Notices

Rollercoaster of emotions

Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rollercoaster of emotions

I am 8 days dry, and today and yesterday have felt a massive surge of emotions, ie anger, jealousy etc that I haven't felt for ages.Is this normal at the start of recovery?
I feel like everything I have kept buried for years under the alcohol is coming out, and not always in a good way
Old 04-18-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep. That's what's happening.

It does calm down, in time, but it's really uncomfortable while it's happening. A support group is very important, at this stage.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by candie View Post
I am 8 days dry, and today and yesterday have felt a massive surge of emotions, ie anger, jealousy etc that I haven't felt for ages.Is this normal at the start of recovery?
I feel like everything I have kept buried for years under the alcohol is coming out, and not always in a good way

Yup, hang on .... quitting drinking is just the start. Now you have to learn to live sober.

You can do it with the help of others, my sobriety came in AA.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes my emotions were all over the place. I had to be careful of not getting too up or too down in early sobriety. Like they say in AA "Easy does it".
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes- as said before; completely normal unfortunatley. Thats what a program of recovery is about. Being an alcoholic has more to do than just a drinking problem. There is a personality and thinking/feeling element to it that only changes when we get support. I found mine thru AA and therapy. I wish you the best.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with you on this Candie x The first few weeks I had a lot of anger, in fact I think I had to concentrate more on that than not drinking. Now I'm concentrating on not drinking. Last few weeks I would burst into tears for very little reason. Do not doubt your decision and remember, 'It's just a ride' *hugs* x
Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all
Went to AA last night, and met 3 newly sober women, who I really clicked with, and they are all feeling the same
Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I felt a lot of negative emotions at first too, the main one being *resentment*. It really was a rollercoaster for a while, but things do even out after a bit. Don't feel bad or guilty for feeling some of these things - these are feelings that probably need to come out.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rollercoaster is the right word...Hang in there...Glad you met some nice people at your meeting.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Another thing I noticed is more pleasant: Little flashes of vivid memories, from childhood or young adulthood, brightly illuminated. I believe this comes from nerves healing in the brain. At least, that is my theory...

Great that you found some new friends at AA!