Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

Enjoy having your misery refunded.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by OldRocker View Post
I'll probably die of ventricular fibrillation from my knackered heart, so it will be sudden, painless and excitable.
........if you're lucky.

A lot of our bodies hang on MUCH longer than we suspect and then you'll get to enjoy the path my dad is on........ 12+ years of misery, hate, self disgust, no courage to shoot himself, loss of bowels, adult diapers, total alienation of everyone who loves him, loneliness, depression.........all wrapped up in a body that SHOULD fail but just won't.

My brother, mom and I PRAY daily that some sort of merciful God will finally take him out of the hell he's been in for over a decade.

Sobriety isn't for everyone though. I took the punk-way-out for as long as I could take it so I can't blame you for doing the same. If you decide it's not working and are ready to try recovery for once in your life, lemme know. I'd be glad to help you out - and yeah, there's a HUGE difference between not drinking and recovery. "Not drinking" didn't "work" any better for me than it did for you........and drinking didn't work any better for me than it has for you. That leaves recovery and drying an alcoholic death. If you ever want help with the former, lemme know. I'd be glad to help you in any way I can.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pretty rude and inconsiderate, I think.
But whatever floats your boat.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
So it goes

OR
We have to let you make your choice
"Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game."

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"
Voltaire.
Your life, your choice, I dont agree with what you are doing, but you have played cricket and told us of your decision
I wish you luck sir.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I do...I think he's some kind of an arrogant self serving A-hole to come onto a recovery site with people struggling with thier lives to send this kind of message....At least have the dignity to spare these people that supported you from this lunacy that will kill you.....That's just my opinion.

Come on guys, take it with a pinch of salt. Dude had a fricken heart attack, and he's not allowed to overreact?

Why not unload on us? We unload on each other every day. So it's a little extreme - our shoulders are broad.

And it's not exactly a mission statement that's going to send me flying to the bottle.

Old Rocker, I love you. I hope to keep loving you for a long time yet.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No Judgements...Old rocker, i hope you will be happy with any path you choose.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

oh geeez! Still Sleeping did you have to go and put it that way. Yeah, hey dude, maybe give yourself a day or two.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree with Stillsleeping...I think this posts shows just how much control alcohol can have over us if we allow it too.

Oldrocker..You clearly are not in a good place at the moment. You might want to serious rethink this course of action. Cannot see how it could possible turn out well for either you or your wife.

good luck.

Jim
Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i think there is a difference between unloading and triggering. gotta be thoughtful of those fighting for their lives here.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
So it goes

I agree
AA does teach tolerance (the Beatitudes teach that too, but too many people quote Leviticus)
For once Sapling , I disagree with something you say

OR has made a decision, we may not agree, but I for one respect his right to do it
Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Come on guys, take it with a pinch of salt.
Tell you the truth...I could give a rat's ass what this guy does...Maybe I'm more concerned with the people with so much less sobriety than you have.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I personally think the post and thread should be removed. What message is it sending to those brave enough to join today? That we don't take this seriously? (shudder...)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

"I'll probably die of ventricular fibrillation from my knackered heart, so it will be sudden, painless and excitable."

You hope. That would certainly be the best case scenario. But we don't get to choose how we leave this world, unfortunately. The rocker world is full of tragic examples of how people "went out in flames." And none of them are pretty stories.

Even Ozzy got sober ... and I'll bet he'd say it was the best thing he ever did.

Wish we could change your mind. I'd hate to see your name go up in lights next to John Bonham, Steve Clark, Bon Scott, Rory Gallagher, Ron McKernan, John Pazanno, Amy Winehouse, Jani Lane, and ... well, the list goes on. Sadly.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Tell you the truth...I could give a rat's ass what this guy does...Maybe I'm more concerned with the people with so much less sobriety than you have.
People come on this site every day saying that they've relapsed. We welcome them with open arms. People post drunk, or high, or shooting up, and we welcome them with open arms.

Old Rocker's said he hates being sober and wants to die. Why is everyone so angry with him? So newbies are seeing someone dramatically fall off the wagon. How is that a bad thing?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

what brought you here in the first place, OldRocker?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
So it goes

To allay confusion, my comment here was agreeing with stills below
I think Still got that, but the place it ended may not make it clear.

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
I agree
AA does teach tolerance (the Beatitudes teach that too, but too many people quote Leviticus)
For once Sapling , I disagree with something you say

OR has made a decision, we may not agree, but I for one respect his right to do it
Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Come on guys, take it with a pinch of salt. Dude had a fricken heart attack, and he's not allowed to overreact?

Why not unload on us? We unload on each other every day. So it's a little extreme - our shoulders are broad.

And it's not exactly a mission statement that's going to send me flying to the bottle.

Old Rocker, I love you. I hope to keep loving you for a long time yet.
Instead of criticising remember the 5th tradition
"Each group has but one primary purpose-to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers."
Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Your choice bro I am sure SR will be here if you reconsider. In the mean time I hope you are happy and have fun! Or as my friends would say rock out with your (censored male chicken) out!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

OldRocker is saying sober is not for him, that he is going to go out having fun, with his rock and roll and friends. and that he is probably going to live longer than lots of people in recovery. what message does that send to a young kid looking for a reason to believe that there will be life after getting sober ?
I think we all wish for rocker to live and find the happiness that true recovery can bring.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm pretty new to this community and this is the first posting I've seen from Old Rocker. I don't know the guy or his story but I gather he's been in the hospital and had some bad news about his heart.

I'm going to die an alcoholic. I don't know how and I don't know when but I will, most assuredly, die an alcoholic. That's a commonly true statement for, pretty much, all of us.

I do, however, have a choice about how I die and an alcoholic death is neith pretty nor pleasant. Not for the person going through it, the people taking care of him or the people he leaves behind.

I'm not interested in beating anybody up for the choices they make but I will reserve the right to say a prayer that Old Rocker goes on a righteous toot and gets it out of his system, then gains a little perspective on his situation.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I get a kick out of ppl getting all out of whack and upset that someone has judged another harshly...........all the while, they're harshly judging the person they're accusing of judging.

It's stuff like this that blew up over time and led most AA meetings to encourage sharing from one's own EXPERIENCE only. Don't have any actual experience with the topic.....then keep quiet. If you do, then talk of your experience.....don't lecture - don't "teach." Opinions, judgements, etc don't tend to carry much weight, rarely accomplish what the person serving them up hopes for, and usually backfire dramatically.

Alcoholics are, if nothing else, great entertainment.