Notices

Did your drinking affect your work performance?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, if I drink then I will do really bad work. Quit a few jobs because of drinking.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
So, it turns out the term "high functioning" was so much rubbish. In actuality, during my drinking years I was unknowingly an underachiever of great degree.
Spot on. Only I was aware of how much more I could be doing if I wasn't drinking. But while I was drunk, it was easier to think about what an amazing teacher I was going to be when I cut down the booze, than to actually pull my thumb out of my butt and get on with some work.

Now I'm sober and panning on always being sober I don't have any excuses not to be amazing. But hard work is turning out to be a lot more fun than I thought it would...
Old 04-10-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Everything went well for me until the last year of my drinking. In the end, I'd take Friday off to start the party early. Monday would roll around and I'd stayed up since Thursday or so. I couldn't go to work with out sleep so I would take Monday off. Sometimes Tuesday. There were weeks that I'd be taking 3 days off. That got to be a problem. I had a crappy attitude and coworkers started noticing a change in me. It was embarrassing. I realized that something had to give. Work or partying. Decided to give up the partying and I haven't regretted my decision yet
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My drinking did not effect my work at all except that I ran out of all vacation days and sick days and took early retirement instead of being fired so I think of myself as a highly functional alcoholic.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrSilver View Post
Here is how out of touch I was...during my days of drinking I actually thought it was helping my job performance.
I've only been sober for 18 days. I took last week off work as knew my head would be up and down.

I read the sentence above and I'm still thinking a bit like that

I'm assuming it's just my "drinking thinking" and because I've got PAWS at the moment though. I'm feeling anxious and sometimes think "ooh, if I'd had a drink I'd be too hungover to care". I'm sure I didn't perform better before but I've a lot of new processes to put in place at work over next 2 weeks and I'm thinking I'm not up for it.

Someone assure me this will pass if I think about it rationally and look at the facts.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good topic! I have missed loads of work too feeling like garbage from drinking way to much the night before. What started as a weekend affair soon turned into extended liquid lunches. I always knew something was wrong with me when i would be sitting in the parking lot of the bar waiting for them to open.

Day 24 today, feeling fantastic. So much more gets accomplished with a clear mind!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dreamincolour View Post
^me too, but I also flake on people because I didn't want them to see the drunk me... I end up avoiding hanging out with people a lot of the time because I'm just ashamed of getting even slightly sloppy and tainting their idea of me, because that isn't me.. It's the addiction.

me too.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Well yes and no Yes in that I finally noticed it affecting my work no in that it wasn't just alcohol it was a lot of things mainly my own lazieness and lack of motovation or initiative. It is hard to work independently when you just don't care or see a point in any of it anymore. Of course the daily hangovers didn't help, but anyhow affecting my work is what made me think I might have a problem so I tried to quit and that proved to me that i have a problem. So here I am still sucking at my job because I still don't care I am just doing it sober now. haha.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My drinking resulted in my work being haphazard. That's really the best word for it. Things were just barely done. Barely on time, low/running out of what we needed to do business, tax papers not correctly handled, things just hanging by a thread. The last couple years I usually had alcohol in my system at work at the very least, and drinking at work a lot. On the way to work for sure, & usually a couple before I had to really deal with people. Plus I looked like hell a lot at work. Fat, red face, more than once a week no shower/ugly hat day because I was too sick to get ready. How awful. I remember being so sick in the bathroom at work and knowing people could probably hear me. God, I'm thankful to be sober.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by regeneration View Post
I've only been sober for 18 days. I took last week off work as knew my head would be up and down.

I read the sentence above and I'm still thinking a bit like that

I'm assuming it's just my "drinking thinking" and because I've got PAWS at the moment though. I'm feeling anxious and sometimes think "ooh, if I'd had a drink I'd be too hungover to care". I'm sure I didn't perform better before but I've a lot of new processes to put in place at work over next 2 weeks and I'm thinking I'm not up for it.

Someone assure me this will pass if I think about it rationally and look at the facts.
Don't worry about it, it took me months to really have an accurate understanding of how my drinking affected me. Like I often say on here, I wasn't even really able to make the decision to be sober until I hadn't drunk for a couple of weeks.

Hang in there, things clear up in time.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg View Post
My work performance was drastically affected by my drinking. I was always late and sometimes disheveled. I would have to forgo a shower and shave sometimes because I over-slept. I would spend my mornings at work staring at the clock until I could leave at lunch for a few pints at various pubs/bars in the area. I made up a medical condition in order to explain sick days and lack of concentration. I was a low-functioning alcoholic come to think of it. The alcohol sapped all my motivation and ambition, and I got terrible performance reviews. I really only showed up and went through the motions to get a paycheck to pay my rent and feed my alcoholism.
Same here; late everyday, leave early everyday, extended lunches, hungover in the mornings with insane anxiety, ZERO motivation, doing the absolute bare minimum to get paid and stay employed. I too thought I was functioning fine, yeah right. If I was the manager I would have canned my ass in 2 minutes.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Well yes and no Yes in that I finally noticed it affecting my work no in that it wasn't just alcohol it was a lot of things mainly my own lazieness and lack of motovation or initiative. It is hard to work independently when you just don't care or see a point in any of it anymore. Of course the daily hangovers didn't help, but anyhow affecting my work is what made me think I might have a problem so I tried to quit and that proved to me that i have a problem. So here I am still sucking at my job because I still don't care I am just doing it sober now. haha.
Same here too, I won't blame it all on alcohol because it was a mixture of the two. I hated the job so much that I drank more and that made any initiative I had left disappear completely. I worked with 30~ people and only liked 2-3..and the other 27 knew it, that didn't help. Just hated everything about it, I don't wish a job you hate on anyone....it just makes you hate your life and thats no way to live.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Originally Posted by MustStop View Post
I don't wish a job you hate on anyone....it just makes you hate your life and thats no way to live.
Yeah I am starting to realize that more and more it is a major cause of my current mood issues, but at least it woke me up to my drinking problem I can hold onto that when I get done with this bullcrap in a year and a half.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Ranger I used to nearly break my neck trying to pat myself on the back for being so high functioning - never missed a day or a deadline, I was the go to guy, several awards...blah blah blah.

Whatever

What I've done in the last 5 years sober makes me wonder at how little of my potential I used then and what I might have achieved, without my addictions....

D
Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

The true strength of people in recovery still blows me away every day. There's so much strength of will and determination that people seems to gain through the process of getting sober. It's really inspiring.