Notices

3 Yrs Ago

Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
And you realize that "her" is me? I have mixed emotions when reading my past posts: Sadness, regret, humor (bitter), irritation - I guess none of them are good.
I didn't mean to say that I feel sorry for you now - far from it. I admire your strength. You just sound so hopeful in that old post - it's sad to think that you (or "she" as in the past tense you) had all that crap ahead of you before you'd finally find some peace.

It feels kind of eerie to read. A good reminder that we absolutely control what happens to us. Thanks for posting it.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Good posts lost. Thanks. One thing I see being repeated a lot is the friends and excitement and all of that 3 bucks will buy me a good cup of coffee. I honestly don't care what any other chooses for themselves, and am on no mission. I am here for folks for support and get that in return, but I am very happy to let the universe turn without pretending I can change any of it but me. Me I got! You you sound like you've got you covered too. Stay had by your self.

All we can do here is be here, and share what we found and what is normal and what you need to consult a doc about.

But the biggest things we do here are talk without fear as all have been where we were and are, and listen without judgment or expectations. Everyone is on their path, and sometimes like here, we are lucky enough to have many trails converge on this spot. And now we can see it and return for some camaraderie.
Yeah, I was really worried about my drinking friends and fun. Little did I realize that 1) They weren't my friends and 2) No fun was to be had with booze, my drinking friends, and my lifestyle.

I think I've got me covered. At least in the sense that I believe I'm on the right track. I wasn't so sure about a month ago, but those worries have seemingly been put to rest. I'm not cured, or magically living this great life (just got into an argument with my husband about 1/2 an hour ago) but I'm living a MUCH better life, I'm more aware and conscious, and overall I'm MUCH happier. Thanks Itchy!

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
I didn't mean to say that I feel sorry for you now - far from it. I admire your strength. You just sound so hopeful in that old post - it's sad to think that you (or "she" as in the past tense you) had all that crap ahead of you before you'd finally find some peace.

It feels kind of eerie to read. A good reminder that we absolutely control what happens to us. Thanks for posting it.
I didn't think you felt sorry for me NOW, but I wasn't sure if you realized that the post was FROM me. Sometimes I feel like it's someone else! I was hopeful - but misguided. I didn't "get it", and I really wasn't being honest with myself. I didn't even KNOW I wasn't being honest with myself. Until this year. Weird.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great post, honest to the bone. Thank you for sharing and congrats on your sober time.

I can look back at my own efforts and see bargaining and blaming and minimizing and avoiding...anything but recognizing the big elephant in the middle of the room: booze.

It's humbling to look back at myself with compassion and know that I couldn't change any faster than I did, until I was ready. Thank god SR was here.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for sharing all that hard-earned wisdom with us Lost. A very helpful post from the heart. I loved it.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Sometimes I feel like it's someone else!
Oh yeah, I know that feeling well
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Lost...Just catching up to posts.. really glad you posted this. Your note from 3 years ago speaks to me. In a way that is similar to what I'm (and a lot of other people are) going through. That whole debate about when I can drink, how much, ect. the whole, 'I don't reeaallly have a problem'

Must have been hard for you to share, but glad you did.
I find your post very positive, because you have grow as a person since the original post. Trusting I can do the same.

This time on your vacation you won't have that internal dialogue about should I drink, if so how much, then the inevitable, what did I do that for. Think of the mental energy that will save.

Jim
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hi all, thanks for the well wishes. Jim, yes, I will save energy, won't I? I mean this time around, I'm not spending the energy even before the vacation - to try to figure out how I'll manage my booze, where the bars are, how I can get booze into my hotel room easiest, including the booze cost in my budget, etc.

It's very freeing to know I can do whatever I want, without worrying about being too drunk or hungover to do it.

I think I have grown - but the frustrating part is that it's been so slooooow. And sometimes I feel like I've just slipped back to an old way of thinking.

I had an argument with my husband yesterday. I was stressed about work and he's experiencing an illness (that he'll get over, not serious). I think I got overly angry, and then I got very sad. I couldn't pull myself out of it. I tried a variety of things and in the end felt exhausted. And --- for the first time I thought about how nice it'd be if I could just have a glass of wine. How much calmer I'd feel. How I could get over these feelings if I could have a bottle of wine. I realized the thought for what it was right away and went to work on getting out of my funk. It was really tough.

Today is a better day and I'm glad I am sober. Working through emotions without the handy sedative of booze is very hard.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Lost...Glad today is better and you were able to get out of your funk..

'Working through emotions without the handy sedative of booze is very hard' That is where the growth is. (easier said than done!).

Jim
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Jim, I hope so. It doesn't feel like progress. I just keep hoping I am progressing. I just keep working hard at it and hoping for the best.