Notices

Venting and looking for advice...

Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Venting and looking for advice...

This is usually my time to drink...this time of day until I pass out.
(virtually every day, in fact, since mid-January)

I'm on day 3.
For the 3rd day in a row I've been mean as heck to everyone around me from around 5pm until I fall asleep. I'm totally on edge. My poor hubs is traveling and calls me and I chew him out for no reason at all. White-knuckling it is exactly what it feels like.

I am sure its different for everyone, but how long will this feeling last? When will it get easier?

I am about to put my kids to bed and curl up with a book to get my mind off of it. I'm ready for the day that the craving to drink isn't screaming in my head all evening.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first few days are always difficult - I tried to remember the things I was getting sober for, and all the things I had left in my life.

It's more difficult to be irritable when you're focusing on being grateful for stuff, I think

D
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first few weeks were hard. You just put one foot in front of the other. Strengthen your resolve that you WILL do this. You're not giving anything up by quiting drinking poison. You're gaining a whole new life. Your body, mind, health, family will thank you for it.
My anxiety, depression, irritability faded like a bad dream after a few weeks. Tough it out.
It gets better. I am a much better mother, wife, employee than I've ever been.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love it! Thanks Dee & PCL!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

You are right, it's different for everyone, but I can tell you two things for sure:

1. Nobody is having fun on Day 3 (or if someone did, I haven't met the person!).
2. It will not always be like it is right now--the cravings DO go away.
3. It helps if you stay busy, eat a healthy diet, and get enough rest.
4. Dee makes a good point--it definitely helps to think of the things you're fortunate to have (like your husband and kids, for example).
Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What I meant by tough it out is I had to turn my irritability around on the alcohol. Not people around me. They didn't get me in the mess I was in. I did. So I got mad at it for taking so much away from me. It helped me separate myself from it & see alcohol for what it is. A liar & thief. Only wants to feed its own thirst. It doesn't care what you want or who you hurt. As long as it gets fed.
I had to change my perception of alcohol as my friend to my worst enemy. It's hard to want to go back to a known betrayer.
You can do this.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PLC I love the idea of turning it around. Dee and OTT, I do think focusing on what I am grateful for is smart too. Great stuff.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're getting through this and I expect that tomorrow will be a little easier for you.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, Anna. I guess the good thing is I'm choosing not to have a drink over it
Old 04-11-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

behere - Welcome to the family. We all get it, we all understand what you're going through. I felt the same way for the first week or so. I promise you'll come out into the sunshine once again. Great job on your 3 sober days!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Hi beherenow, it is rough but you'll feel better in a few days if you stick it out.
If you can, eat something. And it helps to drink a lot of water since alcohol dehydrates our bodies. A book sounds great. ((beherenow))
Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

As said it takes time to change your life. It doesnt happen overnight. Took years to get here. I hope you find a program and that will help a ton.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

And good for you Beherenow for posting exactly what you are feeling. That enabled everyone to honestly reply and supply you with some great tools to help you fight this beast......the enemy! In several early sobriety attempts, I would hold everything in and then explode and relapse.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello - Day 3 for me too and I have the same short temper you describe. I have been walking after work and it has helped mix up the usual routine.....I find that I have been eating more than usual, but I figure not drinking is my top priority and I need to do what I can to take it one day at a time. I do look forward to getting back to my happy self soon....I really like the feedback and suggestions here - great advice everyone - Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

I went to meetings to be with others who understood what I was going through. It really helped. At night, I come here. Never alone anymore!

Glad you are here!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome beherenow (love the name, love the book...!)

Give yourself lots of TLC..... I found that I had to take it easy to keep from feeling overwhelmed, which is when I was most irritable. Coming here and just reading helped, too. Congrats on your decision - you can do it!