Notices

I'm new and scared

Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome - I am new here as far as posting - one of my promises to myself was that I would be present here every day. Anyway, my 1st cousin died from a car accident while intoxicated after being an alcoholic for many, many years. Her ex-husband would put her in rehab (he was very wealthy) and then pick her up and stop off for dinner and have drinks right in front of her.

I was younger when this was all going on - her getting admitted to the hospital and whatnot, but still in my early 20's. I remember then thinking that it mattered most that she admit her problem and tackle it. It sounds like you are there - wonderful news!!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Have you read about AVRT? Do an internet search!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReluctantHope View Post
Although my initial motivation to get sober was my love for my husband and our marriage, I can honestly say that I want this for myself. I don't know that "ready" is the proper word here, but certainly willing.
Hello again

So glad you're feelin a little better, and still posting. And that you're ready for the plunge! It is hard, but so worth it. Look forward to seeing you around. Tell your H to put the beer away! xx
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to SR!

There are lots of paths to recovery. It's great you're going to check out the women's meeting at AA. If you want to check into AVRT as well, as Sugarbear mentioned, there's a terrific ongoing discussion on the secular connections section of SR. They're on like the fourth part now, but it all began several months ago right here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...iscussion.html

I can't even imagine the rest of my life sober
I know—it was just completely unfathomable to me. I didn't know how I would relax, celebrate, cope with stress... I couldn't even imagine washing dinner dishes with a drink in my hand. But you know what? That's just an illusion our addiction creates. It turns out everything is easier without alcohol—bad days are more manageable, good says are more enjoyable, and uneventful days are kind of satisfying too, in a very serene way. It's hard adjusting at first, but soon you'll find yourself acclimating, and next thing you know you'll be thinking, "Why didn't I quit way sooner? Life is so much better this way!"

PS: Very uncool—or perhaps simply uneducated—move by your husband and son. It's your problem, for sure, but hopefully they can find there way to being a bit more understanding of just how hard it is to be surrounded by booze in the early days.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good for you. When do you plan to go to your first SMART meeting?

The principal means of connecting with members worldwide who are adressing various problems (some do have alcohol issues) is on their website. It's less than 1/3 as active as SR, so you may want to continue talking here as well just to feel someone is listening.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
It turns out everything is easier without alcohol—bad days are more manageable, good says are more enjoyable, and uneventful days are kind of satisfying too, in a very serene way.
AWESOME is it okay if I steal this? :ghug3