Notices

I tried to quit cold turkey...

Old 04-07-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I tried to quit cold turkey...

Got four days with nothing, I had been shivering, cold sweats, anxious, not sleeping, not hungry for 3 days. but it was enough to deal with. then on the fourth day, I was at work and out of no where I started puking, got cold sweats, I was shivering, my heart was pounding, I had to fake the flu..It was a sad moment for me. I was so happy to not be doing any pain pills, or anything..and I thought sense I hadnt really gotten sick yet, I was ok. I had to go and grab two hydros tens for my friend just to stop puking. I kno I really wanna quit though because I just got paid, and I only bought two pills. Just enough to keep me from getting sick.
treatment isnt an option, I have to quit without my boyfriend knowing I even had a problem. Weve been together for a year, and he doesnt do anything, he doesnt even drink. So he hasnt been able to tell Iv been on them, but If Im shaking, puking, and all that, Its ganna b hard to miss. He comes home today, plz help, any advise is appreciated.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have a solid relationship, you should not fear hiding everything from him. I know it is hard, and most of us have done it. But to deceive is to ultimately not give your relationship the honor it deserves, and ultimately your boyfriend. Stay strong. And the two hydros will only keep you from puking until you need the next two hydros. I know, because I just got off of them myself 11 days ago and I was taking 50mg a day for about 5 years WITH drinking. I had to taper myself and still puked and had the flu-like symptoms. You might want to consider a doctor's appointment. If not, perhaps it was not a good idea to quit cold turkey considering how involved you were. I know I could not have stopped cold turkey. I tapered for 3 weeks from 50mg down to 0 and it still was not easy. Best to you. Dig deep. You can do it.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

I don't have pill experience, but I have read that it is like having the flu when you withdrawal from them. A doctor may be needed.

We also have a forum for Substance Abuse, if you scroll down from the newcomer forum.

See a doctor, maybe you need a written taper from the doctor or other advice from the doctor.

I wish you well,
Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm trying to get clean as of today. I'm not much help. If I had a partner though, I would tell them. Is there a particular reason for the required ongoing secrecy?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm trying to get clean as of today. I'm not much help. If I had a partner though, I would tell them. Is there a particular reason for the required ongoing secrecy?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Welcome to SR!

I don't have pill experience, but I have read that it is like having the flu when you withdrawal from them. A doctor may be needed.

We also have a forum for Substance Abuse, if you scroll down from the newcomer forum.

See a doctor, maybe you need a written taper from the doctor or other advice from the doctor.

I wish you well,
I agree here. Most doctors are so willing to help if you are trying to get OFF medications and not just med-seeking. That is the very least I would do if you really feel you cannot confide in the boyfriend. I do think you really need to ask yourself why you cannot, however. If you are afraid of what he will think, then he has not been living with who you really are anyway. But again, I can relate. I have been married for 16 years and my wife is only now getting to know this side of me....and it is hard.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello!

I have experience dealing with opiates, I was addicted for a few years. I tried to quit cold turkey 3 times without success. Finally I decided to reach out for help and I have been off all opiates for over a year now

I know it might seem impossible but trust me you can do it. I tihnk you should tell your boyfriend though, if he loves you then he will support you. You will need some support.

Some people can quit cold turkey but some people can't, don't feel bad if you can't do it. I would strongly suggest going to an addiction clinic and the doctor will help you wean off. My doctor put me on suboxone and it really helped me. I was able to go to work and function and it took away all the really bad withdrawal symptoms from using opiates for so long.

I was scared too, I was scared to tell my boyfriend at the time as well but once I did I felt so much better. Just be honest and get it off your chest. That way maybe he could go with you to your appointment and offer you some support. Your doctor will be able to help you, you don't need to do this all on your own. I know it's scary but it's not brave if your not scared. Reach out for help chickie.

Once they put you on a program your whole life will turn around don't lose hope and don't give up. You can change your life and you don't have to live in agony and with cravings every day. Just go get some help otherwise you will keep relapsing. The withdrawals can be very bad and unless you have a whole week off from work it will be very difficult to do.

If you ever need to talk feel free to PM me.

Stay strong (big hug)

Olivia
Old 04-07-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with pills but I wanted to welcome you to the forums 070793

I know I directed you here but do also check out that other forum that was mentioned as well

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, Ive been very busy working, and I hiked twice this week with my brother up a Very tall mountain haha. I decided to wean myself off of them with the help of my mother. I bout a few pills, and gave them to her. shes been giving me one a day, just enough to keep me from getting sick. I work all weekend, then Im ganna take myself off the on call list for a week and fake the flu. My mothers being very supportive so I know I can do this. I still havent told my boyfriend. Hes very busy this time of year so its not like he will be around me while Im doing this. I know its not what I should be doing, but I dont see the point in putting extra stress on us when we both hav so much going on. Thank you again your words help so much, really, you guys keep me focused
Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

oopps, dont mind the spelling, I was typing fast. Meant :" I bought a few pills...."