Notices

One Week

Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Week

Today marks one day of not drinking for me. I have had many starts and stops over the past year or so, but I something feels different this time. I think the other times, I felt like I was making a sacrifice, depriving myself, maybe a little bit like a diet. But this time, I am doing it because I am seeing that THIS is how life should be and this is how I should feel. No secrets, no hangovers, no figuring out how to get it or when to drink it or do I have enough. I feel confident, and in control of my thoughts and actions. I sleep good, I wake up rested, my eyes are clear, my skin looks good, and I am losing weight. When I am tempted to drink, I just ask myself, "do I really want to give up this feeling for a glass of wine? Which of course, is never a glass of wine, it's a whole bottle." And the answer is no way. Of course, there are dull times, boring times, times I just wish I could have a glass to relax. But I remind myself that those days are over, it only ends up hurting me in the end. Addiction is powerful, it can be consuming. But I look to so so many who have changed their lives for the better by ending their "relationship" with alcohol, and see new doors open and a new life to live. I want that to be me. This is the best I've felt in a long, long time.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations forabetterlife

D
Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

Congrats. I know exactly how you feel!!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's really good, forabetterlife. I especially like the part you wrote about the "no secrets", no hangovers, etc. It is so freeing to be without the ball & chain.

I think you meant marks one week though, right? Not one day?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We can do this together. Today marks 1 week for me. I tell myself the same thing. I say to myself sometimes just one glass would be so nice (yeah right one glass, one glass led to 2 plus bottles of wine)....but then i realized how great I have been feeling these past 7 days. I wait up refreshed w/o bloodshot eyes, without the feelings of guilt, regret, worries and anxiety. When I wake up now I feel like I am ready to conquer the world I feel more confident about myself today then I ever did before. I don't question myself like I use to and I feel empowered. I too have seen and heard about so many people recovering from alcohol, if they can it with the help of AA...so can I . I look forward to reaching my weekly, monthly and yearly milestones.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you in your positive outlook. Hope the best for you.
I have been drinking for most part of 30 years and the last several years it has increased to where my health is taking a serious hit. I have another doctor appointment in three weeks and promised the doc 3 months ago that I would eat better, cut down on the booze, exercise, lose some weight....... all of which I have not done to this point. Have a feeling my high BP and cholesterol will not have magically gone down..... what a shock!
I doubt me taking bp medicine and lots of niacin can overcome my apathetic lifestyle.
I am working all weekend as usual and I figure this is a good time to try to stop again.
Today is day 1 for me and am going to try to cease all alcohol for my health and for those in my life. Have 3 weeks left to try to "fool" the doctor into thinking I have changed my ways...... I have a pretty good life, if I would jut wake up and take advantage of what I have been given. Time will tell.
Keep up the good work. Happy Easter!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

I was so relieved when I could wake up and not have to struggle to remember who I might have called last evening or what I might have said or done. I no longer had to start the day with a feeling of dread and shame.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I felt like that when I first quit, too. I don't know how I stood all those ups & downs over the years - it was madness.

Very proud of you forabetterlife - one week is amazing! It'll keep getting better.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, MsJax, I did mean one week! Mistakes can be made dead sober too I guess!
I also feel peaceful and even, no more madness, drama or out of control situations. Not ever day is easy, but I do not ever want to lose this feeling or go back to where I was . EVER. Thanks for the support, it feels so great to come here and see there are so many people rooting for you and going similar struggles, good and bad.