Notices

Stay away from triggers...

Old 04-04-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stay away from triggers...

Hello,

Another newbie question from me....

My younger brother has asked me to spend easter with him and my other brother. Younger brother is an alcoholic, other brother binges.

I love them both, haven't seen them for months so would be great to see them and I'm feeling lonely. But I'm 11 days sober. Is the whole points of recovery admitting you cannot be around situations like this in the early days? I'm thinking negatively as if I don't see them I'll be alone and at meetings, but I'm assuming that unless I get on and do this properly I'll slip back again and again.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Meetings?...You won't get drunk there......Two brothers with drinking problems and you have 11 days sober?....I don't know what the odds are on that.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes. you're right. I need to come to terms with this (I don't mean that negatively as I know rationally stopping drinking will be the best thing for me ever).

Meetings it will be. Do other people struggle with this thinking initially? I'm hoping so and I'm not doomed for failure.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
So it goes

Have you told them you are quitting because you are in AA. There is the chance that they will support you. I would see if that is an option, otherwise it is probably safer to stay away for now
Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
Have you told them you are quitting because you are in AA. There is the chance that they will support you. I would see if that is an option, otherwise it is probably safer to stay away for now
Middle brother will be confused I think. Plus there is so much family resentment (no-ones fault, we were just brought up in dysfunction land) that we drink a lot when together (or did).

I will see them all at a later date, when much, much longer in my sobriety
Old 04-04-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
So it goes

Families!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My younger brother won't go to AA...He's too smart....He'll get there one day...It may cost him his family...His house....His job and everthing else....I've never seen someone to dumb to get this program....But I've seen people to smart to get it.
As far as struggling with thinking like that...I kept myself too busy listening to my sponsor and working the steps right off the bat to think about much else....It worked.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lol at the families link Billypilgrim (it won't let me quote as I'm too new).. he's actually the poet who was based in the town I was born in. I walked past his statue yesterday in the train station. And that poem is very true.. thank you for the reminder.. none of us mean to do it, it just happens.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks sapling... I'll get my sponsor arranged, otherwise I'll drift. My thinking is what got me to the drinking state. No more.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hey a Hull man!
I quite like the majesty of the Humber, and that great bridge.
Keep posting regen, you are in a good place.
BP
Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by regeneration View Post
My thinking is what got me to the drinking state.
My thinking almost cost me my life. It did cost me everything else.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Meetings it will be. Do other people struggle with this thinking initially? I'm hoping so and I'm not doomed for failure.
Hey fellow newbie! Yeah this is a struggle to start with. I would stay clear, especially if your brothers aren't fully supportive of your recovery. Who needs the pressure? This thing is tough enough without it...

Rooting for you,

Still xxx
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Regeneration,
You know what you need to do and yes it is too early in sobriety. Family is my biggest trigger.
The best thing you can do is achive a successful and happy sobriety. That would be the best example you can show your brothers, show that it can be done.
Good on you.

All the best
CaiHong
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Regeneration! I too have a similar situation for attending Easter with my drinking family. I have only been sober for 2 days now. I plan to attend for I love my family,but it will require restraint not to drink.. If they ask me why I am not drinking, I'll tell them I have had enough. I will not preach to them. It will be a delicate situation.

I say this for one of my brothers at the age of 38 died of alcoholism (fatty liver). I wish I spent more time with him...even if he was drinking...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by losangelesguy View Post
Hello Regeneration! I too have a similar situation for attending Easter with my drinking family. I have only been sober for 2 days now. I plan to attend for I love my family,but it will require restraint not to drink.. If they ask me why I am not drinking, I'll tell them I have had enough. I will not preach to them. It will be a delicate situation.

I say this for one of my brothers at the age of 38 died of alcoholism (fatty liver). I wish I spent more time with him...even if he was drinking...

Wow good luck dude. And welcome to SR brilliant to have you on board!

xxx
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you stillsleeping for the kind words!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by losangelesguy View Post
It will be a delicate situation.
Welcome to SR losangelesguy....I imagine it will be...Good luck...And sorry about your brother. That's way too young.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I understand about triggers (mine is breathing), but I sure wouldn't want to be around an active alcoholic at 11 days. Could you just hunker in for the holiday weekend and work on you? Read, movies, walks...anything but but place yourself in a tempting situation?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello,

Another newbie question from me....

My younger brother has asked me to spend easter with him and my other brother. Younger brother is an alcoholic, other brother binges.

I love them both, haven't seen them for months so would be great to see them and I'm feeling lonely. But I'm 11 days sober. Is the whole points of recovery admitting you cannot be around situations like this in the early days? I'm thinking negatively as if I don't see them I'll be alone and at meetings, but I'm assuming that unless I get on and do this properly I'll slip back again and again.

Thanks.
Are they able to not drink around you?

Have you asked them not to drink around you?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard