SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Can I getmy AA one year chip ? If I slipped with drugs. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/253577-can-i-getmy-aa-one-year-chip-if-i-slipped-drugs.html)

yeahgr8 05-27-2014 04:27 PM

Sure why not?

pupkin 05-27-2014 06:06 PM

I don't mean for this post to be combative or inflammatory or to seem disrespectful to anyone's valid and deeply-held opinion expressed here. My personal opinion goodnsober is that AA stands for Alcoholics Anonymous, and if you feel you deserve that chip, and if it means something to you, then take it with a clear conscience. I'm sure there are countless people here who have completed a year of sobriety with the help of BZDs or nicotine or caffeine or any number of legal mood-altering substances. Where do you draw the line? I think you've got a heck of a lot to bite off and chew in your personal journey and in THIS area, alcohol, you've made a huge stride that deserves recognition and commemoration. You deserve something you can hold in your hand, if you want it, as proof of your strength as you CONTINUE TO WORK toward a fully good and sober life. Well done to you. Keep it up. In all areas of your life.

Br00ksie 05-27-2014 06:13 PM

Coins are for continuous sobriety and one saying that I hear a lot in AA is "You can't be high and sober at the same time." Alcohol is but a symptom of a greater problem. If you are using drugs to self-medicate instead of alcohol, then you are not being completely sober. IMHO.

Personal experience has taught me this!

deeker 05-27-2014 07:56 PM

If I had to ask the question, right then and there I would know that the answer for me at that time would be no.

The moment it started stealing my peace.

I abused cough medicine after 10 months sobriety on Dec 26th. 2012.

Immediately the committee in my head began playing that game, should I be honest, should I tell the truth.

As soon as that happens I have a choice , I can be honest which would free me from all the chatter in my head or
take the chip and then be constantly bothered by the chatter in my head. ( Am I honest, will they know, did I
deserve it etc?)

Anyone relate?

I would not take the chip. I like my peace of mind to much.I did not take the chip on what would have been 1 year.

This is a older thread.

Mirage74 05-27-2014 09:10 PM

I think this brings up the issue of what it means to be an alcoholic and/or addict. Is there really a difference? Is the disease able to decipher what mind-altering substances we put in our bodies? I think someone mentioned semantics.

I guess theoretically an alcoholic could quit drinking for a year but continue to smoke pot everyday and pick up a year chip. Would I agree with that? No. Would most people in the rooms? I don't think so.

Sober. Clean. Clean & Sober. It is semantics. I think the idea is to abstain from all mind-altering substances. I quit doing coke about 10 years ago, but I don't celebrate that bc I continued to drink like a fish.

I guess it is your decision. Picking up the chip is supposed to be an honest declaration to the group of a period of sobriety, and one you ultimately would have to live with. JMO

pupkin 05-27-2014 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Br00ksie (Post 4677583)
If you are using drugs to self-medicate instead of alcohol, then you are not being completely sober. IMHO.

Completely agree, Br00ksie. And maybe it is semantics as other have said. I'm just saying that as an organization, AA's stated purpose is to combat alcohol addiction. If a token acknowledging honest, genuine success in that specific area can lend a person the strength conquer remaining addictions beyond alcohol ("outside issues"), then I have no argument with that person for accepting the token (with appropriate perspective).

My previous post does read a bit like I have an ax to grind on this topic, though, which I didn't THINK I did. . .at least I don't happen to personally share in the struggle with sobriety beyond alcohol. . .but I guess I did write the post.

I also didn't notice how old the thread was. I hope the OP is doing well.

AnvilheadII 05-28-2014 01:58 PM

as for the chip itself, you can walk into any 12 step store and BUY yourself as many chips for as many days or years as you like. the coin all by itself is meaningless.....it's what it MEANS TO YOU.

AA literature clearly states they do not have any comment on the use of drugs - they deal specifically with alcohol. NA was created for exactly that reason. and NA includes alcohol as a drug.

only you can really decide what sober means to you. and if using drugs affected that sobriety. but nobody will come do any forensic investigation into the veracity of your claim.....just do what brings you the most peace of mind.

SoberLife90 09-01-2015 06:51 AM

Well have you been conpletely sober for a whole year? If you use drugs are you really sober? It comes down to being honest with yourself. Do you think you deserve it?

