Notices

Drinking: America's Favorite Pastime

Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking: America's Favorite Pastime

Has anyone else noticed this since drying out? Everyone I meet seems to want to "go get a drink" or "go to happy hour." Since stopping, I really have no interest in going to a bar or any other gathering where the focus is on drinking. I understand most of these folks probably just drink socially but even then, it just has no appeal. House parties, bars, and clubs all just sound super boring. I'd much rather go do something like mountain biking or climbing.

Additionally, TV seems kind of plagued with booze commercials depicting all these folks having great times with a drink in their hand. I can't help but feel like a lot of folks just fall into social conformity since the media implies that drinking is the best way to have fun.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the matter? I need to find me some outdoorsy friends.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found I noticed drinking everywhere, all the time...then not so much...then pretty rarely...

These days it needs to be right in my face for it to register with me.

I'm sure it will cease to be such a red hot issue for you too DreamingDog...eventually.

Stick with it

D
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee,

It's like cars, ever start noticing particular ones after you start paying attention? I got a used truck, now It seems Everyone is driving my model, but Before I rarely noticed them.

Now I am noticing how many people do not drink, I was helping a freind with there refridgerator filter and noticed a few bottles of vodka in there, it took a few weeks to order the filter, when I went back to install the filter the vodka was still there, stuff like that wouldnt have lasted a day in my ice box, but I notice stuff like that, but that vodka was prob the last thing on her mind, it was untouched after weeks.

but yea, it was my favorite past time for years, and if I had never drank before I might try it with all the attention it gets,

but Ive been there and done that... and for me it's not an option anymore.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had to stop watching certain tv shows because pretty much every scene involved someone having a drink.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So many people don't drink. Because our alcoholic life was the only life we knew, we still think about it and have that mental obsession.

Many people don't leave work and go to the bar.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamingDog View Post
I can't help but feel like a lot of folks just fall into social conformity since the media implies that drinking is the best way to have fun.
I totally agree with this statement. Of course you are going to notice something more if your avoiding it but I think there is a definite lean in society to drinking related activities. Probably due to all the money/taxes it makes. I noticed this long before I quit drinking and it always bugged me.

Take smoking...in the UK they're stopping having cigarettes on display to stop young people from smoking, make it less socially acceptable and all that...but when I go to pick up some meat there's a ton of beer next to my chicken. They're actively pushing it! And people here will defend drinking, huge pub culture (everything happens in pubs here, from book signings to bungee jumps) but god forbid anyone takes it a bit too far and becomes an alcoholic. At this point the individual will be blamed for their lack of self control whereas we'll try and protect people from the dangers of smoking. If the government is able to do this with smoking they should be doing the same thing with drinking. The only thing they ever do with alcohol is raise the prices. Alcohol does so much more damage but it's still actively promoted in the media, in legislation and in society at large.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I know that alcohol is nothing but POISON,
then anything related to it is deadly to me, not
fun and dangerous. Definitely not healthy for
this alcoholic in recovery.

Instead of dreaming or fantasizing about poison
i quickly set my thoughts on things like trips on
our motorcycle, a good meal, watching birds
and all the pretty blooms blosseming in the yard.

Serenity, tranquility and peace of mind, body and soul.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I do agree with the idea that I notice it more because of my new sobriety. The car/truck metaphor really hit it on the head. I've been looking into Xterra 4x4s and all of a sudden, they're everywhere! That's a perfect relation for my mind.

I'm looking forward to the day when I hardly notice it like a few of you mentioned. That'll be nice.

Also, it is kind of rough to see all the media coverage of drinking. It's not just commercials but even my favorite shows. For example, I never noticed what a drunk Penny is in the Big Bang Theory. I don't really even like her character any more because she's always getting trashed. The laugh track goes off when she talks about getting hammered but it's not funny to me anymore. Same thing with How I Met Your Mother; just not that funny anymore. Oh well. I guess that's life.

Thanks again, folks!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I began to recognize that, for many/most people in the world, alcohol is incidental in their lives. And, so they don't notice the commercials, tv shows, etc the way we do. I think it's part of the mourning process that we become so hyper-aware of it.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What still cracks me up is watching normal people drink, it will take them FOREVER to finish their drinks lol. Like, an hour! Then they might not even drink it all lol
But yes, booze adds are everywhere, before it never bothered us, me, it actually encouraged me lol. Little different now
Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Dreaming. Before I stopped drinking, I thought non-drinkers seemed so dull. I figured life would be so boring without it. When I first quit, I was a little resentful - angry even. As the others have said, those feelings all faded. Now I barely notice other's drinking habits.

Congratulations on your sobriety! You're doing great.