Notices

30 days and not really excited

Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days and not really excited

Hey all,

Yep, today marks 30 days. And no, I'm not jumping up and down. In fact, I've been TERRIFIED of this day.

30 days ago, I thought that a might be an alcohol abuser. I thought, I'll quit for 30 days, wipe the slate clean, and start being a normal drinker again. And for those of you who supported me through those first few days....I FULLY believed that I really could wipe that slate clean. I didn't have a "real" problem. I couldn't even begin to imagine not drinking forever!

There were some days that were really, really hard, but what kept me going was was I was going to prove to the world that I could do 30 days, come he!l or high water. Nothing was going to stop me because I'm just damn stubborn that way. Drinking was just not an option, even though I had some dang strong cravings.

Today, I know I'm not a normal drinker. I have a REAL problem. And I'm probably an alcoholic. What I know for sure is that I can't drink. But then my head gets in my way and says things like: "you didn't know that 30 days ago would be your LAST drink, so you should go out, and go out with a bang". "There were some pretty awful things that happened when I drank, but the majority of the time, it was pretty low key. So, it would be okay to do it one more time".

I guess today feels like another loss, instead of a gain. It's a realization that I'm probably an alcoholic, and I really don't want to be one. It's not a happy, yay I'm sober, day!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went the 30 days at a time route at first. Didn't quite make it to 60! Thought I could control it after that long. NOPE!!!! Couldn't do it. I hated to start counting over. It was the worst feeling. The realization that you're an alcoholic was quite depressing. I'm now on day 39 after starting over and I feel great. And there is no way I will have to start counting over!!!!! I'm done drinking!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Hi skipto my lue,

If you are not exited I am excited for you. What a realization that you have a problem. Now you can get better and you are thirty days into recovery. NICE!!!

Whe did not get messed up overnight so we will not get better overnight either.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

What's great is that you went 30 days and really got a perspective on your drinking... I think there's always a sadness, even anger, as we realize we can't drink with impunity. I was like you - I "knew" I was an alcoholic, I just didn't "feel" like one.

The mental obsession takes time to fade away (at least it did for me). I didn't have any big consequences, so it wasn't like I felt "saved from some horrible fate." I just knew I didn't want it to run my life anymore or make me feel depressed/anxious. I was tired of spending mornings in bed, dreading the day.

Still I couldn't imagine never drinking again - it terrified me! Believe me, that will change, and you'll be so glad when it does. I think it's really helpful to take it one day at a time. Don't even think about tomorrow - just keep coming here and committing the day at hand. Ask yourself each morning: am I glad not to be waking up with a hangover? Find gratitude in the little things and remind yourself why you stopped in the first place.:ghug3
Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Congrats Skip! I am happy for you. I got a plan..how bout ya keep staying sober to figure the above out....drinking would just confuse ya even more, right? And it's OK to have these feelings...you're allowed. ANNNNDDDD maybe tomorrow will be your YAY!!! DAY!!! Or maybe day 66 or 34 or 33 will hit ya like a ton of pink cloud happiness Hang in there and I am so proud of u!!!!

PS My good dear friend Sunny on here did the same as you 30 day goal and guess what she liked it so much she just celebrated 100 days. She is a different girl now and is so happy with her life she will never touch booze again. She couldnt be who she is now clouded by wine/hangovers all the time!

You got this skip!! BIG HUG!!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 30 days!

Mourn the loss of your friend, Al K. Hall, then move forward! We don't need to poison ourselves any more.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, I think I was expecting to be slammed on here for some reason. Well, I guess I feel like that a LOT in life when I am struggling and I take the risk to share it with someone.

Thank you for creating a new experience for me, and rejoicing for me, even though I'm not rejoicing for myself YET. I'm sure it will come some day! Hopefully.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue View Post
Hey all,

Yep, today marks 30 days. And no, I'm not jumping up and down. In fact, I've been TERRIFIED of this day.

