Notices

My First Day

Old 04-18-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Day

Actually, it may not be my first "full" day because I may have drank after midnight. I need help but the thought of going to an AA meeting sounds terrifying. My fear is that I'll see someone I know and I truly do want to be "anonymous". I've even thought of finding one out of town where no one knows me.....shallow, I know. I just want to stop once and for all. Life is passing me by while I hide out by myself drinking alone. I know nothing about recovery. How long does it take to get through the detox process? I recently stopped drinking for 9 days and had no physical problems, but after day 9, something triggered it...I can't remember what it was...but off I went to the liquor store and started again with 2 bottles of wine a night a few nights a week.

Is there something I can get at a health food store that can help me get the alcohol out of my system so I can at least start off with a clean slate? Is that a stupid question?

I appreciate any replies. I'm so alone in this right now and I'm ruining my own life.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

someone will be along to help answer your questions. and NO you are not alone in this anymore.

welcome to SR. there is a lot of good information here to help you and lots to read.

i liked your first post and it's very true. life passes us by while we tie ourselves to the wine bottle.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. I hope you're right that someone here can help me. I've never posted anything in ANY forum, so I hope im doing the right thing. Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Everyone you will meet at an AA meeting went to their first AA meeting. They will know what you are feeling like. Just say it’s your first meeting as soon as you get a chance to. If you read some threads with titles like “My first AA meeting” you will get a rough idea of what has happened to others. When you go just one piece of advice……. keep an open mind.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Omg I'm so relieved that anyone is even bothering to read my post. I will definitely keep an open mind if I can get up the nerve to go. I'm thinking about finding one that I can go to this weekend. So nervous, and so disappointed in myself.

Thank you for listening!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there is another way of looking at this more positively

You want to stop drinking and start living. you are asking for help from people who experience the same issues, some greater than yours, perhaps some smaller than yours.

We commiserate, offer support and experiences. You have someone to "talk" to and vent to, ask questions, share.

there is someone on line here 24/7 from all over the world. that's not such a bad thing.

Not everyone is AA (i'm not), but there is a common bond in that we want to be sober and happy and most of us are in a much better state since we stop drinking.

this post is rather broad, but just a glimpse of how you have so many options to explore what works for you in getting support. and that is better than sitting home by yourself hiding inside a bottle of wine...(i used to do the same thing)
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by April18 View Post
I've even thought of finding one out of town where no one knows me......
Of course, if everyone did this, you'd be in an AA meeting with people from your own town. Seriously this is a non issue. If you do see someone you know, why do you think they are there?

Originally Posted by April18
Is there something I can get at a health food store that can help me get the alcohol out of my system so I can at least start off with a clean slate? Is that a stupid question?
If you had 9 days all of the alcohol was gone. Actually it'll all be gone in less than 48 hours most likely.

Here is tha link that was mentioned: Your First AA Meeting
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies. Fandy, I didn't realize that this isn't a 'strictly AA' site. Were you able to do it on your own or did you have a different program? Thank you again!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

April18 I applaud your courage and welcome you. You will find tons of help and encouragement here. No question is unwelcomed - lots of very knowledgeable people here. Like Fandy said, not everyone is involved in a recovery program. I started January 14th right here at SR and joined the January 2012 class. There I have a group of people I respect, admire, trust, and appreciate. I consider them my recovery family and love them to death. With their support, yet on my own, I explored attending an AA meeting. I thought I would throw up walking through the doorway on March 13th. I was scared to death. Guess what? It wasn't bad at all. Last friday I received my beautiful green 90 day chip in front of my precious home group of friends with whom I attend meetings a couple times a week. I have decided to explore the program further but not because I am being pressured to do so. It has all been my choice on my terms and on my time. I always thought AA was for the vagrant with the wine bottle wrapped in a paper bag hanging out under a park bench. Nope, AA is for me - a successful, independent woman whose life became unmanageable because of wine. I gave up my power to a poison. I am reclaiming my life and existance. If I can do this, you can too. Congratulations on making a tremendous first step - welcome aboard!!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Hi April and

I would drink lots of water and pick up calcium /magnesium from the health food store.

Alcohol severly deplets the body of calcium not good for anyone but definately not good for women.

Hope you get to go to the meeting you will not be judged even if you do know someone.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

glad you are here
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm so grateful for the information. I'll definitely start taking calcium and magnesium again. I used to take better care of myself until the drinking escalated. Nonblondechef, congratulations, and thanks for your inspiring words. I don't know what the classes are..I'll have to look into that. I might be a good start for me.

I feel so much better getting this stuff off my chest
Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In the Newcomers section look for Class of April 2012. Dee will be so happy to see you!!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

read through all the sections of the forum..

try Secular section for other programs besides AA
(there is Smart, AVRT group who is quite active here too) you'll find a wealth of information in all the sections including the AA section.

and one of the most important things to me is being grateful that i'm sober, i visit gratitude every morning and evening.

one of the Mods will be along to help and give you a better outline soon i'm sure.
and congrats on your first day.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi April and welcome. My doctor found my triglyceride number was really high so that's when I decided to stop drinking. I won't lie so I'll say that I have definitely cut down my liquor consumption but still struggle with quitting totally. Anyway, I did some research and began taking betaine, milk thistle and artichoke extract so with these, and at least slowing down the boozing some, i was able to lower my number to well below an acceptable level. These 3 supplements all help strenghthen the liver.

Just wanted to add that I'm still doing my best to stop and I'm not urging anyone to merely "cut down"

I'm not perfect, like I said, but hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by Nextchapter; 04-18-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: To add...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome April18! This is such an awesome place with so much wisdom and support. You don't ever have to feel alone again! Congratulations on your decision to reclaim your life!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks...I'll look at the class today. I'm so happy I did this. Hoping that my username will be meaningful for me in the months ahead!!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello April:
I found recovery in AA. I wish you the best in your chosen recovery program.

Bob R
Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome April x
Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Thiamine is also a good supplement to take, along with a B complex. I also took Milk Thistle (for the liver). But I'll add one caveat: check with your doctor before beginning a bunch of supplements. It's a good idea to get checked out anyway to make sure you're doing okay physically.

I remember my first AA meeting - I was scared too. One thing you might try is calling the AA hotline first and seeing if you can talk to someone on the phone. You can build a "connection" with someone first that way, and then maybe they can take you to your first meeting too. At least you wouldn't be walking in alone that way. I know it can be scary, especially if you're afraid of seeing someone you know. Just remember that even if you DO see someone you know, they are there for the same reason you are.

Welcome to our SR family!