Notices

in early detox stage?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

in early detox stage?

Hello- I am very new, and need help understanding my husbands detox stage-its been about a month of not drinking, and please help me if any of you can. What are some common problems, symptoms? What is "normal" for a person at this stage? Alot of sleeping? crying? nose-bleeds? Thank you for your help!! My heart goes out to all of you.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome LewisLady! Glad to have you with us. You might also benefit from the Friends & Family Forum.

I never had nosebleeds, but I was exhausted for a long time after quitting. We put our bodies through so much torture - it takes awhile to come back around. I was emotional at times too - felt rather sorry for myself in the beginning. Maybe he should see a doctor about his concerns, if that's possible.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

sleeping a lot, yeah
emotional, yeah to the extreme
nose-bleeds? not me, is he drinking enough fluid?

I'd call the doctor and discuss this with him. Is your husband attending AA meetings and working the steps or reading AVRT? Any recovery program? They help us immensely!

Prayers to you two,
Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think what people feel in recovery apart from the usual cravings can vary as much as why we drink in the first place.

Why don't you tell us what he's experiencing and we'll be able to say if it's happened to us or not and how long it lasted etc.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
You are wise to ask. I went through, sweats, sleeping, no sleep, anger, tummy troubles, cravings ect. Just love him. all in all he has to do it. just love him and be glad he is trying.
Diana
Old 04-15-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Detox is over after 10 days or less for most everyone, and certainly should be over after a month. Emotional ups and downs are common in PAWS - post acute withdrawal syndrome. Nosebleeds are a sign that he is actively using or drinking, but it could be anything. A Dr should be consulted IMHO.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Not sure about the nose bleeds but the crying and insomnia...i understand that. I'm on mood stabilizers and sleep aids so that's helped me a ton. Has he seen a doctor? Lots of people in recovery need medical aid in the form of therapy and perhaps medication to help in recovery. Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome can last months after the last drink or use.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

HI again: I am just figuring out how this web site works and how to find your responses. I am glad U asked about what I see him experiencing. Well for one thing, positive breath tests, in fact .4 which is like humungously over even the legal limit, and the second thing, positive urine test, all the while swearing up one side & down the other he has not drank liquor (straight vodka was his drink) for weeks. Please understand that we are separated and he is saying he's staying sober so he can come around and try to rebuild our relationship- so, My question is -is this normal? Is it what is known as a "dry drunk?" thanks for any help, you are greatly appreciated...
Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will look up Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms- maybe that's where I can learn more, thank You!!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you- I will do some research on the Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms. Thank you all, you are greatly insightful , and I will also look into the Family support site.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Positive tests for breath and urine? Sounds like he's in denial and is trying to hide something, hun.

Prayers to you both,
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LewisLady View Post
HI again: I am just figuring out how this web site works and how to find your responses. I am glad U asked about what I see him experiencing. Well for one thing, positive breath tests, in fact .4 which is like humungously over even the legal limit, and the second thing, positive urine test, all the while swearing up one side & down the other he has not drank liquor (straight vodka was his drink) for weeks. Please understand that we are separated and he is saying he's staying sober so he can come around and try to rebuild our relationship- so, My question is -is this normal? Is it what is known as a "dry drunk?" thanks for any help, you are greatly appreciated...
He is drinking, period. These tests are very accurate. Test them on yourself if you doubt it. This is why he has nosebleeds and is a symptom of both esophageal varices and cirrhosis.

A "dry drunk" is where a person is not drinking but still exhibits the personality traits of an active alcoholic - selfish, egoistical, lying, manipulation, not paricipaing in AA or any other recovery aciviies, etc. A dry drunk will blow 0.00 on a breathalyzer.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was a moderate drinker for about 8 months. When I quit I was really nervous all the time. My heart would race. I was ANGRY with people. I said things I didn't mean (although I was probably a LOT more hurtful drunk, I just didn't remember it) and I was a frustrating person to try and get along with. I became less social, just because I had to learn how to have fun without alcohol. For alcoholics this is hard. At least for ME it was! I couldn't imagine enjoying myself at a party as the sober one. And lying. Lying at first. When I first decided to quit it took me a long time to actually quit. First I went 12 hours (which doesn't sound like a big deal but when you drink from the time you wake up, until the time you go to bed, it is) then I went a day. Then two. Then a week. I relapsed a bunch of times. I told people I hadn't drank but I had. I lied to protect them or at least that's what I told myself at the time... I was selfish. I've been on both sides, been in your shoes and been in love with an addict. And I've been one myself. And the grass isn't green from either side. Chances are you husband doesn't exactly want to lie to you...but it just becomes such a habit. Sneaking out alcohol bottles, pretending to be sober when you're far from it...and none of what I ever did was because I didn't care about the people who were kind enough to stick by me through that time, it was just because...alcohol changes you. I don't like me I was on alcohol. Personally I'm still learning to like to sober me. It's tough it a long road. Your husband and I are lucky to have people who have stood by us. That being said there is only a certain amount you can put up with until you end up enabling. It's a fine line. Put you first. It's easier said then done. Believe me I know that better than anyone. Good luck and I wish you and your husband the very best of luck