Notices

I can't take it

Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't take it

I just wanna scream...had the last few beers in my fridge...all I want is more. It's like I'm a damn monster. It's like my whole existence revolves around more more more...I f-ing hate this! I can't get enough...I hate feeling this way and I hate that I have become this. I just wanna get thru today without going to get more.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this and that's what you do. You get through the day without drinking anymore. You're caught in the obsessive-compulsive aspect of addiction and you need to step out of it. You can do this!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ryan, try and distract yourself. Keep reading here on SR.

Go back and re-read your original post from earlier today....
Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drink some water. It's not the best solution and not a ton of fun but it will clear your mind a little and help you stop and think. Good luck! I know exactly how you feel.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

Take a walk, read a book, do something, anything, that will take you away from those thoughts...breathe deeply, pray or meditate if it helps you.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Eating really helps cravings, too (especially something sweet)...... The addicted part of our brain is always going to want more and it will throw fits at first, like a spoiled kid.

Hang around here and read like crazy. Deep breaths, too. The craving won't last forever...... (sending a little prayer out for ya).....
Old 04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Even if you don't like the program of AA...Go to a meeting...It is very calming being around a bunch of people that have been where you are....That know exactly what you're going through...Just feeling you aren't so alone is a big help. Check in here daily and don't drink....An hour at a time if you have to.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're like me Ryan, you've drank for years - it takes time to learn we don;t have to respond to the craving in our head.

I think support is really important - whether it's online or real life, it's importantto remember you have another option now - you can find others who undertsnad and try to talk it out

Try not to get discouraged - it's a life change - many of us faltered a time or two.
D
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just happened to read the book, "Rational Recovery" for the first time today and it opened some big doors for me. Now I'm seeing things a little differently. I'm going to try an experiment below and try to understand what I read and apply it to your post. Take it or leave it, it's just a way for me to start understanding my own recovery and if it helps you, right on. If it sounds preachy or like I'm crazy, oh well, it's just a way for me to put some sense to what I'm going through and hopefully sheds some light for you too.

But I'm no expert, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by RyanRyan View Post
[ Yes that was you, and it would seem you let your addictive voice win this battle] ...all I want is more[ Aha, see, this is NOT you, this "I' is just your adictive voice, because the real you does not want to drink at all. I mean, who wants to go through the pain you are experiencing? Only one thing does, the beast, or your "AV"]. It's like I'm a damn monster. [You are NOT the monster, your AV is the monster! Now you need to decide who will win these arguements going forward, you, or your "monster".] It's like my whole existence revolves around more more more...I f-ing hate this! [ Yes, YOU do hate this addictive voice and it's winning. Fortunately your existence does NOT revolve around this because YOU have control over your monster, so tell it you're done, and be done. It's time to get on with your life.] I can't get enough [Your AV can't get enough, YOU however have had ENOUGH.]...I hate feeling this way and I hate that I have become this [ YOU have not become anything but someone who has let your beast/AV take over your body and decision making. Time to take back the control from this monster. Don't you agree?] I just wanna get thru today without going to get more.[ Then get through the day. Tell your AV to go F*UCK itself and take back the control of your actions. Separate yourself from this AV/beast and look it in the ugly face and tell it you're done drinking. It will fight, kick, claw and scream at you, but those are YOUR hands that pick up the drink, not your AV's. Look at your hands, seriously. Who controls them, you or this monster? Make the decision now. Stop drinking.]
Ok, that helped me a little. I needed that. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up That means a lot

Thanks for taking the time to write that out. It was very helpful to me. So silly the way we think isn't it

Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Going to bed now

Didn't go to buy more ...I guess 3 visits to the store yesterday made me feel like a fool enough for two days.

Tomorrow is day one all over again. Need to get to five days, haven't done that in years. I'm thinking I'll be on SR quite a bit. I'll need the help.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanRyan View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that out. It was very helpful to me. So silly the way we think isn't it

Cool! I was wondering if it sounded crazy or not. Glad it made some sense. It's really opened my eyes when I think this way now.

18 days for me baby!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't feel in a position to really put out much advice, because I can completely relate.. However, what helps me a lot of the time (if nothing else but to stay positive and focused on what I want, which is to stop drinking) is to imagine how ecstatic I will feel the next morning - once I have followed through with my word to myself in regards to drinking goals... Whether small or large.. Any victory against addiction is worth praising, imo.

Good luck!