Mountainmanbob 09-01-2015 07:35 AM

looks like the no votes got it

up top the sober mountain today
I would agree with that outcome

MM

Fly N Buy 09-01-2015 07:56 AM

The relevant question is did the OP pick up a three year chip?!?!

NoelleR 09-01-2015 08:32 AM

AA defines sober/sobriety as 'freedom from alcohol.' If the OP has not had any alcohol since his/her original sobriety date (4/9/11), as of today that person has 4 1/2 years of sobriety; at least according to AA (the organization not its individual members).

(o:
NoelleR

P.S. For specifics regarding this, see my previous post (#33).

Mountainmanbob 09-03-2015 02:13 AM

prescribed drugs ok ----- still sober
street drugs no way -----not sober
a sober one is not stoned -- unless they are deceiving themselves
MM

NoelleR 09-03-2015 04:09 AM

AA has a 'singleness of purpose' Alcohol/Alcoholics/Alcoholism.

The definition of the term 'sober,' according to AA (the organization, not individual AA members) is...........: 'Freedom from alcohol.' There's no mention of any other drugs, legal or illegal (these would be considered outside issues).

Therefore, if a person was taking any drugs (prescribed or street) besides alcohol, and was not on alcohol, that person would be considered sober, according to AA.

(o:
NoelleR

Mountainmanbob 09-03-2015 07:06 AM

okay that might be true in AA, but it would never hold any weight in the Bible

dr. Bob was a Bible believing man.

MM

wpainterw 09-03-2015 05:09 PM

As I recall it says on the chip, "To thine own self be true". I think that this quote from Shakespeare's "Hamlet" says it all. That's what sobriety is all about, the Resurrection, Rebirth of the "Self". I have a lot of chips, somewhere in my dresser drawer, rattling around, gathering dust. Haven't looked at them for years. Didn't ask for a 25 year chip. Don't intend to ask for a 30 year one.

W.

Serper2014 09-03-2015 08:59 PM

I think you should. You set out a goal to become sober and you did that for an entire year. Take the chip. Half of people in AA still smoke, but that is not considered by many to be a drug. It is, and it's more deadly than drinking and all other drugs combined. I say take the chip and if you want to get of all substances do so and go get an NA chip when you've completed that goal. Way to go!

Mountainmanbob 09-21-2016 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Serper2014 (Post 5542004)

Half of people in AA still smoke, but that is not considered by many to be a drug. It is, and it's more deadly than drinking and all other drugs combined.

My parents were super straight and even they I don't think would agree with that.

I would rather have a cigarette smoking wife than have her to be an active addict.

My wife would not leave me if I started smoking cigarettes again but, if I drink booze again she will be long gone.

Mountainmanbob

CAPTAINZING2000 09-23-2016 11:08 AM

I've got an addictive personality. I have no idea of where to even procure illegal substances except possibility of hooking up with someone at a bar.

Glad, I don't live where pot is legal. That being said, chances are if I'm taking drugs, I'll be drinking soon.
I've been to enough meetings that the people using the marijuana maintenance program never failed too well.

I got sober to be mentally, physically and spiritually fit.

The real question is, why does anyone feel the need to take something be it alcohol or drugs to change the way they feel.
I'm powerless over most everything except the way I feel. I've been granted a second chance at life, I have a freedom of choice today.

I choose to be happy, joyous and free. I give all that up should I take a drug.

We need to be honest with our Dr's. as well over our disease and addictions should we need any medications

As stated before, this is an old thread. We can all debate this until the cows come home

tomsteve 09-23-2016 11:43 AM

"it ok to use drugs in AA ??"

"Can I getmy AA one year chip ? If I slipped with drugs."

those 2 questions remind me of the saying on every anniversary chip/token/coin i have.

fred59 10-17-2016 09:54 AM

if you lie like my sponsor did he smoked pot the first 16 years he was sober but kept it to himself, finally came clean then I had more time than him then I lied after 23 years sober and drank for over over a year before telling him and I was going to meetings now he has more time than me, addiction is a killer.
The first 8,555 days sober I picked up 3 chips now at 6 months I have not picked up a chip, chips are fattening but good with salsa.:headbange