Notices

28 days this Sunday!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

28 days this Sunday!

Hi
OK, so I'm 28 days sober this Sunday. I really can't believe I've made it this far. SR has really been a great help.
I start a new job next Monday and I'm starting to get nervous. Previously I've coped with this type of anxiety by hitting the booze in the days building up to any important event in my life. I'm trying to keep myself busy but I am finding my mind racing more and more as the days count down to my new career. All the thoughts of self doubt and feelings of uselessness are starting to raise their ugly heads.
I know my sobriety is the most important thing and I know starting a new job is a trial I need to overcome.

Anyway I just wanted to share this and hear you thoughts
Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Alfie

D
Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Alfie,

You are doing so so well!! That's a fantastic achievement. Can totally relate to your anxieties about starting the new job. Try and think if you can what you will feel like if you do succumb ........
Re-read those posts from people who have tripped up and how they felt the next morning.
Feeling nervous anticipation is perfectly normal, I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't relate to that. I'm a teacher and going back to work after a fortnight off always triggers feelings of under-confidence and worry that i wont remember how to do it!
Start something completely new and magnify that 100%!
You are doing brilliantly, drinking now will not help you deal with your nerves, and you will without a doubt regret it.
Keep busy, get prepared mentally and relax.
Will be thinking of you xx
Old 04-12-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alfie, Congratulations on 28 days It is natural to have some nervousness when starting a new job. Actually, those feelings can work to your advantage because you may try harder to do a good job. Recommend you treat yourself in some way for 28 days (massage, good book, good movie, etc.) Just think how good you will feel when you start your new job!