's a 1% difference in an okay liver and a not okay liver, but only your doctor can tell you precisely what is going on.

Please see a doctor. Medical advise is not allowed on this site!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah do see a Dr, Katz...chances are you're fine but it's best to be sure and set your mind at ease.

Only a Dr can really tell you whats going on.

Stuff like Milk Thistle can be harmful in some cases where there is existing damage so see your Doc first to make sure

D
Old 04-21-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Seeing a doctor is the only way to bring yourself peace of mind. Take this as a hard lesson learned and remember this scary experience next time you think about picking up the drink.