Notices

Starting Week 3 on Saturday...

Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Week 3 on Saturday...

Hi all,

I've knocked booze on the head. For good. I joined here a couple of years ago and made a handful of posts and tried to give up after a blackout night - but this time, after my recent blackout, it was like a light switch just flicked in my head - I kind of knew that this was it. I am in it for the long haul.

So far has been ok, but I have to admit the last few days, I've been feeling quite depressed. I'm not worried about drinking again because of it, because I know that if I do, this bout of depression will be nothing compared to what I will have to deal with.

Here's my theory in alleviating these symptoms, I'd appreciate any feedback - alcohol consumption initially releases seratonin right? I think so. So without the regular feeling after having those first few drinks each night maybe thats whats dragging me down. I've heard that 5-htp helps to release seratonin in the brain which result in feelings of well being. Anyone tried it? I hear it is natural and the side effects are minimal aside from very vivid dreams.

Anyway, thats my situation at the moment and am feeling very strong about continuing my journey. Had 4 or 5 situations in the last 3 weeks where alcohol was freely available. It disgusts me now after analyzing what it does to people lives - so no problem in refusing it, at least for now.

Cheers
PD
Old 04-04-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back PD - congrats on 3 weeks

I don't know anything about serotonin - but, personally, I always advise people check with their Dr or some other medical professional before starting supplements - whats worked for others may not work, or may not even be suitable, for you.

D
Old 04-04-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

I don't know anything about 5-htp but there are many mood changes in early recovery. I think exercising is a good way to elevate serotonin levels. And, as Dee said, checking with your dr is always a good idea.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi PD,
Good job on 3 weeks.
I agree with Dee. But, I always agree with Dee.
Stick with a good multivit and a healthy diet.
Any messing around with stuff at this stage might make you dependent on the "placebo effect" if not worse.
Any thoughts on a recovery group? AA, AVRT, Smart, Lifering?
Read about them here on SR and see if anything sounds good to you.
Face to face support can be very helpful.
I go to AA and come on here a lot.
Best of luck to you and again, well done.
Anne
Old 04-04-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I found this:

"5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a chemical by-product of the protein building block L-tryptophan. It is also produced commercially from the seeds of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

Don’t use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP."

If the brain is having a problem producing it, let the brain heal. It's like taking a multi-vitamin without having the true ability to absorb it properly. Just let yourself heal properly and try not to self-medicate.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hollyanne View Post
Hi PD,
Good job on 3 weeks.
I agree with Dee. But, I always agree with Dee.
Stick with a good multivit and a healthy diet.
Any messing around with stuff at this stage might make you dependent on the "placebo effect" if not worse.
Any thoughts on a recovery group? AA, AVRT, Smart, Lifering?
Read about them here on SR and see if anything sounds good to you.
Face to face support can be very helpful.
I go to AA and come on here a lot.
Best of luck to you and again, well done.
Anne
Thanks Anne. I'm not too interested in the AA to be honest, although I don't doubt its help with millions of others.

I've started seeing a therapist who me and my wife went to recently as a result of the problems alcohol was having on our marriage. I'm seeing him again tomorrow, but just me this time. I told him I quit and it's good to know I will be seeing him for a while and that I can say yep I haven't touched a drop....(cheese fondue last night round at friends - wow didn't realise how much wine was in that cheese sauce!! - I turned down the beer 3 times citing a meeting the following morning - tangent there sorry)

I read Allen Carr's book 'the only way to stop drinking' and it has had a profound effect on the way I view alcohol - I would highly recommend it by the way.

Anyway, if I feel the monster on my shoulder I'll keep checking here - it really helps!

Beware the CHEESE FONDUE!!:rotfxko
Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I found this:

"5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a chemical by-product of the protein building block L-tryptophan. It is also produced commercially from the seeds of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

Don’t use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP."

If the brain is having a problem producing it, let the brain heal. It's like taking a multi-vitamin without having the true ability to absorb it properly. Just let yourself heal properly and try not to self-medicate.
Interesting - I'll read up on this.

Wise words by the way thanks. Why would I replace one poison for something else? Let nature take its course.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I found this:

I just found that exact passage with the title of the writing that 5-htp and EMS links are ill founded, it goes on to say the following.

The precursor of 5-HTP was L-tryptophan which was used as a dietary supplement until it was banned in 1989 due to an outbreak of EMS that was traced to a contaminated lot of 5-HTP from one manufacturer. Because of its chemical and biochemical relationship to L-tryptophan, concerns have been raised about 5-HTP and there were reports of a possible EMS-like contamination with 5-HTP in 1994. But a 2004 study reviewed all of the earlier studies and reports on 5-HTP and came to this conclusion:

"no definitive cases of toxicity have emerged despite the worldwide usage of 5-HTP for last 20 years, with the possible exception of one unresolved case of a Canadian woman. Extensive analyses of several sources of 5-HTP have shown no toxic contaminants similar to those associated with L-Trp, nor the presence of any other significant impurities. A minor chromatographic peak (peak X) reported in some 5-HTP samples lacks credibility due to chromatographic artifacts and infinitesimal concentrations, and has raised undue speculations concerning its chemistry and toxicity."

A 2006 study at Georgetown University's Medical Center on whether 5-HTP causes EMS experimented with a group of rats and concluded that "no significant evidence of EMS was seen in rats receiving high-dose 5-HTP for 1 year."

Once again, as with the concerns about 5-HTP and carbidopa (see posting below), a single ambiguous finding has led to repeated website warnings despite the fact that 5-HTP has been very widely used for years without any verifiable reports of EMS contamination.

If the brain is having a problem producing it, let the brain heal. It's like taking a multi-vitamin without having the true ability to absorb it properly. Just let yourself heal properly and try not to self-medicate.[/QUOTE]