Notices

Back to day one :(

Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to day one :(

Hi guys,

I have been on here for a little while and was doing really well....but I drank this weekend. The relapse made me feel psychotic-I ended up trying to end my own life. Thankfully I got to hospital and it triggered my parents being informed as they wanted to section me. This may not sound positive but my parents have shown me so much love-more than I deserve really. And I am now going to start taking Antabuse and do some community rehab. I tried AA and think it can help a little but I know as well as my alcoholism I have mental illnesses, and the psychiatrist will be able to help me at the rehab unit I am working with.

I am 23 years old and the last year, when my alcoholism has spiralled so far out of control, has been a living Hell. I wanted it all to end...but I feel like now my parents know, and my I have these medical- as well as AA help- I may make it. Alcohol has robbed me of my sanity, but I feel like now I may be able to get it back.

Does anyone have any advice Re: Antabuse? I have the medical info but I just wondered if anyone had any practical advice?

Many thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I'm glad you're getting help, BlueEyedBoy. It's good to have your parents knowing now too ... keeping things like this a secret can kill you, as you almost found out. With their support and the other support you're getting, it sounds like you'll be well on your way. Good thing you're doing this while you're young too - you'll be sparing yourself many more years of hell.

I don't have much experience with Antabuse other than knowing that it will make you VERY ill if you drink with it. You also have to avoid other products that have alcohol in them, such as mouthwash, certain cough medicines/Nyquil, stuff like that. I think they give you a list of things to avoid when you're on it. Some people are apparently more sensitive to it than others. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to give you more info.

Welcome - I'm glad you're here.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you had to go through that BlueEyedBoy but like you I hope it might be a turning point for you

I have no personal experience with antabuse tho, sorry.

D
Old 04-11-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Keep plugging the right path . I hope it all works out better
Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've got the right support there BlueEyedBoy. It's great that your parents know and are able to support you. And that's great about the rehab and AA too. I hope that things come right for you x
Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Blue

I have had a couple of rounds with Antabuse, for my first couple of times on it it did not stop me from drinking and I drank on top of it....do not recommend that at all, horrific really. This time though I took it for the first 3-4 weeks of my sobriety, thought I would never dare get off it but once I also joined AA it helped me find trust in my higher power and not the pill. However, I would not knock it though, for those first weeks when I could not think straight it was a great help.

Good luck with it!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about anatabuse but I went to rehab after an unsuccessful suicide attempt. I think it was the only thing that could have made me get honest with everyone in my life. It's also what gave me a swinging chance at a normal life. I got honest about my drinking, and yes, some other problems, and was amazed at the compassion and support I got.

I think about how I was living, then, and how I live now. It's way better. You're a young guy. Kick the demon to the curb and grab onto life.

Keep posting. We love success stories.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Definitely go to AA, even if you think it will only help just a little. The main goal of AA is to restore you to SANITY! You see once you stop drinking, your brain does not know how to deal with daily stress and problems sober, AA will teach you how to do that, thus giving you your sanity back.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are many roads to recovery, so I do hope you take a look around here and read and learn. I also had mental issues, ie depression, that I had to get properly treated in order to begin to recover. Many of us use alcohol to self-medicate.

I have no experience with antabuse.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

BlueEyedBoy - That must have been terrifying. I'm so glad you are ok. For me, once the truth was out I felt so relieved and so much better about the whole mess. Sorry, I don't have any experience with antabuse.

Hoping you will continue with this positive attitude. Your whole life is ahead of you, and you never have to go back to hell again. Keep talking to us.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hey Blue, glad you're back. I hope the Anabuse helps. I know it's not a long term med. I believe it can eventually cause liver damage. I knew a few people in rehab who were on it. I haven't had any personal experience with it. I would recommend trying 90 AA meetings in 90 days. It sounds like a lot but it sure can't hurt.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Hey Blue eyed,

I leave out the boy part because it seems you are facing some serious man issues such as having a disease and some possible serious thinking problems. I do know that God does not make junk and everyone has a place. Thank you for your honesty in your post. Recovery can be done.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Keep working at it. We are with ya
Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Man, glad you're still with us. Antabuse. Took it a number of years ago and have to say it did wonders for stopping spur of the moment drinking. Since it takes days to leave the system, it gives one time to reflect on the pros and cons of re-starting the cycle. Talk it over with the professionals and perhaps your folks. In my opinion, until your stable, it can't hurt.

Best of luck brother...