Notices

Hi all..day 1

Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all..day 1

Hi everyone
Decided to join today as i now realize i require help! Been drinking heavy for about 12 years (beer/lager) but last 2 months turned to vodka. Im now hiding bottles in bizzare places and drinking more! I have a wonderful supportive wife and amazing children, but cant seem to get rid of the booze! I work full time ina proffesional job so should have everything i need. Anyway day 1 for me now starting today! Have given up twice in the ladt 12 months but by day 5 i was beat again.. I have to give it up in total as i cant do "just the one drink"
One thing is for sure, switching to vodka was a BIG mistake for me..cant remember last few days properly!
Hopefully will get some support here to help me out.. But i an determined this time, whatever ot takes!

Maybe joined you guys for when times get tough and need some encouragement for support!

Thanks all......
Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome. Sounds like you have made the right decision. Your life sounds good and full, you don't need the booze. I am on day 13. I tried to quit several times in the past but always relapsed. So far this site has saved the day. I have tried to do it without support, (AA is not for me, but it might be for you) but now know that is impossible.

Just to read stories on here, get help and support when you need it is invaluable to me. I wish you well, use this site as support and you should check out AA. You will get lots more responses than mine, you;ll see and they will all give good advice.

Stay strong, vodka is not good but I was always beer and lager, still managed to wreck my life on that!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on joining us on this fantastic journey called the freedom from alcohol.
Hope you have a plan to change your life so that you dont return to the vodka.
It may very well be rough in the beginning. I changed everything thru a 12 step program and that worked for me. I wish you the best. Hold on- its going to be a wild ride!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome
Old 04-14-2012, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome robo1

Do you have a plan for quitting?

D
Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! You made keen observations about your decisions, and have realized that you need to make a change. I am with Dee. . .what is your plan? Let us and this site help you. Read what is here. Call upon us for support and advice if you need or want it.

And most importantly, stay strong. Now that you have made the choice for a better life, what do you want to do to get there? Again, use us or other supports to figure this out.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your warm welcome guys...

No i do not have any plan? Just planning to stop. But after reading a bit more here this morning, i think i need to get one!?

Are there plans/programs on here? Sorry all but this is the 1st time ive looked into this..think ive got a lot of reading to do..

Seems to be a mindfield! Any preferences or advice would be much appreciated! Really dont fancy attending an AA meeting though

Thanks again all…
Old 04-14-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah loads. See AVRT on here.
Good luck here is a great place for support.
I found it bumpy and sleep deprived but still had better rest than with a hangover.
Feel the confidence with each added day, and don't think that testing the water is a good idea .
Set a goal then beat it and carry on?
Time like distance is good to have between you and that last drink.
Enjoy your kids and wife .
Does she know your going dry?
All the best?
John.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This might sound too simplistic, but the following suggestion works for me:

Spend more time doing what is working in your life, and this leaves less time for things that are not. You love your wife and kids. Focus on that. Spend time with them. Even if you are cranky and uncomfortable, it is better than hungover and miserable.

Get medical assistance if you need it. I had to. It saw me through the initial rough patch.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Yeah loads. See AVRT on here.
Good luck here is a great place for support.
I found it bumpy and sleep deprived but still had better rest than with a hangover.
Feel the confidence with each added day, and don't think that testing the water is a good idea .
Set a goal then beat it and carry on?
Time like distance is good to have between you and that last drink.
Enjoy your kids and wife .
Does she know your going dry?
All the best?
John.
Hi John
I will check out that now. Yes she knows im going dry from today will give me all the support i could ask for....
Many thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Robo1 - happy to have you on board!

91 days ago I found the bottom of my box of wine. I crawled out of that sucked dry, vapor sealed plastic bag and decided enough was enough. I joined the January 2012 class here at SR and have never looked back. The strength, support, advice, comfort, butt kicking, friendship and love I received from my fellow travelers is unparalled. You will find amazing advice and assistance from the fine folks here at SR. Welcome - you've made a wonderful choice, be sure and keep us all posted on your journey!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Robo!

Great decision to get sober! It's really hard to do this alone so good for you for reaching out today!

There's a little hump at about day 4 or 5 because that's when we start feeling better and think that we're in control again, that "this time" will be different. If you know it's going to happen, you can get prepared for it.

With your determination and getting support you can do it!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Welcome Robo! Best of luck! Stick close to SR in the early days. It has helped me tons.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! Lots of good support here, pour a coffee or tea and hang out here, you will find lots of people you can relate to here. I wish you well!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

its nice to see the advice people have for one another....the control that ETOH has had on me has been so draining, physically emotionally....i guess it is one day at a time and family that can support me is there but for me i had a very rough time with my inlaws and it seems i am going to have to move along for sobriety n peace....it cost me though
Old 04-14-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello Robo:

My recovery came in the fellowship of AA.
Quitting drinking is relatively simple, don't put the bottle in your mouth...
Staying quit and enjoying living sober is another thing.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 04-14-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too sim2012

D
Old 04-14-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Robo. Wise of you to realize trying to have 'just one' won't work. I was determined to use willpower to control what I drank. I almost lost my life - and came to the conclusion I couldn't touch a drop. I wish it hadn't taken me decades to see the light.

We're very glad you joined us - you'll find you're among friends who really get what you're going through. Keep posting - you can do this.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks all! Very glad i joined,..been reading quite a bit on here now and cant believe just how many of us are going, or have gone through this nightmare..anyway going to join the April class now...and day 2!
Take care all......
Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes i started AA, prayer and meditation, joined a gym, and working the steps. I did get a sponsor but i feel like i am bad at calling and im not sure what to do, i guess i should just ask her...how to work the steps, i mean i have all the text material but i hesitate to talk to her...im not sure if its me or what??!!