Notices

I have 24 hours.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have 24 hours.

Saturday night, after drinking enough to make me sick, I poured 7 beers and an unopened .750 of rum down the kitchen sink. (I finished the first .750 by 3:00 P.M.) Many tears were rolling down my face. I cried like a small child.

I got through Easter Sunday without a single ounce of liquor or beer. I did take a Tylenol though. Nothing else. Tomorrow I will check in with 48 hours on day 3. I am determined. Thanks Sober Recovery Community.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i know how you feel,
this disease is the worst curse .
how on earth can it get so bad so quickly??
Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Keep coming back georgemiller. You can beat this thing, a day at a time.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ulverston, I hear you man. It took 6 consistent years of abuse for me to get here. I still feel 18 years old sometimes because I washed away the last 6 years. No more of that. No more.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm with you...quitting today, but I can't guarantee I'm 100% sober in this second. I hate to say I am because I still feel a little messy from last night's cocktails. I'd determined though, and telling people makes a big difference. Oh, and I would use Ibuprofen if you can...Tylenol is hard on our already damaged livers. Good luck!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lucylestrange, I hear you as well. It's tough. I still feel foggy from Saturdays drinking. It's tough. I really need to pull through and get out of this cloud.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on 24 hours George Are you getting any help to stay sober?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Well done on 24 hours George Are you getting any help to stay sober?
Yes. This website and my girlfriend. She was my drinking buddy, and she has decided to go the sober route with me as she was starting to battle the addiction heavily as well. Today is her day 3. She actually got Saturday sober while I drank enough for the both of us.

I have an AA meeting within walking distance right after work everyday if I am really struggling. I don't like AA very much from the meetings I have gone to, but I know its there and I will go there before I pick up the bottle. I have made that commitment. Now, I have made a promise to my partner, and I won't just be letting myself down, but her as well. Not to mention all of you fine folk.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

So happy for the both of you!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by georgemiller View Post

I have an AA meeting within walking distance right after work everyday if I am really struggling.
A positive attitude and an AA meeting within walking distance sounds like a winning combination.

All the best !!

Bob R
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Georgemiller! You made a wonderful choice to get sober and come here for support! Lots of great people! As for AA, I didn't like it much at first. I kept going cause I heard keep coming untill the miracle happens. And it did!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Took a lot of years of drinking for me to put it down. It took a real bad car wreck, where nobody was injured except for me being beaten to hell and back rolling about 5 times. That was almost 20 months ago and on that night, I was finished. I was then, and am today consumed with guilt, as I could have injured or killed my two children who were with me, doing as good kids do... trusting their dad would never harm them.

That night, I bought a 24 pack case of water (3.99) and a 24 of (on of the cheap brands) ginger ale. From that point on, they would be the drink for me. All I had to do is tell myself "I am cleansing every cell in my body, from the effects of alcohol." and let the water and soda do the rest. I knew that there was the oral habit of drinking, but knew there was a manual habit of holding a cold drink. As I sit at my desk here at work today, there is a bottle of water on my desk. Half of the top shelf of my fridge at home is reserved for a case of water.

I made a promise to myself, to my creator and to my kids (but they don't know it) that I will never again allow alcohol to pass my lips, unless it's mouthwash. Cleansing meant increasing oral hygeine... just everything. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

20 months later, I don't miss a thing. I am sorry for the years I wasted being a slave to 5:00pm - whatever time I would fall asleep/pass out every night.

Now I come and go as I please and I'm available for my kids if they need me, 24/7. It feels good to be me again.

Good luck to you. It's mind over matter. You are in control!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing ISPY. I appreciate it!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations George

D
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Oh George - that's wonderful news. You can have a wonderful new life. In the beginning, we feel like we're losing something precious, but that's a lie. We're gaining our lives back, our sanity, and our health. You can do it!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ISPYSOBRIETY View Post
Now I come and go as I please
i find being able to come and go without having to worry about dui amazing.

after years of planning my transportion around alcohol, and hunkering down with it, it's very liberating to be able to travel safely.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 3

Check In. I have 48 hours. My GF and I went to the gym yesterday right after work and worked out hard. The thought of liquor did not sound pleasing, although the buzz did. I simply focused on cooking a great dinner.

I still wanted that drink while cooking but I fought through it. I made garlic butter glazed chicken legs with a light crunchy breading, along with mashed potatoes. Awesome. Then we watched a horror movie. Wes Craven's New Nightmare. I was so spent from my leg workout I crashed at about 10:30. It felt great to go to bed sober 2 days in a row!

My demons were wrestling with me already this morning though. I get off work at 2 today instead of 5 so I was wondering how to spend those 3 hours til the GF gets off and we go to the gym. Normally I would just post up at the local bar for Happy Hour that starts at 3. Not today. Not today.

I decided to just go get lunch somewhere that does not serve alcohol. Sounds good.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep going Buddy.
John.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Alright Congrats and Welcome
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 4

Yesterday was tough. I almost slipped. Today, I am going to keep my head straight. No nonsense. Here we go! Still sober! Longest time sober in 6 years!