Notices

Regret

Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

At first I've felt bad because i couldn't drink away my problems anymore, that truely bothered me, but it makes me face up to the things i've done, i had to forgive and forget for myself. I've never blamed anyone but myself for drinking. you sound like a good egg hypo, you know better than to drink again.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
...for the first time today my doctor actually asked me what my future plans for drinking were. This was the first time anyone has asked me that...
It is very interesting how so few people ever ask that question, no? If it weren't for the fact that so many new people tell me they like my current signature line, I might change it to "What is your plan for your future use of alcohol and other drugs? Are you going to drink/use again, or are you not?"

It is even more interesting how people rarely suggest quitting drinking, like they do with cigarettes. With alcohol, they only suggest 'cutting back' or 'getting help'. Only three people in my life ever told me unequivocally to quit drinking and to never touch alcohol again — two of them were my parents.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
It is very interesting how so few people ever ask that question, no? If it weren't for the fact that so many new people tell me they like my current signature line, I might change it to "What is your plan for your future use of alcohol and other drugs? Are you going to drink/use again, or are you not?"

It is even more interesting how people rarely suggest quitting drinking, like they do with cigarettes. With alcohol, they only suggest 'cutting back' or 'getting help'. Only three people in my life ever told me unequivocally to quit drinking and to never touch alcohol again — two of them were my parents.
Keep your signature line as it is, it's got a positive ring about it

It's a good question though because it makes you have to explain yourself, even in my years of trying to moderate I'd eventually have to admit that it wasn't working.

My doc had never heard of AVRT though, or even SMART, so I filled him in on the AA alternatives and told him about SR too

Regarding the 'cutting back' thing, that seems to be standard advice from health services in the UK now. I have no idea why that came about but it's a bit rubbish for people who can't cut back. Thank god for places like SR where people tell you how it is