Notices

Dogs for sobriety!!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dogs for sobriety!!

Ok, I know this may sound weird to some of you, but anyone else here get comfort from the company of their dogs as they try to conquer the demons of addiction? I have three dogs and yesterday when out walking I had this moment of clarity, they run and play and enjoy themselves without any artificial stimulants. They are honest, happy, loving and live in the moment. They run away from danger, or else fight against it as nature intends. Then I thought about my own self-destructive drinking, associated anxiety, panic, sneakiness, selfishness and self-loathing. What a mess. I love these animals for teaching me something about how I should be living!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a beautiful post and very true!! I know i love my animals...and right now as i type my 70 pound labmix who thinks hes a lap dog is lying on the couch curled up to me!!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amen to that...I heard this line once. I always wanted to be the person my dog thinks I am. Lot of truth to that. I think if you could live in the moment like your dogs...You wouldn't have any problems.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel really sad when I think how my dog used to put up with me drinking every night, and the drunken walks! I love him to bits always, and as he's been with me getting sober, and still a great comfort to me now, I am always grateful to him. Thanks for putting some attention on the four legged ones
Old 04-21-2012, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ha Ha - and my 82 lb black lab mix is the reason I"m up at 4:30AM - he's been on top of the blanket and keeps taking more as I toss and turn. And, he snores....

Dogs know how to do it - like you said below, fight or flight; but not a perpetual state of fear and anger. My dog actually DOES turn the other cheek when his overzealous playful pup cousin starts chomping on his ankles or nipping at his face to play, but when enough is enough, he lets out one big growl as warning and the other pup walks away. He then snaps back to being the content dog he is.

He loves outside; he loves people, he's always up for a good road trip....

Dogs are too cool....and this dog is one of the most stable dogs I have ever owned. Funny, he didn't know me when I was drinking....could there be a correlation? I know the others I had before him were kind of whacky, but I was constantly drinking, so I think they were getting inconsistent messages from me, and I felt like I always had a battle going with them - jumping, scratching, barking, aggressive behavior to other dogs, (I was always fearful of other dogs, so I never socialized my own, but with this dog I did)...

I learned a lot from my dogs, and they from me.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile Dog therapy works for me!

I have two dogs who are my whole world. They've never known me drinking and I'm going to keep it that way. I too am trying to be the person my dogs think I am. My constant reward for staying sober is looking at their happy healthy shiny selves and knowing that I am responsible for their happiness and good health! What a reward!

Let's hear it for the dogs!!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Dogs are often seen visiting homes for the elderly, hospitals, and other places. We have a large dog, Benji, who visits the school that I am subbing in. The students who happen to have Autism read to him and are encouraged to use their language to interact. It's amazing to watch! Children who are usually quiet open up incredibly, their reading skills improve, and they have a more positive attitude.

I am owned by a "DeeOhGee," never say the word "cat" near her! She's 5 pounds, meows loudly at the wrong times, but she is my little Spirit Angel who saved me when I was deeply depressed when my man passed. I was still drinking then, but just having to be alert enough to take care of her helped me. She likes me a whole lot more sober!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a 90-pound chocolate lab who has been with me throughout my whole journey. Full of love and patience. I remember when I was still drinking I would look at him and he would just be staring at me like he was saying "ok, you done yet?" I know he didn't like it when I drank and now that I'm sober he is getting A LOT more exercise.
He alone has helped me through this just as much if not more than anything else has. I love my dog!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am thinking about getting a dog. I am finally responsible enough, again, to put it's needs before the bottle. Not sure how snotty house cat is going to feel about that - she has ruled the roost for 6 years now (^-^) Animals are amazing - just like sobriety!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Great post. Dogs are such a comfort. All the nights I would hole up in my room stoned or drugged or whatever my Bailey was always on the floor next to my bed. Quitely letting me know she is always here for me.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know my dogs have saved my life. I have 6 senior rescues. I still know one reason I am alive is that I'm the only one who would take care of these dogs with their age and illnesses (some). One of my favorite quotes regarding pet adoption is "who saved who?". Love my pups so much
Old 04-21-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

My Siamese saved my sanity and my life when I was drinking. She was the only one in the world who didn't give up on me.

I now have two Siamese cats - a Chocolate and a Lavender and they mean so much to me.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a 12 lb 'chorky' half chihuahua half yorkie who absolutely adores me. If I get up 5 times in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, there she is right behind me all five times and waits patiently next to the potty til I'm done.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA member

I have a rescue dog,German Shepherd/Labrador cross.He has been with me 2 years and never seen me drinking.My previous dog was also a rescue and was at my side through the darkest days of my drinking,she did have nearly 7years with me when I was sober.

A reminder to me of the ripple effect my Alcoholism had on everything in my life.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My staffie Troy keeps me sane when all else around me is going mad.....
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My dogs are everything to me. As a matter of fact, as I have mentioned on this forum before, I lost the love of my life (one of my dogs) on July 17, 2011. I would have given my life for her. I was devastated....she was very old and I knew it was coming, but I was shattered. I drank heavier than usual until August 10, 2011, when I had an epiphany. To honor her, I would quit drinking. And I haven't had a drink since. SR has helped me more than I can express, but in my weakest moments I would look at a picture of my dog and would remember my promise in her honor. That dog saved my life....I was always a great dog owner, but I am sorry that in her last four years I was drunk. (I am crying now...I feel so guilty for not giving her 100% at the end....I tried, but I know I was impaired and that is something I will never get over, and I don't even want to get over it.) You guys are the first time I have admitted that to anyone....I am so ashamed. At my worse in addiction, I would have killed myself but I didn't want to leave her and my other animals alone.

Fast forward to now - eight months sober, and she would be wagging her tail at all of the additional walks that I now give to my other dogs, which I also love very much. I still isolate, not as much as I used to, and those dogs are my reason for rushing home from work, and often for staying home instead of doing something that I can't include them in. They sleep with me, and are always by my side. I love them so, so much and their unconditional love, loyalty, happiness and living in the moment have done more for my mental health than anything else could have ever done (except for quitting drinking....that's a no brainer.) Yep, love my dogs. And the neat thing is that after eight months sobriety I am just now starting to feel real happiness and excitement...I just noticed that yesterday. Wow....I think I am going to be ok after all. Thank you to you all that stuck with me when I was whining (not that I won't again!) and for being there when only my four legged friends were. Love to all of you. Elizabeth
Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alfie my 2 yr old Springer helped me today :0)

We braved our first run today, in the rain and hale it felt amazing just the two of us running together.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for such great stories! I love my dogs too, they've seen me do some pretty weird things but always seem to love me. They make me laugh, cheer me up and motivated me to get out of the house some of the days when I felt so low and ashamed. Couldn't be without a dog in my life!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LDT

My border collie was so patient and understanding while I was drinking. She just knew.The day after I got out of detox I had to put her down.

Detox was easier.

I have a new puppy now....an 8lb. Toller pup that is reminding me why I love dogs so much. The really great thing is THIS dog gets a sober owner.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I love my two staffys to bits, and have got them special sbt collars this week, instead of buying beer