Notices

What would YOU do?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
LOL Lost.
OMG I post there non stop (at cruise critic).
Well, no. That's a fib. Lately I haven't posted as much since we were still in the mode of "are we going or aren't we?"

I actually went on the board yesterday and asked about the "other beverages" just to prepare myself mentally.

I find if I walk into a situation fully aware and knowing that I WILL ENCOUNTER this then I can prepare. On the other hand, at times when I didn't even think that I would be in this situation, well those are the times that are the hardest.

Daytrader,
I too, have some very nice bottles of wine in my house. I still cook with wine. In fact my hubby opened up some mead that we were cooking with, took a drink and told me how it tasted. While I did have a somewhat "sad" moment, it was most definitely NOT a trigger for me.
I'm pretty certain (like 99.9%) that I can go on a shore excursion like this and almost completely avoid the feeling of temptation. I might have a sad "oh I wish I could do that" moment but I imagine the beauty of the islands, the enjoyable company, the good food will all make me rapidly forget.
Oddly enough, this shore excursion we previously avoided even thinking about! A month ago we saw it and read "champagne" and zoomed away as fast as possible. Now we read it and just shrugged and answered "Really no big deal".

So off I go to Carnival cruise land/website to book it.
Hilarious. Wish we lived closer. I saw the excursion you are talking about. I didn't like the word "champagne" in the title so ignored the description. It sounds fun though now that I see the description.

I have cooking wine in my cabinet - it wouldn't be worth it to try drinking it. I bought one single beer at the grocery a couple of weeks ago to use in my chili. I used half then handed the rest to my husband. He poured a little in a glass, drank it, and said, yechhh, then threw it out. He hardly ever drinks.

I get you on the sad "oh wish I could do that". I had that moment when I saw a pic of someone drinking at the "famous rum shack". It was more of a ohh, I used to do that. But I'm over it. I don't feel I'm missing out on something. It's kind of like watching people bunjee jump - well, that's cool, looks like fun! But um, not for me - EVER!!

So what were your responses on the other beverages thread? I found out that in PR, they actually charge extra to add the booze in - Pina Coladas are their thing. Pretty neat. I heard that kids line up to get these drinks. Minus booze. I'm psyched to have my fruity cocktail with the umbrella too.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Hilarious. Wish we lived closer. I saw the excursion you are talking about. I didn't like the word "champagne" in the title so ignored the description. It sounds fun though now that I see the description.

I have cooking wine in my cabinet - it wouldn't be worth it to try drinking it. I bought one single beer at the grocery a couple of weeks ago to use in my chili. I used half then handed the rest to my husband. He poured a little in a glass, drank it, and said, yechhh, then threw it out. He hardly ever drinks.

I get you on the sad "oh wish I could do that". I had that moment when I saw a pic of someone drinking at the "famous rum shack". It was more of a ohh, I used to do that. But I'm over it. I don't feel I'm missing out on something. It's kind of like watching people bunjee jump - well, that's cool, looks like fun! But um, not for me - EVER!!

So what were your responses on the other beverages thread? I found out that in PR, they actually charge extra to add the booze in - Pina Coladas are their thing. Pretty neat. I heard that kids line up to get these drinks. Minus booze. I'm psyched to have my fruity cocktail with the umbrella too.
Dang, typed out a really long response and lost the entire thing!
I do plan on ordering a virgin pina colada when we leave Miami. Love those things! Also I've got a whole slew of "mocktails" that I can have that will still make things feel "festive" without the alcohol. Hey, I still want my foo foo drink! (minus the alcohol!)
I have my moments when I wish I could drink like my hubby, just have a glass here and there, take it or leave it but I know that ain't happenin so I just keep movin on. I know the longer I am sober the less and less I feel the remorse or sadness.
I keep hoping that through educating my son, that he'll never have to fight this battle.
Instead, he'll have watched his Mommy fight this demon and win and know it can be done.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll make the right decision.

By the way, I loved St. Thomas and spent the day walking miles, shopping and enjoying the local scenery.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Actually this is our second time being in St Thomas. Last time we spent our time shopping but now I'm a bit more nervous shopping since I know our son will want to touch everything!!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
...I wish I could drink like my hubby, just have a glass here and there, take it or leave it but I know that ain't happenin so I just keep movin on.
I too am p.o.'d that my husband can pour a glass of wine and walk away. Alcohol abuse I tell ya.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think you'll make the right decision.

By the way, I loved St. Thomas and spent the day walking miles, shopping and enjoying the local scenery.
That's right, you recently went on a cruise! How hot was it?

Did you have any non-alcoholic froo froo drinks?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Munchkin-

You have done such an awesome job with your sobriety I think you should listen to your whatever your gut is telling you.
You have been honest with yourself for the last 4 months with the good and bad events. You will know inside which decision is right for you.

Congrats on your 4 months!!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you've made your decision so I hope you have a great time Munchkin

D