Notices

1st meeting in 1 hour - nervous

Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st meeting in 1 hour - nervous

Hi All,

I have my first meeting in an hour and I am a bit nervous. I'm not sure what to expect.
My friend died on Thursday and my resolve is sronger than ever but I have decided to attend an AA meeting to help me along and see what it's all about. Wish me luck everybody - here I go!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Say a little prayer for calmness....Go a little early and meet some people...You'll like them...They are just like you and have been where you are right now. Just listen and take it all in.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Nervous will keep ya on your toes. Just kidding. You'll be okay. We ALL felt like that at our first meeting!

I do suggest you sip the coffee first. It can be strong. LOL

Relax, sit down, try to listen. Definitely try to talk to someone, if you can, before or after the meeting. We are all there to save our lives!

Love,
Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The very best of luck to you, please come back later and share your experience. Have got one planned for tomorrow evening if I've got the guts to go through with it!!!

Am rooting for you xxx
Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

TRY to be as openminded as you can (and I know....that's darn near impossible). Try to set aside expectations, per-judgements, and beliefs..... Just go and EXPERIENCE it. Be like a sponge....absorb as much as you can.

If you get nervous and find yourself not listening but thinking about what you're going to say......catch yourself and remind yourself that youre there to learn. Its tough to learn when your mind is racing for words......so maybe you should just pass and concentrate on listening. Or......talk. There's no rule....it's up to you.

One thing i DIDN'T do that was a bad decision.........when they asked if anyone was new to raise their hand and say hi......I didn't. When the ppl at the table asked me if I was new I lied and said I'd been in AA for 6 months. Never got a newcomers packet, didn't get any numbers, didn't get or ask for any help or guidance. <---- don't do what I did. bad move on my part.

.....feel free to PM me anytime with any questions.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone - I feel better already. I will take that advice on board. And I will definitely come back later and share the experience. Thanks you guys xx
Old 04-07-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Originally Posted by epskie View Post
Hi All,
I have my first meeting in an hour and I am a bit nervous. I'm not sure what to expect.
My friend died on Thursday and my resolve is sronger than ever but I have decided to attend an AA meeting to help me along and see what it's all about. Wish me luck everybody - here I go!
Sorry to hear about your friend. Good luck with your first meeting!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

That is good news epskie,if I lived closer I would come with you. Look forward to reading how you get on. I loved my first meeting.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope things went well epskie
D
Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

So I went. Wow. I still feel apprehensive and a little overwhelmed but I have never felt a welcome like it! I was so nervous and sat in my car taking deep breaths (I had this ridiculous fear that I was going to accidentally walk into a knitting committee or something and have to sit there pretending to love knitting! Handily they have a little sign on the door)

So as soon as I walked into the room the only 3 other women there approached me and offered me a hot drink. Already feeling a bit emotional I started to cry and one of them went to fetch tissues. They were so welcoming I felt at ease immediately.

As I said I am still a little apprehensive but I am going again tonight so what does that say?

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jeni give it a go, you never know unless you try and I'm so glad that I did. Good luck and let us know xx
Old 04-08-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you enjoyed it epskie

D
Old 04-08-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good stuff, epskie! I was waay nervous walking into my 1st meeting 2 months ago as well. A lot of the people I met that night I know call my friends. It sounds corny, but going to that 1st meeting & continuing to go to meetings after, was the best decision I have made in my life. I needed help, AA gave me that help and much-much more.

Plz keep sharing your journey!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA member

Thank you epskie glad it went well.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As I said I am still a little apprehensive but I am going again tonight so what does that say?
It says you made it out of there alive....Pretty soon you'll be offering a hot drink to somone coming to their first meeting....That's how it works...Congrats!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Originally Posted by epskie
It says you may be in the right place! Glad it went well and that you are going back, epskie.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nervous will keep ya on your toes. Just kidding.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

It gets easier. The warmth and caring of the people at meetings is indescribable. After my first meeting, I couldn't wait to go back so I went to another one the same day and met a whole new group of people, and they were just as warm and welcoming. I'm glad you had a good experience - keep going back!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm so glad that I did.
epskie, somehow I knew you would be !!

Wishing you the best .

Bob R. In the colonies
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good job Epskie! It can be a little nerve-racking, that's for sure! I had to chair a meeting for my first time last night, and it was tough, because there was roughly 75 people at the meeting. It was PACKED.

I've learned something over the course of the years in (and out) of AA: When sober, we can face our fears. When drinking, we just run from them.

Good luck at your local group!