Notices

Alcohol and withdrawing, is this true?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FLA

Alcohol and withdrawing, is this true?

This is saying if you don't drink more than a day in a row you will not Withdrawal..

The Odds Of Going Through Alcohol Withdrawal
Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I strongly disagree with that assertion.
Every time you get a hangover you're suffering withdrawal, FLA.

D
Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

alcohol stayed in my body for a while. each person has many variables that come into play--height, weight, amount of intake, drinking history, eating history.....etc.....
Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FLA

I'm talking about real withdrawal, anxiety, hallucinations, depression, nausea, dyharea etc.. Not just a hangover. So with that said is this statement more valid? Idk how I came across the article but it seems like who ever wrote it is educated on alcoholism.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure why you asked for opinions if you've already made up your mind FLA.

I think the article is full of claims with no basis beyond the the fact someones written them down.

At best it's misleading - at worst it's dangerous- but if you want to believe it there's probably nothing I can say that will change your mind.

D
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

NOT MEDICAL ADVICE but have just checked with my bro who is a nurse in high intensit ward and often treats addicts. He says bollocks. Your body adapts to REGULAR in take - cud easily b every second day etc. Always always get medical help. He said that flat statement "if you dont...you will not" is really dangerous, ignore.

Apologies for capitals, am on my fone. And that article made me cross. His wife treated an alcoholic guy whose skin tore when they turned him. Booze is a fricken killer man.

Mornin all!!

X
Old 04-12-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FLA

Any one ever heard of kindling? I wanna know exactly what that is?Im trying to educate myself as much as possible about these things. not trying to justify drinking or anything like that I just like doing my research.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Basically, the more you go through detox, the worse it can get. But why are you asking us, dude? Why not go talk to a doctor?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Good advice sleeping. Sounds like you really care about people, and want to make sure people have the correct information to make informed decisions.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Good advice sleeping. Sounds like you really care about people, and want to make sure people have the correct information to make informed decisions.
Well, yeah hun, you've spent time in my company. I'm all about the informed decisions :rotfxko

Okay, there's some information I just get mad at people writing whatever they damn well please and people getting hurt. That article was written as fact, you know? And yeah, I don't like people to get hurt. Unless they're falling off bikes in slow motion. Then it's hilarious.

Love ya xx
Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Random Guy

76% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Including that one, see anyone can do it.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
76% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Including that one, see anyone can do it.
Nice! I teach my kids that when we're doing persuasive writing. Lie, children... great for my karma, doncherthink?

Hey INH xxx
Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey FLA, it's good to do your research, but don't let it do what it did to me which was to delay me quitting because I was terrified of withdrawals. I think the moderators here would be mad if anyone tried to second guess for someone else if they're going to go through withdrawals so it's understandable that this article would tick a few people off. I got a bit narked reading the HAMS website too, I wasn't able to 'control' my drinking and I thought it was bad advice. Saying that, I did end up tapering a bit but it took a lot of control and at one point I just had to get rid of all the booze and call it a day. Good luck with whatever you decide to do x
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FLA

I'm done drinking! Day 13 now and I feel good. I'll be honest... My old highschool buddies are coming to visit and they are all in a fraternity and drink a lot.. I asked this because I was debating on drinking this weekend. Withdrawing is not fun at all so I was seeing if there was any way I could avoid it. Guess it's better to be honest than lying :/
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Did you know that the page you linked to is on a controlled drinking website?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLA View Post
I'm done drinking! Day 13 now and I feel good. I'll be honest... My old highschool buddies are coming to visit and they are all in a fraternity and drink a lot.. I asked this because I was debating on drinking this weekend. Withdrawing is not fun at all so I was seeing if there was any way I could avoid it. Guess it's better to be honest than lying :/
Nice. I love that you just put it out there

My experience, when I had a binge after going a few days without my withdrawals were worse - like my body was p:ssed that I'd finally given it some time to heal then had hit it in the face. But I never went more than 3 or 4 days.

I feel for you man - it's going to be a tough weekend either way... Let us know what you decide okay?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

well, i will list my experiences. and to be clear, these are just my experiences, not medical advice.

i have experienced severe withdrawal several times. these were all experienced when i would get myself in to a 24/7 drinking habit. my body needed it all the time or it would withdraw.

then after years of sobriety i started drinking about 6 beers a night and experienced no withdrawal for a year(i did get hangovers). but then i increased my drinking, going from 8 up to 16 drinks a night. once i went overboard like that i started experiencing slight withdrawal after about 16 hours of no booze(not severe, but anxiety would be pretty bad). right now i am in a trap and there is only one way out. my body is now used to about 12 drinks a night, if i stay sober i feel good but don't sleep. if i stay sober for like 3 days and then drink i will get mild withdrawal again because my body remembers. i believe i would need at least a month of no drinking to eliminate the possibility of withdrawal( if i stayed sober a month i would also regain a proper sleep cycle). that said i don't think it is worth it anymore. even if you can avoid the withdrawal for a while, it will eventually come back and it will be the same hell you experienced before. for us, staying stopped is the only option.....one that i am admittedly still struggling with.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Nice. I love that you just put it out there

My experience, when I had a binge after going a few days without my withdrawals were worse - like my body was p:ssed that I'd finally given it some time to heal then had hit it in the face. But I never went more than 3 or 4 days.

I feel for you man - it's going to be a tough weekend either way... Let us know what you decide okay?
This was my experience as well. I could be clean a few days and binge on a 6-pack for 1 night, and feel the ramifications for days afterwards. Was the withdrawal life-threatening? I dunno, but after experiencing the shakes, crippling anxiety, and heart palpitations, I probably should've seen a doctor. I now consider those "real" withdrawal symptoms. I'm damn lucky that I didn't end up in the ER.

I'm glad that you're being honest, FLA. But that website concerns me...the article used concrete, conclusive statements that one will not experience withdrawals in a particular situation, and that is blatantly not true.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Argonaut

@FLA here is some information about kindling Kindling (sedative-hypnotic withdrawal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here is my favorite quote about controlled drinking:

"The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death."
Old 04-13-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today 1:54 AM
Any one ever heard of kindling? I wanna know exactly what that is?Im trying to educate myself as much as possible about these things. not trying to justify drinking or anything like that I just like doing my research.
Today 3:05 AM
I'm having a tough time believing anything you say, FLA.