Notices
View Poll Results: Is it ok to use drugs in AA ??
yes
12.14%
no
34.95%
depends on the drug
11.17%
prescribed
41.75%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Can I getmy AA one year chip ? If I slipped with drugs.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:43 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Well I'm not in AA so I guess this might not be relevant, but for me: I have a problem with alcohol. I don't have a problem with drugs. Sure, I had a time in my teens and early twenties when I tried everything there was to be tried, but that was a very long time ago and I don't use drugs in any regular way. I don't even take painkillers if I can avoid it. But, and here's the but, if I was at a party and I was offered a joint, I'd take a toke. It happens about once or twice a year, and mostly it reminds me why I don't do it, but occasionally its fun too.
I don't think it jeopardises my sobriety from alcohol because it isn't alcohol.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:49 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

That would be me falling down a slippery slope Kachal cos when I would get high drinking again always sounded like a good idea, and vice versa.

D
Old 12-05-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I get that Dee - I could never go near stimulants for that exact reason - I'd have a drink in me before the line even hit the back of my throat.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I think that's treading a VERY fine line.

One of the things I don't like about AA is its total focus on alcohol. I believe this is an anachronism back to when AA was founded, and few intoxicants other than were available to the average person. I think if one uses a strict definition of sobriety as freedom from alcohol and is smoking weed or taking some other substance it's kind of an end run around sobriety.

This is not true today. There are a lot of people that are cross addicted to alcohol and another substance. In the gay community, it's often meth (and compulsive sex). With younger people, weed (especially since legalization) is often the DOC, or an adjunct to drinking.

I like the all-fellowship meetings, or CA. I get a lot more out of ANY addicts story.

This may be that I can relate to multiple substance addiction.

So to me the answer is that you aren't sober for a year if you've taken any street intoxicant. Using prescription medication AS PRESCRIBED is still sobriety, unless you are getting it from a drug doc, or chasing multiple prescriptions to get more, etc. Psych meds are OK, like adderall for ADHD, depression/bipolar meds. Benzos for anxiety is fine, although I think it's quite a dangerous drug to a sedative addict (including alcohol).

Some people are OK with using something that was not their DOC after they have some sobriety behind them. BUT they have not been SOBER.

To me, I could give rat's *** about chips and cakes, and I don't need to prove sobriety to anyone but myself. And to me, as an addict/alcoholic, that includes ANYTHING not prescribed.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Yes, this is ok.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post

One of the things I don't like about AA is its total focus on alcohol. drinking.
Respectfully, there are many drug related programs. This is why AA is for alcoholics;

https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/P-35...hanAlcohol.pdf
Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Sobriety — freedom from alcohol — through the teaching and practice of the Twelve Steps is the sole purpose of an A.A. group. Groups have repeatedly tried other activities, and they have always failed. It has also been learned that there is no possible way to make non-alcoholics into A.A. members. We have to confine our membership to alcoholics, and we have to confine our A.A. groups to a single purpose. If we don’t stick to these principles, we shall almost surely collapse. And if we collapse, we cannot help anyone.

Bill W

Best,
Fly

Last edited by Dee74; 12-06-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: copyright
Old 12-06-2017, 10:50 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

As I've said...this was written in the 1940s, when alcohol was pretty much the only intoxicant that was widely available. It's a total anachronism. If AA had been more open, maybe those who became hooked on "mother's little helper" in the late 50s would have had somewhere to go.

Many people are cross addicted to substances with alcohol.

The segregation is just silly to me. At least CA lets anyone come and share about whatever addiction they feel is relevant at the time.

Addiction is addiction.

In any event, saying that someone who got high is sober because they didn't drink is a far too literal reading of the tenets of AA.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Mindful

The majority of friends in the rooms are crossed addicted. But AA has a primary purpose as does NA, Al-Anon, SA, OA etc.

I would suggest to a sponsee that using drugs and working the program of AA do not meld, however.