Notices

Struggling...

Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
GT, I have to give you credit for suggesting that someone learning AVRT unleash AVRT on their own posts. The thought certainly crossed my mind, but I don't know, I just didn't want to deal with it. Perhaps I'm getting complacent in my old age?

My advice to the OP at this point is to actually read the book!

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Also, question the term "alcoholic". If you know you will never drink alcohol again, what is the purpose of identifying as an "alcoholic"?
I understand RR's stance on this, and agree with it. In the USA, some people ask me if I don't drink because I am 'an alcoholic', but this would never happen in my home country. People certainly drink, and don't even flinch at giving a ten-year old wine, but I can't imagine anyone ever asking me that question back home.

It is understood that if you can't drink without bad consequences, that you should not drink. Teetotalism is also not 'bad', more a personal choice. To be honest, the question sounds utterly absurd to me, and I have to remember that I'm in America and respond accordingly, as opposed to how I might respond back home.

All that said, if your abstinence is contingent upon not identifying as 'an alcoholic', then that sentiment is, by definition, addictive voice. In my case, I don't do so for practical and cultural reasons, but not because I believe I will get drunk again if I consider myself 'an alcoholic'. That would be AV.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post

mts...how do you know i don't smell of wee?

thanks all x

Old 04-19-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi hun
Just seen your post and know exactly where you're coming from, and this is partly why i'm not telling my partner about AA until I feel stronger
I think the point is, you know when you reach your own personal rock bottom, and that's the relevant thing, not what other people think
Old 04-19-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'd tend to agree Candie. I know that I could not tell my family until I knew I would never drink again. I'm a bit hyper independent (or defensive) and don't like relying on people for help, except on here of course

Regarding the word 'alcoholic'...for me it is personal. All those years debating over one stupid word.. accepting it is a big deal for me and very freeing, as is saying it out loud to those who matter. I will be using teetotal to everyone else though... strictly on a need to know basis. I have a few teetotal muso friends who often refer to their 'drinking days' so I don't think the UK is a total loss on that front.

And I'm totally happy for people to AVRT my posts