30 days ago, I thought that a might be an alcohol abuser. I thought, I'll quit for 30 days, wipe the slate clean, and start being a normal drinker again. And for those of you who supported me through those first few days....I FULLY believed that I really could wipe that slate clean. I didn't have a "real" problem. I couldn't even begin to imagine not drinking forever!

There were some days that were really, really hard, but what kept me going was was I was going to prove to the world that I could do 30 days, come he!l or high water. Nothing was going to stop me because I'm just damn stubborn that way. Drinking was just not an option, even though I had some dang strong cravings.

Today, I know I'm not a normal drinker. I have a REAL problem. And I'm probably an alcoholic. What I know for sure is that I can't drink. But then my head gets in my way and says things like: "you didn't know that 30 days ago would be your LAST drink, so you should go out, and go out with a bang". "There were some pretty awful things that happened when I drank, but the majority of the time, it was pretty low key. So, it would be okay to do it one more time".

I guess today feels like another loss, instead of a gain. It's a realization that I'm probably an alcoholic, and I really don't want to be one. It's not a happy, yay I'm sober, day!
Why would you tell yourself you would quit for 30 days? These are the kind of thoughts that alcoholics "think" that make perfect sense to us and would make a normal person cringe.
Thinking of your last 30 days as a "loss" is more self-defeating alcoholic thinking.

You are standing at a turning point and your life is going to take a turn for the better or the worse. I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 04-15-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Skip, you made it through the worst part, why look back, you did great. To me, the thought of never drinking again sounds great
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi skip, I know its very tough buddy but as artsoul says just try 1 day at a time at the the min. Just don't drink today and see where that takes you. Thinking to far ahead and never drinking again is just to scary for me, good luck with it :-)
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Skip, you are doing great!

I didn't feel wonderful at 30 days sober either. I had a lot of guilt and stuff to clear up in my life and like you, I truly mourned the loss of my friend alcohol. However, I was beginning to see that I could get through a day and actually have a good day without drinking and that was something I never thought possible.

Good for you for recognizing that you need to stop drinking for good.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't feel that great at 30 days either - my way back was a long one - but it was worth it

As for forever - forever's just a lot of todays joined together I reckon skip - what you're doing is working...keep doing what you're doing

D
Old 04-15-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hey Skip -

I'm proud of you for sticking with your commitment of 30 days. That's a great accomplishment. I think it was true of many of us that we didn't realize the full extent of our problem until we tried to quit.

Just remember, the best part of being an alcoholic is that you can recover.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Add me to the list of those who were underwhelmed at 30 days. At 3 mos. it started to feel so different, though. The joy and hope began returning. The shock of quitting, & grieving for my 'friend' ended. I was on my way to being free - you are too, skip. You just don't see it quite yet.

Proud of you!!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue View Post
It's a realization that I'm probably an alcoholic, and I really don't want to be one. It's not a happy, yay I'm sober, day!
You're still hanging on to that thin thread you might not be....But you have made incredible progress...None of us want to admit we are alcoholics skip...I didn't have a big celebration when I did either...But it wasn't until I honestly admitted to myself that I was...That I couldn't control when I started to drink...And I couldn't control when I stopped...Simply put...I couldn't drink safely without harming myself or others......It was only then that I could take the action to do something about it....Be thankful you're realizing it now....And you're sparing yourself untold misery and destruction....You should at least be grateful for that.....If it makes you feel any better...I'm happy for you.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah I didn't even post on here at 30 days. It was a weird day. Now I'm on day 41 and that's a weird day too. Had some great days in between though so hang in there. Really proud of you skip.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well done, why not 31
Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Listen skip, none of us wanted to be alcoholics. We all wanted to be normal drinkers again. It just is not possible, physically nor mentally. I understand what you're feeling right now, I had 30 days under my belt before I arrived at SR and I drove myself insane over it. Keep doing what you're doing one day at a time ane before you know it you'll have a couple months and you won't even want to drink anymore.