Notices

I need to do this now!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to do this now!

I can't beleive I am here. What happened? I'm in my mid thirties, I was diagnosed with liver disease a month ago and although I have tried I am still finding joy in the bottom of a bottle. I am sick of it and I need help. If I don't stop, my disease will get worse and I'll slowly die for sure. I have drank heavily for ten years. I pretty much drink myself to sleep every single night. I spend at least $600 a month on booze and I feel like a failure. I have used alcohol to cover up my abusive childhood and being raised in a religous cult...it's obviously done nothing for me than cause health problems. The last few weeks I have gone as long as 4 days without a drink and went walking...it felt good but I then go back on the weekends and just get back on the bottle then regret it. It's a seemingly endless cycle. I need some friends to commit too with the same issues. I am going to see a therapist this week too. I want my life back. I want to live a long time. I want to be a better person. I want to be proud of myself.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

RyanRyan

Its great that you are here. Thats a start! You will find lots of support here.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank daily and compulsively, alone, for a couple years. My physical and mental abilities steadily declined in that time. I did a successful detox, with medical supervision, a month of rehab and, later, found support and fellowship in AA.

It's the last bit that might speak to your issue. I need, really need, to stay out of isolation. If I withdraw, it will be very easy for me to drink again. Going to an AA meeting forces me to engage in a way that's not natural, for me, but is ultimately healthy and supports me effort to stay sober.

Find what works for you and latch on to it.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
So it goes

Welcome Ryanryan you can find recovery here. Read some threads and join in. I was a mess 11 weeks ago and now I am much better
Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ryan, I'm glad that you found us and please know that you can change your life.

We're here to offer support.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

You can do this!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is light on the other side. All you have to do is make a decision that there is ONE SINGLE thing you won't do in your life, drink alcohol. The rest of the world is yours to taste, smell and touch as you please. Nothing changes except for one SPECIFIC type of beverage. Right? That's all it is. One kind of liquid that you're going to replace with something else.

I chose bottled water at 3.99 a 24 pack. It helped me with my sipping/guzzling habit and also helped me with another habit... the need to hold a cold bottle in my hand.

It's a cleansing of the organs, drinking clean spring water nightly, eating healthier and more of the things you enjoy.

I don't know about the cult business, but my Lord was there for me, on my knees for about a half an hour every night asking him to guide me from the life of selfishness of alcohol into sobriety, to judge right over wrong and to be more available, clear and present in life.

You can do this. You just have to take what's bad and replace it with what is good.

Going on 20 months, after over 20 years of drinking every single night, I can say to you. It can be done! It has been done! It happens every single day! It happens to every single type of person.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

There's absolutely no reason you can't do all of those things, Ryan. I'm glad you're here.

I, too, have liver disease. It almost took me. But I look back now & realize it's the best thing that could have ever happened to me. I got a 2nd chance. And I'm turning my life around.

Now not only has my health (greatly) improved, so has every other facet of my life. It's like I'm reborn.
That's not saying it's not difficult. Quite the contrary - the emotional turmoil & depression - especially starting out - seemed overwhelming. But that was due to my perception. The reality is that the minute I stopped drinking everything in my life started improving, and it continues to do so daily. On most days, I can't remember when I've been this happy.

I've replaced my drinking with high-quality healthy food, frequent exercise, and a commitment to healing my body & mind. In less than 6 months of this (without drinking, of course) I've went from knocking on death's door to feeling better than I have in years.

I feel my liver health was improved greatly by: drinking lots of water, staying away from any & all medications not absolutely mandatory (including OTC medications), eating a diet heavy on whole grains, veggies, & fruits, getting good low-to-moderate intensity aerobic exercise in daily (to stimulate circulation), eliminating processed foods, eliminating food additives & preservatives, eliminating environmental toxins (pesticides, chemical cleaners, oil/solvents, etc), and supplementing my diet daily w/ a low-dose vitamin B complex, low-dose vitamin C, and milk thistle 3 times a day. Not saying any of this is proven or recommended. It's just what I did, and for whatever reason, my health has improved greatly. Could be coincidence (though II doubt that )

Your liver has amazing healing properties. But where you're at you're close to pushing it past the point of no return. You can go either way here. You can become a happier, healthier person than you've ever been before, or you can die (a very ugly death, I might add).

Please stop drinking immediately, seek help, and stick around here. This can be your re-birthday!!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the hope

I am making the commitment. If not for me then for my dear children I love so much. They don't deserve a dead Dad.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good choice Ryan. I made the comitment for the same reasons. On one particular night, however, my slefishness 'that is alcoholism' convinced me to roll my Mustang about 5 times with my kids in the car with me. So, in my case quitting wasn't completely about a dead dad, but about a dad who almost had dead kids!!! I cannot and probably never will forgive myself, even though they were not even scratched.

The thing is... When your babies trust you, daddy, to be there and to take care of them, to protect them and always keep them safe, then that ONE time comes around where alcohol (the substance you always said you could control) causes you to lose control... It all becomes clear. I failed my kids in that moment. The Lord protected them amidst my selfishness. I will never again endanger their lives because of alcohol. I hope all drinkers can kick alcohol to the curb before it takes a life, theirs, their loved ones, or a strangers.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ryan this is my first day doing this but these folks on here are helping and im so thankful i found this site ...you can do this we all can ..
Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Ryan
Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LDT

Ispy.....can so definitely relate. Similar personal story. Thanks for the reminder of why I continue to remain sober. The kids are worth it!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks ISPY....thank god I've never done that. I appreciate you sharing that.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Welcome, Ryan
Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanRyan View Post
I can't beleive I am here. What happened? I'm in my mid thirties, I was diagnosed with liver disease a month ago and although I have tried I am still finding joy in the bottom of a bottle. I am sick of it and I need help. If I don't stop, my disease will get worse and I'll slowly die for sure. I have drank heavily for ten years. I pretty much drink myself to sleep every single night. I spend at least $600 a month on booze and I feel like a failure. I have used alcohol to cover up my abusive childhood and being raised in a religous cult...it's obviously done nothing for me than cause health problems. The last few weeks I have gone as long as 4 days without a drink and went walking...it felt good but I then go back on the weekends and just get back on the bottle then regret it. It's a seemingly endless cycle. I need some friends to commit too with the same issues. I am going to see a therapist this week too. I want my life back. I want to live a long time. I want to be a better person. I want to be proud of myself.
Hello and welcome:
I found sobriety in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. I'm sure it would be just the ticket for you as well.
There is support here but you will need direction too. Our very best thinking got us in this mess, we can't rely on our own rationalizing to get us out.
There is a wrench to fit every nut in AA ...

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-09-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here already Ryan.
Be the man you want to be - you'll find a lot of support here

Welcome

D
Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks