Notices

Hi sr!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Hi sr!

Hello Everyone. I just wanted to start by saying I have been reading on here for a long time, all of you seem great and reading your posts have helped me in down times.

Ill keep it brief but I have been trying for a while now to get my sobriety. I have had many slip ups and thank god have not lost anything major. That being said, im getting close....errr, one step away from seeing it all fall down. Time to put up or shut up. I found myself in a whole new level of trouble (drinking at work, in the morning, etc) things I never would have thought of. The worst part is, it is not even enjoyable and I have started to see my mind slip. I know I have a problem and was continuing to drink, hoping that it would not fall apart, but after thinking about how the last week went, I have given up on that.

Also, just curious, has anyone gone through this mindless drinking? By that I mean not even sure why they are doing it, just almost out of habit? Its how I feel all the time, and totally baffles me...Feel great, no reason to grab a bottle but just do it anyway....senseless!

So I just wanted to say Hi, hope everyone has a great weekend and thanks again for all of your posts, they let me know that im not alone in this horrible struggle.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kinghank, and welcome to SR.

The short answer; no, you certainly aren't alone in your drinking patterns, and no, you certainly don't have to be alone as you change that pattern.

Many, many of us have broken the cycle and moved on to a much better way of living.

You can too!

See you on the boards!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Kinghank
Your story sounds very similar to mine.
Have you attended AA meetings?

Bob R
Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kinghank

Yeah I pretty much spent 5 years drinking like that.
Just celebrated 5 years sober so there is a way out

I think to break the cycle you really need to act - posting here is a great start - you'll find a ton of support and encouragement here - and if you find you need more support you'll find a lot of ideas on that too

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

The main thing tho - whatever you decide to do - is do something.
In my experience, inaction just leads to more drinking....

It may also be a really good idea to see your Dr - drinking like that can really do a number on us and detox can sometime be tricky - best to be safe

D
Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

2granddaughters, I have, at first I was totally uncomfortable, and still drinking (not attending drunk ever). It made me uncomfortable when they would say "the only requirement is the desire to quit drinking". I would think HA! what a joke I am. But I kept going and its starting to make sense. I will be going as usually tomorrow at 9AM and im looking forward too it.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee, that is awesome, congrats! Hearing things like that make me feel, and im sure others as well, that there is another side! I have spoken with my Dr a while back and he knows that deal, so being as safe as I can. Im also everyone can relate to the hell that is withdrawal.....going through it a little now but it honestly feels better than sitting here drunk!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome kinghank! I was like that, too. A lifelong drinker - & in the end I was drinking 24/7 to maintain a certain level or I'd start shaking. All the things I never dreamed I'd do happened - dui's, drinking at work, alienating my friends & family. My health was suffering & I was miserable - but still I drank obsessively.

I decided I didn't want to live in a fog anymore. I was always numb, stupid, and unreliable in the end. I reached out for help here at SR and they threw me a life preserver. I'm over 4 yrs. sober. You can do this king! You sound ready.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinghank View Post
Hey guys,

2granddaughters, I have, at first I was totally uncomfortable, and still drinking (not attending drunk ever). It made me uncomfortable when they would say "the only requirement is the desire to quit drinking". I would think HA! what a joke I am. But I kept going and its starting to make sense. I will be going as usually tomorrow at 9AM and im looking forward too it.
Excellent, King, probably time to step up in the group, get a sponsor, get involved.
If I want what the oldtimers have , I have to do what the oldtimers did.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome kinghank! I've been sober for 15 days and I'm 1 week new to SR. You're definitely in the right place. These boards have been a tremendous support over the past week and it has been a great source of inspiration and information.

If so many others are living a better life because of their sobriety, then so can we!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinghank View Post
Also, just curious, has anyone gone through this mindless drinking? By that I mean not even sure why they are doing it, just almost out of habit? Its how I feel all the time, and totally baffles me...Feel great, no reason to grab a bottle but just do it anyway....senseless!
Oh yeah....I did that for my last few years of drinking....Senseless?......Painful was more like it...I think I only put myself through that because I had no choice....I couldn't live with it and I convinced myself I couldn't live without it.....I was desperate and scared....I'm not a big fan of having something control me...But alcohol did. AA was my way out...If you are going to use that program...Get a sponsor and work the 12 steps.....Go to meetings and don't drink....That's what works....I've been around it long enough to see how different the results are for people that work the steps...And people that don't. Hang around with the people that have worked the steps....They're the ones that look happy. It will take away the drink problem and change the way you live.....Just like it promises you in the book...Between AA and this site....I'm enjoying being sober....You can too.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

It is easy to forget that it is a biological addiction. The addiction needs to sustain itself independently of anything else
Old 04-07-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR kinghank.Glad you are going to AA meetings.I tried for years to stop drinking on my own,one time I did 3years sober,I had no defence against the first drink though and was soon back in trouble when I picked up again.

The programme of Alcoholics Anonymous has worked for me,I wish you well.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! I hope this makes you feel better, but I will also concur that you are not unique (at least in your drinking. :-) ) Glad to have you with us. Looking forward to watching your progress.