Notices

6 months

Old 04-15-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Argonaut

6 months

"6th day without drinking - almost failed" - That was the title of my first post here.

And now here I am, 6 months. The longest period without alcohol since I started drinking at the age of 18. I never thought I could do it in the beginning and it took time to realize and commit to a life without alcohol.

I finally understand that alcohol is a substance I can't tolerate, like someone who is allergic to peanuts or bee stings. Just like an allergic person I would die from exposure to this substance, the only difference that it will take a bit longer with alcohol. But in the end, prolonged used of alcohol is a dead end for an alcoholic like me.

Life is so much better without alcohol. Just a few plus sides: no hangovers, lower blood pressure, lost 16 pounds, working out almost daily.

Social life: my family slowly starts to trust me again after all those things I did to them because of my drinking, I enjoy talking to my family again, being able to pick up that phone sober at any time day or night when friends or family call and being there for them.

I found out who my true friends are and which persons were just drinking buddies. The relationships with the true friends have become better and I met a lot of new people, new friends.

The road to recovery is long. I still have financial and work related problems and issues with anxiety. But I would never be able to deal with these problems if I still would be drinking.

I also take a small dose (2,5mg) of Valium against panic attacks and I would like to stop, so I could be totally sober. But the withdrawals from this benzo's are so bad, that I would have to quit work for a few months, something I can't do until I have settled my financial issues. Be very careful with prescription drugs like Valium and other benzo's, it's very easy to become dependent, even on a low dose. But I beat alcohol, so I am certain I can beat this addiction too.

One thing I learned from my 6 months here that recovery is a daily job. Get active, whether it's AA, AVRT, visiting SR or any other group.

Don't let your guard down, don't get overconfident and be grateful for every day without alcohol.

Have a nice day all!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats, Geralt! 6 months without booze is a fantastic accomplishment! And it sounds like you are making tremendous strides in clearing the wreckage.

I too have a 2.5 mg rx for Xanax, and have found that taking them regularly triggered my depression the same way that alcohol did. Although I've used them, I've also stopped without trouble, and am stopped right now. I'd encourage you to give it a try. Perhaps start on a Thurs and get through the initial w/d over the weekend when you don't have to work (if that's the case). I also rationalized both my benzo and my ritalin use with having to produce a living, but I was fooling myself. I'm better off, mentally, without either, and more even-tempered, too.

Again, awesome job on the booze!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months sober!!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Geralt! I like what you said about being able to answer the phone at anytime. I love that too. People know I'm available sober anytime, not a drunk who won't remember a word. Keep up your good work
Old 04-15-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Awesome Geralt! Congratulations on 6 months!

Answering the phone or door, yeah, I can deal with that today. Taking the trash out during the daylight, yeah, that, too! Bright eyes looking at you instead of puffy red eyes that appear dead, yeah, I can look at people today, too!

Keep up the great progress!
Hugs,