Notices

Hello. I need help

Old 04-11-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Robbieswan!

I remember how hard I tried to fight the urge to drink and found myself giving in over and over again. All the plotting, planning, hiding, worrying, guilt.....and feeling sick and anxious wore me down. It was a full time job just making sure no one knew.

I don't think any of us can fight this on our own. I found a lot of inspiration and hope here. I was terrified to give up alcohol, but I took it one day at a time and stayed close to the support here. Slowly but surely, I started loving my life and began feeling good about myself again.

Congrats for taking a big step today - we're here for you!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by robbieswan View Post
I just stopped. But then, I dunno, it just started up again.
I had legal troubles up the wazoo...should have been enough to "convince" me to stop and stay stopped but it didn't seem to be enough.

One of my "consequences" was court-ordered alcohol therapy and AA. From those two I was taught to look at the ".....I dunno, it just started..." piece that happened over and over to me. Seeing that I couldn't control it ALL the time helped me see that, given that reality, sooner or later....I was gonna drink again.

Recognizing that I WAS going to keep drinking...even though I didn't want to keep drinking...... that freaked me out. It's a great basis for the 1st step in AA (which, IMO, is THE hardest one of all......). I'm powerless over alcohol.

I thought that "powerless" was supposed to mean I'm ALWAYS powerless and I can't EVER "win." Truth was, I could beat it sometimes....I just couldn't keep on beating it.

I didn't wanna go to AA myself (still waiting to hear the first person say "I can't wait to get to AA" but I'm not holding my breath....lmao) but it seemed like the best option. I sure was a lot less embarassed about my failures and my drinking when I got to AA.......there was NO SHORTAGE of ppl who'd done FAR worse than I ever even thought of. That helped me feel a little better. Even cooler.....all those "way worse" guys......they were sober now and a lot of 'em were pretty "simple" ppl.....not the big thinker I fancied myself to be. Heck, if THEY can do this think there's no WAY I can't!!

Whatever you do Robbie, good luck to ya. Most of the ppl in AA are pretty cool....and we've been right where you are so there's not much judgement.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Robbie
Welcome

I'm not from the UK but there are other Brits here who may be able to share their experience...

here are some UK links & numbers that may be useful:

Wales drug and alcohol helpline

Freephone
0808 808 2234
Or text DAN to

Wales Drug Helpline & Alcohol Helpline - Llinell Cymorth Cymru Ar Gyffuriau Ac Alcohol

The National Alcohol Helpline-UK - Tel: 0800 917 8282
Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.

UK National AA Helpline
08457 697 555

other UK links:

FRANK (for younger people)

Smart Recovery UK

Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) Great Britain

Addaction | Drugs & Alcohol Addiction and Recovery: Support - Help - Advice

Alcohol services | Alcohol Concern

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-11-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Glad you found us here Welcome aboard.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am drunk atm. I can't stop it.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I saw in another thread you said you love drinking too much - thats always makes it more difficult to stop.

Maybe it's time for a serious pros and cons list?

Have you thought of rehab - maybe a little time out to clear your head and work out what you really want might help?

D