Notices

Really want some wine...

Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really want some wine...

Hey everyone,

So I'm in the evening of Day 4 and for the first time I'm desperate for some wine. Pathetic eh? I knew it wouldn't be easy, Day 1 I was so hungover it was easy. Days 2 and 3 I was pleased with myself and keeping busy. Today started very well but this afternoon I was starting to have those 'you've done so well, why not celebrate?' thoughts. I called to a relative who offered me wine, I said no, called to my father who offered me beer, I said no. But mentally I was thinking about stopping in the off-licence on my way home...I didn't but I know the times between 4-8 are highly dangerous for me. If I can get to 9pm I'm generally safe. But I'm disappointed that my mind is already trying to sabotage me. AAGGGHHHH!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

*** 'you've done so well, why not celebrate?' thoughts ***

I can absolutely relate to this. Its very hard to dismiss those thoughts, but those are the ones that cause me to relapse. Can you try to keep yourself busy from 4-8? Go for a walk, drive, find a hobby? Anything that will keep your mind busy. This helps me a lot. Sitting around being bored is another reason I relapse. An idle mind is dangerous to an addict.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know where you're coming from,

Just don't drink then you will be ok.

Go into your kitchen, pour yourself a glass of milk and drink it. Its a strange thing for me to say I know, but once you've tasted the milk the last thing you will want to follow it is wine. It works for me. So far anyway.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

another thing that usually helps me... Usually If I have something to eat or a snack, my desire for drinking decreases. This is probably because I know I will have to drink a lot more to get buzzed and that seems like too much work, lol. I guess I'm just a lazy drunk.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bruno, lmao about the milk idea! I'm gonna have a hot chocolate after dinner (don't even like chocolate much either but just focusing on some reward). Stuffing my face with crackers as I type...
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hot Chocolate sounds yummy!

Those hours were hard for me too. I found that spending less time on dinner and more time going outside for long walks after dinner, really helped me get through the early days.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Your mind between 4 and 8 on day 4 or 5 or 6 is not your mind. It's your mind in detox. mode. Sugar tends to help the cravings a bit. Also search this site or google for "urge surfing". I recommend a long term plan/program/method to prevent you having to go through this again. Best wishes
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Find a good meeting between 4 and 8....What better way to take your mind off drinking than being around recovered alcoholics.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Made it through to the magic 9pm without guzzling a bottle of wine. Trying to take the insane urge to let rip as a warning sign to keep on my toes. Definitely have to have a better strategy for the danger times (early-late evening). Thanks all!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The problem that I had was that 1 bottle of wine wouldn't be any use to me.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well 1 bottle was what I was 'sensibly' contemplating buying this evening. But if there was another 1 in the house I'd polish that off too. It's staggering really how the addictive mind works, manipulating thoughts so that they seem reasonable when all it wants to do is get wasted.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey newatthis, I'm only on day 1 & I'm already thinking about a drink too. I'm happy you stayed strong it gives me hope to stay strong too! Good luck with your goals! I'm right there with you!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Green Tea is my new thing..get it down ya! Filled with antioxidents and cancer preventing things...

....feel's nice to give your body a proper treat than poisoning it!

And once you do that for 3 weeks it is officially a habit! I read that somewhere...
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Zep, I guess I was lucky I was so ill on Day 1 that wasn't a problem for me. It's when I start to feel good again that I seem to forget how sh*t it was...So I just read an article about the DT's to remember 'the fear' and remind myself what I'm doing. Hope you stay going too!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Try writing a hand written journal and figure out what you are trying to numb away....

You can get through this!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I sing this song to myself when I have a craving

Rolling Stones - You can't always get what you want - YouTube
Old 04-19-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just wanted to mention I would avoid some of the sugar and caffeine suggestions above (chocolate milk and tea). Those both boost you up, and upon the crash you'll be wanting that wine even more than you do now. Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Newatthis34

The urge will disappear if you let it go. Its hard to deal with these feelings in early stage, but it gets better!!! Another week and you will be surprised how amazing that is!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree with the green tea, it always helps me. And have dinner early and go for a walk.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I found that after about two weeks it get's a lot easier, then after a number of months, i get too confident and relapse. I like that saying "there's no problem alcohol can't make worse" even better yet, "there's nothing alcohol can't make worse. The happiness of waking up sober far out weighs the percieved happiness while drinking.