Notices

A new day

Old 04-07-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A new day

Im totally amazed at waking up on a Saturday morning without a hangover!!

This must be what it's like to be 'normal'. I'm actually planning activities to do this weekend and looking forward to doing them rather than lying in bed feeling sick and hands shaking so much I can barely hold a coffee cup!
Used to cram the fridge full of alcohol to make sure I had enough to last the bank holiday weekend, there's only fruit juice and healthy food in there now!

How many years have I wasted?!

This feels good. Onward and upwards.....
Old 04-07-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

enjoy your day Jeni

D
Old 04-07-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Used to cram the fridge full of alcohol to make sure I had enough to last the bank holiday weekend, there's only fruit juice and healthy food in there now!

It's pretty amazing what we put ourselves through...Have a great holiday weekend Jeni!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

I remember the joy of Saturdays when I first got sober.Thank you so much for that reminder as I was just having a self pity moment because of what I have to do today.

Enjoy your weekend and hey who cares what the weather is like.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Jeni!

This is what got me back to being sober (up to 15 days now). I woke up on the Saturday, couldn't eat I was so ill. Had some fruit juice to try and get some sugar in me.. then threw up all over the bathroom sink as couldn't make it to the toilet in time. I was in bed until 4pm. Happy days.

Now I'm up and about and going swimming. Big difference in a short time frame.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a lovely thing to read this early Saturday morning! (Here in the U.S.) Enjoy your day Jeni! You deserve health and a good life. Best to you.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Nice thread, thanks. Have a good day.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi today is my first day of not drinking though to be truthful tomorrow will be the hardest day as i usually drink one day on one day off this has gone on since november. I had a gastric bypass on june 3rd and was fine till november then the dreaded christmas was coming i now hate christmas as in january 2009 i lost my son through suicide we buried him on my birthday and so i just felt stressed and miserable. I have been drinking half a bottle of gin every other day and i know i cant drink less and eventually begin to drink more so i need to nip it in the bud now!!! Its good to be here and not feel guilty to actually admit i have a drink problem ... i will beat this !!!! upward and onward congrats on your hangover free day
Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That attitude coupled with a solid recovery program will certainly bring positive results.

All the best Jeni !!

Bob R
Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jill2012 View Post
hi today is my first day of not drinking though to be truthful tomorrow will be the hardest day as i usually drink one day on one day off this has gone on since november. I had a gastric bypass on june 3rd and was fine till november then the dreaded christmas was coming i now hate christmas as in january 2009 i lost my son through suicide we buried him on my birthday and so i just felt stressed and miserable. I have been drinking half a bottle of gin every other day and i know i cant drink less and eventually begin to drink more so i need to nip it in the bud now!!! Its good to be here and not feel guilty to actually admit i have a drink problem ... i will beat this !!!! upward and onward congrats on your hangover free day
Hello Jill, it's good to meet you.

Bob R in the colonies.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im totally amazed at waking up on a Saturday morning without a hangover!!

This must be what it's like to be 'normal'. I'm actually planning activities to do this weekend and looking forward to doing them rather than lying in bed feeling sick and hands shaking so much I can barely hold a coffee cup!

Congratulations! This Saturday is very significant for me as well. It feels great, doesn't it? It is almost sad how we are so excited that we are doing something good for ourselves after mistreating ourselves for so long...it is all in the details. I am wide awake, too, and would usually be facing Saturday with a headache and being nauseated. Amazing to feel chipper and ready to go so early. I slept so well last night and felt like I got two nights' sleep instead of one. I could not believe it was only 8:15 am when I woke up. It felt like it could have been noon with the amount of rest I got.

I am proud of you and wish you a terrific weekend! How's it feel to be alive?
Old 04-07-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have a good Easter and surf those good feelings.
John.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In AA's "The Doctors Opinion" it discusses us alcoholic manic-depressive types. The highs and lows. I am one of those... are you?

My buddy said at a meeting a while ago "I fell off a 22' ladder yesterday"
I said "OMG.. are you alright !!??"
He said "Yes, it's a good thing I was only standing on the first rung" .....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-07-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Zee

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
In AA's "The Doctors Opinion" it discusses us alcoholic manic-depressive types. The highs and lows. I am one of those... are you?

My buddy said at a meeting a while ago "I fell off a 22' ladder yesterday"
I said "OMG.. are you alright !!??"
He said "Yes, it's a good thing I was only standing on the first rung" .....

All the best.

Bob R
Ha ha! I like that... very good. :rotfxko

Yeah, Its nice being sober!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No idea if I'm an alcoholic manic depressive?!

I do suffer from anxiety and depression for which I take meds. Am mostly on a low so it feels very good when the fog lifts and I can see again!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Zee

I get anxiety/depression/agrophobia/insomnia... Im not on meds as I self medicated myself with alcohol for too long. Now I have a damaged liver. Meh! Im ok though. My own fault! Alcohol exagerates whatever mood you are in. So now I logically try to think my way out of the bad symptoms, although its not perfect, its better than being drunk. Sometimes life deals you this c*ap! It could be worse... at least I have 2 arms and 2 legs... y'know some don't. Some are dealt crappier cards in life.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm now at the point of wondering whether I'm depressed cos I drank rather than the other way around. I also have insomnia, had forgotten that one, but that has got marginally better since I stopped drinking too.

What's the point of taking anti depressants when I then self medicate with alcohol which is the biggest depressant there is?!

Nothing is worse than feeling shame, sick and despair when recovering from excess. Facing issues head on has gotta be the way forward,

You are never alone on this site, a great place to find others to share with and confide in xx
Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm now at the point of wondering whether I'm depressed cos I drank rather than the other way around.
For myself....I found this to be true.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Jeni, glad you are sober! Alcohol can interfere with the effectiveness of the antidepressants. You are going to feel so much better!! Keep staying sober!

Jill, you have my condolences. You can stay stopped, too. Are you in a grief support group? The emotions you drank over will come rushing out as they were only stuffed inside of you. You can start a new thread by clicking on the blue New Thread on the upper left corner of the newcomer's forum page. Hugs,
Old 04-07-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are never alone on this site, a great place to find others to share with and confide in xx
Jeni, the same understanding and forgiveness is what I find in person in AA.

I haven't had the need for prescribed drugs (I'm just talking about me) in over 20 yrs.
AA's "How It Works" describes it well in the phrase "even those with grave emotional and mental disorders do recover if they have the capacity to be honest".
That pretty well fills all my needs.

All the best to everyone.

Bob R