Notices

The "philosophy" of AA

Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I feel that.

The other steps make me a better person, but my status as a nondrinker was cemented when I fully and eternally embraced Step 1.
nicely put
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sapling,
OK that was not clear either. I was not an alcoholic in practice until my 56th and 57th year and was retired. I had a solid marriage of soon to be 40 years, and no money problems and am set for life though not rich either. I was a counselor at University and had a long military career. In other words I was already honorable, truthful, and had hurt no one but myself. I did not drive drunk nor was abusive to anybody when I drank. Just myself. Had I the experience I have now I would never have let myself slide down that path. See I was a teacher too. None of that to impress, simply to explain that I got hooked physically very badly, but had a life to learn the self discipline to not go down any farther than I did, hurting only me, almost killing only me. No steps to take but step one.

I am now back, and am better than before because of my experiences as an alcoholic and learning recovering. I did not start before i learned social skills or had gotten a very good education. I did not have to learn to make money and save it I already did. I did not lose any of that or my spouse along the way. To some my bottom might look like no bottom at all. It was my bottom nevertheless. That does not make me better or worse. Just another run of the mill alcoholic who decided to stop.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaleMale View Post
I couldn't do it alone. I needed a positive peer group to support my resolve. Everyone I knew was a drunk or pothead... The Spiritual Awakening is also called a "psychic change" sufficient to avoid the first drink. To me, the psychic change was deep choice to try to be happy. Seeing the glass half full and filling it the rest myself. "Spiritual" to this agnostic simply means "life affirming" and humility. My cynicism was killing me.

Getting back my life back on the rails took a lot of work. And those rails are mine, not AAs. Confucious said, "Chance favors the prepared." The AA method has helped me get prepared. It hasn't converted me. I don't see it as a philosophy, but more so as a technology.
This is beautiful, thank you for sharing it, PaleMale.

I too was resistant to the word "spiritual" but now I embrace it. I too wanted to be different from my "friends," aka party buddies/enablers, who were stuck in the same trap of misery that I was trying to get out of. Their way of looking at life was bleak and grim-- sure, they wanted to have fun "in the moment" but what about the next morning?! I thought, there has to be more. For me "spirituality" is about finding purpose and meaning in my life, realizing we are all connected and there is a much bigger world out there than I realized when I was staring down a bottle feeling isolated and self-centered. I am a spiritual agnostic now and I'm happy with that.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Pigtails,
Always liked your posts. Well said too. I don't need any labels but I feel in your company and the others as I did with my home group back then. I feel like a kindred "spirit" with many here.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I can't even comprehend a person that stays sober on their own will power. Alcohol is a medicine for me, it fills up and fixes every problem I have. When I'm drunk I'm sociable, happy, outgoing, etc.

When I'm sober all those things are unattainable, believe me I've tried. Alcohol, for now, makes me feel like a normal person and when being sober life is just miserable. So how does a person like me get sober without something like AA?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

That might best be the topic of it's own thread lovetodrink...but alcohol was my medicine too - until it made me sicker than I was in the first place.

It's tough to learn to live sober, but it is possible.

Supports important - as is the commitment you need to accepting that drinking is not a solution, it's a prison.

D
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovetodrink View Post

So how does a person like me get sober without something like AA?
There is an excellent post in this section by Bayliss in which Terminally Unique posted an answer to the same question.

There is also AA, it will always be there too... Drop by the 12 step section if you want.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

<brief hijack of thread>

Good to see you back, Itchy.

<we now return to your regular programming>
Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Interesting thread. I'm coming up on three years sober with no "formal" program. While I was lying in my local emergency room, recovering from an acute panic attack, I realized that my drinking was slowly killing me and I made the decision to stop. I told a few close friends and family members and most have lent helpful support along the way. I also joined SR and this has helped me stay focused on my recovery. Today I am happily sober and grateful to be free from the chains of addiction.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

SR has been the biggest help in my recovery so far. I think the variety of experiences, personalities, and the availability of it are what makes it such a valuable resource to me.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Desertsong, I'll try to spend more time in Newcomers!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
When you posted...

It was up to me to drink...it IS up to me not to drink (my philosophy).

You're not exactly doing it on your own then...You just don't go to AA because you don't like groups...I don't either. But I wasn't in much of a position to be picky about what I wanted or didn't want to do. I went into AA wanting to stop drinking....I look at it now...That's a very small part out of what I have gotten out of this program.....A life I never dreamed of....You know I heard that sh!t when I got there and I didn't believe it. Now I do.
Just as I would not blame others for my drinking I don't credit them either.there are tools that I use, but my decisions are made by only one person.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
Just as I would not blame others for my drinking I don't credit them either.there are tools that I use, but my decisions are made by only one person.
Like I said before...I admire you for it. Maybe I use the fellowship like you use your social worker and a shrink....Whatever works...I have a set of spiritual tools I use myself....I'm just glad we're both sober.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

good post. I'm not sure I understand it completely either. The way I understand it is that it is group support with stories of encouragement. You certainly don't need a higher power to stop you from drinking. That's a complete lie.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepfinding2 View Post

That's a complete lie.
Prove it....

I am just rattlin' your cage, a little. But I have a purpose...

To those who are atheist, I get it and that's cool... But I cannot prove to you anymore than you can prove to me, the existence of God, or not...
Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

You certainly don't need a higher power to stop you from drinking. That's a complete lie.
Don't tell my Higher Power that....He's doing a good job...
Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
To those who are atheist, I get it and that's cool... But I cannot prove to you anymore than you can prove to me, the existence of God, or not...
It's not just about atheists, though. Some people believe in G-d, but don't believe that G-d is in the business of restraining elbows or mitigating desire. That is, they consider it more appropriate to pledge to G-d that they will stay sober.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I ask for God with help staying sober, but I don't think that he makes me sober. He brought me to a place in my life where I was able to make the commitment to a life without drinking, but I'm not an automaton. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I pledge to God that I won't drink, I think he took more of an active role in my recovery than that, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that God made me not drink either.

It's like the Lord's Prayer (our father): Lead us not into temptation. It doesn't say 'keep me from sinning', and it doesn't say 'help me pledge to you that I won't sin'.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
It's not just about atheists, though. Some people believe in G-d, but don't believe that G-d is in the business of restraining elbows or mitigating desire. That is, they consider it more appropriate to pledge to G-d that they will stay sober.
I feel it's more about living God's will for me...Which makes me a better human being and I have total faith that drinking is not part of it. Maybe that's why the obsession for alcohol has been lifted for me....That's the miracle of it.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'm not sure I understand it completely either.The way I understand it is that it is group support with stories of encouragement.
You are correct, you don't understand it. But I bet you could if you tried.

You certainly don't need a higher power to stop you from drinking. That's a complete lie.
Interesting that you would presume to know what is needed for everbody. You might want to rethink that.