Notices

I'm new here and new to sobriety

Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new here and new to sobriety

Hello everyone!

Just a little info about myself. To start off, I am 23 years old and I do have a problem with alcohol. I received my 2nd DUI this past Easter (a few days ago) and it was aggravated and i am trying to get it lowered down to non-ag. I am graduating from college here in 4 weeks with my degree in Economics. Talk about bad timing. I had a job interview with a bank yesterday and was offered a job for after i graduate pending my background check. I know my 1st will be on my record but i dont know if they will see my second since i have yet to be convicted and it has been so soon. I'm stressing out badly and worrying i may lose this opportunity for the job i have been seeking. Ill probably get jail time, house arrest, or probation and if i do pass my background check my new employer will find out about my new conviction not too long after and i could lose the job or just be totally embarrassed. on top of that i am beginning my sobreity which is going to be a difficult journey. i have so much going on right now and i am trying to keep my head up with the consequence i will receive because of my problem and poor judgement. i look forward to speaking with all of you and getting some advice to change my life for the better. If i can turn my life around starting right now then i feel i can still accomplish my goals and dreams.

-Jays2233

(PS- pardon my bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation...like i said im an economics major not an english major :-P)
Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome jays!

Sorry to hear about your circumstances..... It was only by pure luck that I never had a DUI. Alcohol took plenty from me, though, including my sanity(!).
I'm assuming you're fairly young..... you can get through this and put it behind you.

I think I'd put my focus on getting sober for now (instead of worrying so much about the job). I'm glad you're here - it's way too hard to do this on our own.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard.

Dui's never come at a good time, but in my case the 4th one really had a big part in starting my recovery.

Keep comin back.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for the welcome artsoul! just reading through some others posts have made me relax and realize im not the only person going through this. i look forward to sharing experiences with this community on my journey and also trying to help others
Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no DUI experience either but I wanted to welcome you as well Jays
good to have you with us

D
Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jays!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would say be honest with potential employers up front that you made the mistake and they will usually understand. The worst thing would be to have them find out about it before you tell them yourself. Or to not disclose it on a job application and have them find out later. It's embarrassing but even more reason to be honest because employers will see that you have integrity and I think they would respect that. Good luck with your sobriety and your job search!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the welcome! and Amanda I agree, I tend to be a very honest person and if it doesnt show on my background check I am thinking I will inform them before I sign my offer. I still have my part time job ive had through college with a very understanding boss who i told so if worse comes to worse i'll still have employment. but other than that working on sobriety is my #1 goal. all my friends drink every weekend and multiple times per week. and the ones that arent drinking are smoking MJ. its going to be hard to find things to do to still be social and not close myself off from the world but i have to work on myself
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jay2233!! This is a great place to get help!! Lind
Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Jays))) - Welcome to SR! You are, most definitely, not alone and good for you on making your sobriety a priority.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jay! We're so glad you're here with us. You're among friends who understand exactly what you're going through. Things will get better.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Jay,
I have a DUI on my record and worked many years at bank. A DUI is not really too much of a concern in finance. I have a bankruptcy on my credit report though and that is a major red-flag for any financial institution. I've had job offers pulled because of that rather than the DUI.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome jays. You are the age I was when I got my first dui. Not a great time of life for me. As an economics major, I'm sure you can see what the future value of the wasted time and money of a dui could amount to down the road. But, a wake up call can serve as a catalyst for positive change, too, huh? And perhaps even save a life or two.

You are right that you are young enough to learn from it and change your life. I hope you do. This site can be an integral part of that. I hope you'll keep posting!

All the best,