Notices

It's True....Alcoholics can have funny times too!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's True....Alcoholics can have funny times too!

Good evening all,

I had to share about my day. I had to have a physical for a job I'm starting on Monday today and since I don't have a car or license I had someone give me a ride to the general area (I live about 45 minutes from almost anything). I had other errands so I was taking the bus back and forth before my appointment at 1pm.

Well anyway, in between bus stops I decided to cross a 6 lane road to run into a store. It was about 10am so traffic wasn't bad thank goodness. I get across the road, step up on the curb and lost my balance. I thought at first that I might be able to keep myself upright until my backpack (with my heavy "Dinosaur" of a laptop) falls off my shoulder and I realized I was done no matter what I tried.

Well, the truly funny part was after I crashed onto my knee and shoulder I managed to sit on the sidewalk to get my bearings. As I looked up I see a cop go cruising by giving me no thought at all. At first I was really kind of peeved that he didn't stop but after a second I realized that I had just crossed the street, lost my balance, fell down, skinned my knee and was sitting there laughing at myself because I had done all this completely SOBER. Imaging that.....If I had actually been drinking that cop would have stopped and probably arrested me for drunk in public.

I did have someone looking out for me though, there was an elderly woman who stopped to see if I was ok. I told her yes, everything but my pride.

Anyway I thought I would share. I am 526 days sober and I sometimes feel that nothing is going right but thank goodness I get moments like this that make me think outside my box of a brain.

Thanks for letting me share. Have a great night.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah...great stuff...but glad you weren't hurt. You're not trying to mimic the Jay Walker as described in the Big Book, 'eh?

I haven't fallen down in 18 months. I can't call that funny, but the times I did while intoxicated are finally fleeing my memory.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I had a 'great' wreck on my bicycle at about 2 months sober (curb jumped outta nowhere). People did see me and not a one asked if I was OK, maybe because I went completely mental, laughing like a demented clown as I threw the bike ~20 feet away. The bike landed in a church parking lot, of all places and I was glad no one was there except for God and myself. Like you, I was\am so glad I could laugh that off, not head straight for the beer store to drowned myself.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Oh yeah! Some funny falls...Love it!

When I do that, I always jump up, and pretend like it didn't hurt...till I get around a corner...then I scream and cry and punch things
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

:rotfxko

Thanks for sharin! Lunatic

The best falls are in slow-mo: I once (sober. I couldn't ride my bike drunk) got to a red traffic light and slowed to a stop, then realised my shoelace had caught up in my peddle and effectively tied my foot to my bike. It was the left - the one I always put out to rest on when I stop. I'd already started the tilt to the left, could rebalance, couldn't move my foot, and just slowly fell over onto my side. ROFL just remembering it now.

Huge numbers of cars, all stationary at the lights, watching me with wide eyes.

Thing is, my foot was still trapped and the lights were goin to change, so I had to, still lying on my side, kinda just inch myself and my bike over to the verge and up onto the grass. Everyone watching. All complicated by the fact that I was laughing so hard I nearly peed myself.

Ha!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

SSLLLLEEEEPPPPPIIIIIINNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!! That story was effin awesome and I just laughed my arse (that's French for Buttocks) off! That was so funny. Yeah the slow fall. Well...the fast fall, where your legs slip out in front of you, so you are parallel to the ground for a bit...before crashing down can be equally funny.

Man, I was a waiter in a restaurant. Carrying a shrimp platter out to a co-worker's table. I his a wet spot and feet up, like I'm levitating. Then, bam, down I go. the plate breaks over me, I'm covered in shrimp sauce, people think its blood, everyone is staring at me, I don't know if I'm even hurt yet, and the waitress walks up (the platter was going to her table), and says, while I'm laying there on the ground, "Great, guess I'll have to tell my table their food will be late!" Then she walks away.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
worker's table. I his a wet spot and feet up, like I'm levitating. Then, bam, down I go.
:rotfxko Agghh! I love this! The universe draws a breath ... and he's down, ladies and gentlemen he is doooown. Brilliant!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
, so you are parallel to the ground for a bit...before crashing down can be equally funny.
Last time that happened (when I was ~10) I got the breath knocked out of me, not fun at all but it was more than likely funny for others to see.

I've always liked this one:
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

that is one of my favorite movies too.

when he is stuck in the hole in the floor and shelly long comes home, they argue..

"it's amazing that you ever passed the Bar" (he's an attorney)
"YOU never passed a bar in your life"!
she answers...."You're so much more attractive when I'm drunk".
Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was going to a new meeting on a Saturday morning at 10 AM. The church was large with way more doors than were necessary. It's also on a very busy corner smack dab in the middle of our, relatively, small town.

Door #1 - locked
Door #2 - locked
Door #3 - locked
Door #4 - also locked but I pulled on it so mightily that I slipped backwards and tumbled down the four steps to the sidewalk. The old guys in the barbershop across the street and the people stopped at the traffic light got an impromptu show. I was sober as a judge but must have looked every bit the town drunk, or village idiot, as the case may be.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hahahaha! Nice Sober!

H was 13, walking down a dusty road in Australia, hands firmly tucked into the back pockets of his skin tight stretch jeans (hey it was the eighties). Let's be generous and call him on the chubby side.

He's walking, he's walking, his foot hits a stone, he's overbalancing ... and he's down. Hands still tucked firmly in the back pockets of his tightly stretched jeans. Rumours of a seismic reading from the area might just have been a coincidence. The truckload of teenage kids who drove past him as he went down and p:ssed themselves laughing could possibly confirm.

Throwing an empty beer can at his little head was just mean, but they went there, oh they went there. Then sped off and left him in a cloud of dust. Flat on his face, with hands still tucked firmly into the back pockets of... well, you get it.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Awesome SOBERINNEPA!

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Thing is, my foot was still trapped and the lights were goin to change, so I had to, still lying on my side, kinda just inch myself and my bike over to the verge and up onto the grass. Everyone watching.
^ This is one of the funniest things I have ever read. I was crying as I read this post, and had to come back to it again. I would have loved to have seen this.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Haha! Me an H were pssing ourselves laughing as we wrote it. I have heard and told that story endlessly over the 8 years we've known each other and it still cracks. me. up.

Poor baby. Flat on his face. Went down like a fricken tree. :rotfxko
Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

You guys are funny.

I've discovered, unfortunately, that I am just as clumsy sober as I ever was when I was drunk. I didn't inherit the "grace" gene. My mom is the same way ... we can hurt ourselves on anything. Trip over things that aren't there, drop things, walk into walls, fall up stairs ... I've been teased about it my whole life.

Did have a funny sober moment the other day though. A group of us girls are going on a "women in recovery" retreat the last weekend of April and we're trying to find a good place to stay because the accommodations at the retreat sounded kind of sketchy. So one of the gals is calling around town to find a cheap motel where we can all stay and has had a little trouble. She called me the other day and told me she thought she found a place and needed $$$ to reserve it so we don't lose it ... she said, "I'd hate for us to get there and end up having to sleep on the floor." Without even thinking, I said, "Wouldn't be so bad ... we're drunks. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time any of us slept on the floor. Might be fun doing it sober for a change." I wasn't trying to be funny, but I thought she was going to bust a gut laughing.

Ah, the sweet moments of sobriety.