Notices

Day 1 of New Me

Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 of New Me

I hope nobody minds my starting a thread to track my progress and to give me a chance to honestly record my feelings and journey.

It's Day 1 for me. For the last few days I have been experiencing what I think is some liver/kidney pain and it has scared me. I'm also nauseous and often vomit in the morning (not proud of admitting that) and I know that my body is warning me that this problem and my drinking is serious and I have serious problems ahead if I don't address it.

So Day 1 nearly under my belt, I'm scared but I really hope I can do this and I will give it every bit of strength I have.

Anyway, heading off now have my nephew this evening and he wants pizza
Old 04-06-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done for day one. They all count and all help.
John.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

just a reminder, we also have the ability to blog on this site!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Smile

Congratulations on Day One!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 1 newme7....Be careful with detoxing...Seek appropriate medical help if you need it.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newme7 View Post
I hope nobody minds my starting a thread to track my progress and to give me a chance to honestly record my feelings and journey.

It's Day 1 for me. For the last few days I have been experiencing what I think is some liver/kidney pain and it has scared me. I'm also nauseous and often vomit in the morning (not proud of admitting that) and I know that my body is warning me that this problem and my drinking is serious and I have serious problems ahead if I don't address it.

So Day 1 nearly under my belt, I'm scared but I really hope I can do this and I will give it every bit of strength I have.

Anyway, heading off now have my nephew this evening and he wants pizza
I promised myself that I wouldn't tell everybody to attend AA meetings regularly... so I won't.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back newme

I think it's a good idea to see a Dr if you have pain or are unwell.

Giving it all you have is great - you need to do that - but it's good to work out a plan for staying sober too I think - have you given that any thought?

D
Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi newme - I ditto getting help for detox if you need it. Stay in today and focus on the next right step - be patient with yourself, too. The first time we do something sober is the hardest, but it gets easier as you go along.

Congrats on day 1 - way to go!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

newme,
I keep a daily journal here too! I like just being held accountable by myself. When I want to seriously cave into the desire to drink it's hard to knowing that I will have to come here and say "I caved"
I look forward to seeing you later! Please, keep it up!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the supportive messages.

Would love to be able to say Day 3 done but I can't.

Day 2 was fine, stayed in, slept alot, just feel tired all the time. No alcohol.

Day 3 - went to cinema Titanic in 3d got a cappucino going in and in the first few minutes actually felt euphoric, a lovely clean feeling, life is good I'm enjoying this a normal persons life.

Within minutes the inner thoughts start about getting drink afterwards and that's it the moment is gone and I have this monkey on my back that will not let me go. I hate it, I ******* hate this scourge that will not leave me alone. That was it and without anyone knowing I spent the full 3 hours trying to argue with myself and on the way home I gave in like the weak person I am.

Day 1 again tomorrow
Old 04-08-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

A journal is great but I think theres more uses to SR

Next time maybe post here first?

The folks here at SR really helped me through those inner turmoil moments...talking with me, challenging my ideas, making me see it was a really bad idea...

above all they made me see I don't have to give in to the monkey - I have the power to make the monkey let go...in fact I needn't engage the 'monkey' at all

D
Old 04-08-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I promised myself that I wouldn't tell everybody to attend AA meetings regularly... so I won't.
There are times I cannot keep from laughing out loud. Like you Bob, neither will I speak of the host of benefits that accrue, nor of the easy membership requirements for the organization. Thanks Bob
Old 04-08-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newme7 View Post
Thanks to all for the supportive messages.

Would love to be able to say Day 3 done but I can't.

Day 2 was fine, stayed in, slept alot, just feel tired all the time. No alcohol.

Day 3 - went to cinema Titanic in 3d got a cappucino going in and in the first few minutes actually felt euphoric, a lovely clean feeling, life is good I'm enjoying this a normal persons life.

Within minutes the inner thoughts start about getting drink afterwards and that's it the moment is gone and I have this monkey on my back that will not let me go. I hate it, I ******* hate this scourge that will not leave me alone. That was it and without anyone knowing I spent the full 3 hours trying to argue with myself and on the way home I gave in like the weak person I am.

Day 1 again tomorrow
wow, three hours arguing with the scourge, that must have been painfull, really, I know what you mean. well, you drank one day out of three, that's better than three out of three
Old 04-08-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is tough. I found I needed a program of recovery to follow and people to talk to for support. I needed to learn how other people who had been in my shoes had turned their lives around to live a sober life. Find a program of recovery that works for you, commit to it, and follow through. Recovery is hard in the beginning so embrace the support and help when people offer it. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi newme! In the beginning I had a sort of 'warm up' period, where I'd keep failing at quitting. Sometimes I think we need to prove to ourselves that we truly have no control - that moderation isn't possible for us. Once I got that, I stopped all attempts at social drinking - I knew for me that would never be possible.

I'm concerned about the health issues you mention. I hope you can get some medical help & check out what's causing those pains. Very glad you are here with us.